OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Optimize for students use with gestures

Please optimize OneNote for students use. I'm printing my PDF's of my lectures to OneNote on my Surface Pro 3.
    So I have all my lectures always in OneDrive and can edit them with my Surface pen wherever I'am.

But for a smarter user experience OneNote needs some new view options like Microsofts PDF Reader app. That shows you all pages if you pinch to zoom out. You could add for example a new gesture to open this view mode (for example swiping down with thre fingers).
    And there should be an option to switch to another page with an…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. copy/paste whole page

I need to copy/paste (or at least) duplicate pages. I'm planning my days by copying previous day page + deleting all completed tasks. Right now such a pattern works only I classic desktop application. I want in on windows phone (and in win10 universal app)

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. PLEASE disable the horizontal sidebar or allow me to. Every time I maximize one note the page centers and I have to scroll left.

I love onenote but I get very frustrated everytime I maximize the application. It centers the page even if there is NOTHING to the right on the active page. I am left staring at white space and have to scroll left. I think this is directly related to other pages in the notebook that have bigger width. But im not sure. PLEASE fix this it is very frustrating. I dont even want to go horizontal at all

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add support for javascript

It would be great if you could add some scripting to OneNote. Maybe a subset of javascript? I understand that scripting can be dangerous, but being able to use some elements (table cells) or check boxes, or maybe a special variable element would be very useful for things like D&D character sheets.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Ability to change font size on OneNote TABS

We need to be able to format the font on the OneNote TABS. I need it to be bigger and in some cases, it would be nice to be able to make it bold (like for main pages) or different colors. One generic font does not fit all.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. OneNote integration with sticky notes .

Please integrate sticky notes with one note!! Add keyboard shortcut to create a sticky note and that note should sync with my onenote account. Add the ability to Customize sticky note (like fonts and the ability to add pictures etc.). And once I remove a note from my desktop screen it should not get deleted (until I delete it from my oneNote).I know it sounds so much sticky note instead of oneNote, but just think this way as a user one wants their notes right in front of them and sticky note does that job. It will make oneNote more…

139 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add line smoothing in handwriting on Surface 3 and Surface Pro

On iOS, many stylus focused writing apps such as "GoodNotes" feature some form of "trajectory smoothing" for handwriting strokes. This makes handwriting look more natural when using a passive or active stylus where usually the friction of the pen and screen combination is different from pen and regular paper. All this can make handwriting look vastly more natural.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Syncing

There are evident issues with OneNote's syncing capabilities. If syncing cannot be done optimally, at least let us upload our own exported OneNote notebooks on the OneNote website

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have heard your feedback loud and clear and we have ongoing efforts to improve the reliability of our sync pipeline. There has been a bunch of improvements already integrated but we know we have more to go. I am marking this as “Started”, feel free to respond with your comments and let us what the experience looks like for you today, compared to when you originally posted or upvoted this request.

Thank you for helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.
    For a list of features added to OneNote for Windows 10 please visit the following article
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea

10. One Note Needs a Page Setup like in Excel

It is not possible to Print out large Notes in OneNote without wasting lot of time in editing every single page or loosing quality.
    There should be something to add Frames to define the content of every page and a seperated page Setup for Size and margins. (similar to Excel, it can do it for Ages ;)

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Ability to share only few sections or pages to the external Users

It would be great if there is a facility to share only few pages/sections to the users. Also it would also helpful if you allow us to create public URL for the same.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. [New pages at the top in the pages list] Neue Seiten zu oberst in der Seiten Liste

Es ist natürlich, dass neue Einträge in einer Liste oben erscheinen. Oder erscheinen in Ihrem Outlook neue Mails unten im Posteingang?
    Meine OneNote listet zugefügte Seiten aber unten, am Ende der Liste.
    Gerne hätten wir die Option, dass neu zugefügte Seiten oben erscheinen.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Download My Notebooks as Files

We should be able to download full notebooks as other files, preferably PDF files compatible with other applications. It would make notebooks easier to share offline. It would also mean having the ability to print entire notebooks or at least sections at once rather than just page by page.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Batch Notes, off-line first

Batch notes, e.g., scanned receipts can only be done one-by-one which takes a lot of user time.

If this could be done off-line first and then synced with One drive it would save a lot of time for the operator/user.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Ability to select multiple rule line formats in app

Ability to select multiple rule line formats in app

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Customize OneNote view

I would like to see the availability to customize OneNote views and colors

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Win:Dedicated "Search" window (ie. won't disappear after clicking out)

• While you're performing a OneNote Search:

• IF (say by accident), you Click out on another window (say on Word).

• Your Search Stops/Ends.

• You have to Start a new Search(ie. start again searching for the same thing).

• Indexing won't help when dealing with password-protected Sections.

Please mitigate this behaviour because it is:
    1. Extremely frustrating.
    2. Time consuming.

Suggestions:
    - Allow Search window to popup on its own dedicated window.
    - Allow background searching without immediately cleaning the results.

Thanks for reading.

Regards,
    A. Matesi.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. [Implementation of VBA macro language] Implementierung von VBA als Makrosprache

Wenn OneNote auch VBA unterstützt, werden in kurzer Zeit viele neue Erweiterungen entstehen, da diese Sprache weit verbreitet ist und viel mehr Möglichkeiten bietet, als die etwas holprig wirkende Makrosprache derzeit.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Auto-numbering option like the MS Project "WBS" feature

To encourage OneNote adoption, consider an auto-numbering option that can turn numbering on and off like how it is on MS Project's WBS feature. This numbering makes it easier to navigate from a given Notebook->Tab->Page, keeping in mind each Page should have the option of numbering, like how Word has it. It helps create order. Lawyers will love this feature, and I would help it become adopted by legal organizations like the Ontario Paralegal Association, for whom I am a media sponsor.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Restore 2010's persistent Notebook/tab navigation pane branching option ripped away in 2013

OneNote 2010 had a persistent Notebook navigation pane branching option now missing in OneNote 2013. Whereas in 2010 I could easily navigate left to right visually from the root Notebook with Tabs, then select a page, additionally making it easy to move things around like in EverNote. Do you want us to abandon OneNote and go back to EverNote? Don't be scared of Balmer. He's gone!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base