OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. PowerPoint printout

It would be nice to be able to printout slides directly from ppt to Onenote, rather than saving the ppt as a PDF and manually insert them into Onenote.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. merge several pages into one easily

The scenario could be that I take a bunch of screenshots, which get dumped into the quick notes. I want to be able to consolidate all these separate pages into one, for ease of sharing and manipulation. (e.g. 40 pictures to be regrouped in one page, or 40 bits of text, or what have you)

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Double-click and drag to select multiple words

Currently, double-clicking a word will highlight the word, but user is unable to drag to select more text, like in any other text or word editor.

Fix is to allow double-click and drag to select multiple words under mouse cursor.

134 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

48 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Ability to set default zoom level for viewing

Zoom levels are presently per-page, per-instance of OneNote.

It would be helpful to be able to set a default zoom level, such as 125% or 'Page Width,' that would be automatically applied when a page is loaded to view.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. PDF printouts with multiple pages should have a "flatten to onenote page" which would prevent moving or adjusting the pdf page.

Currently pdf printouts scroll slowly and load poorly - long printouts need to be optimized. It seems like onenote is handling large printouts like massive image collections.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Move the book navigation to left

In general I like the tree navigation found in tools such as Scrivener. They are better suitable for thinking and outlining. The tab navigation does not really add value and the navigation on the right confuses user experience. I think there is tremendous value in following some of the features available in Scrivener.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add "draw with touch" function to OneNote for mobile

The "draw with touch" function should be a basic and necessary feature in every OneNote version.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Border around text blocks

It would be nice to be able to turn ON a border around a text or image block. Just like you can see the faint outline when hovering over it, it would be useful to help separate areas of a page into distinct thoughts.

Stretch Goal - Color choice for a border.

1,008 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

227 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Text Wrapping

Vote to see the ability to wrap text around images in OneNote

71 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Ability to hide "Click to view other notebooks" button in full page view

When using full page view with a small window size (mimicking a post-it note) the ever present button to access other notebooks and sections gets in the way and takes up important window real estate.

Even in a larger window, the button expands to take up more horizontal space, and if I have content going across the window, it again covers up the content in the upper right hand corner.

It would be lovely if this button automatically hid itself until scroll over or some such thing such that it wasn't taking up space and blocking the view of content…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Automatically discard unused quick notes

OneNote 2010 had this great feature where you could bring up a quick note (Windows key + N), and then if you closed out of that quick note without typing anything in it, it would be discarded rather than saved in your Quick Notes section.

OneNote 2013 no longer does this. Because launching a quick note is my go to way to instantly capture any text / copy-paste operations, I'm a bit trigger happy and often create quick notes that I then decide not to use, and now this adds a bunch of blank pages to by Quick Notes section.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Create possibility to use OneNote for musical ideas

Add support for free hand drawing in Windows Phone App which, combined with a suitable music staff/staves template, could provide a virtual music manuscript notebook.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Ability to secure individual sections, pages as well as entire notebooks by read only, edit, print permission like PDF files

Currently if password apply to section that section need password to view it, but I think some people or company want their staff can view/share it but cannot edit/delete/print it. with level of security same using password protection.

111 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Ability to access either the desktop or app version from within the program, or switch between them without exiting.

Having two different versions of the program is inconvenient. If you want to switch to the other interface, you have to go out of the program and start the other one. Having a "switching button" on the ribbon under "View" would solve the problem.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add SmartArt functionality to OneNote

I use SmartArt all the time but have to do it in PowerPoint or Word and then put a screenshot in OneNote. Would much prefer SmartArt being directly integrated.

573 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

78 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Short links directly from within software and apps

Links are too long (such as providing a link to a OneNote section in a SharePoint hyperlink control/data type). Having a bitly or other URL short link capability built in so links to sharing are short would be hugely valuable.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Don't screw it up.

OneNote may not be perfect, and I like improvements, but don't destroy it with capricious UX revamps like have happened to other Microsoft products. Thank you. WE LOVE ONENOTE!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Email aggregator / report

I want to be able to PULL emails into a notebook by sender or topic, rather than have to push them. This is useful to me for sales contacts, projects, job hunting. I like OneNote to be my GO TO application.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Respect < whitespace > tags in pasted HTML text (end the run-on pasted line)

When pasting formatted HTML text into ON, it all runs into one line. This is because most of the HTML clipboard programs use the WHITESPACE tag to control line breaks. ON doesn't appear to respect that particular tag, which leads to pretty awful formatting when using most of the HTML copy utilities.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base