OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. paper size

I think paper size on note taking it's very important, and to be honest I don't understand why Microsoft get rid of it. Be able to have paper size guidelines when taking note instead of just when you printing is awesome, cause you can control your hand writing to be on exact size and not across the border ( yeah, hand writing instead of typing)

738 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

35 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Insert multiple A4 pages in one section / paper size options to limit the canvas

I would like to use OneNote as a virtual A4 notebook. The unlimited canvas can be a great idea in certain scenarios, but page limitations help with taking structured notes that can work on most screen sizes and can be printed on paper.

Currently OneNote 2016 only allows you to insert one page of a certain size (see 'Page Templates 'in the 'Insert' menu), and not multiple pages.

Notability and GoodNotes, the two most popular apps in the Apple App Store, allow you to take notes on A4 pages, which are automatically created as you take your notes and you…

386 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. FIND & REPLACE Please!!!

WE NEED FIND & REPLACE.
    It makes no sense that OneNote doesn't have that feature. Even Notepad has that function! C'mon!

There should be THREE ways to do FIND & REPLACE in OneNote:
    1) For the current tab
    2) For the current page
    3) For the current notebook

363 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. MAKE OUR DEFAULT STYLES FINALLY PERSONIZABLE !

We can change DEFAULT STYLES in Word and every other MS OFFICE APP please MAKE IT FINALLY HAPPEN also in One Note !

I personally am responsible for business documentation for over 150 employees everybody can edit and it is UNREAL to go over 75 GB of Notes to change style in separate pages and subpages for
    Heading 1
    Heading 2
    Heading 3
    Heading 4
    Heading 5
    Heading 6
    PAGE TITLE
    citation
    Code
    and Normal - in options settable bu NOT ENOUGH !

AND DO IT ALL MANUALLY !

Please ! Save my Life ! :D

392 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Integration with Microsoft To Do lists

Should be able to insrt To-do lists into One note pages. You should be able to insert existing To Do lists (with tasks, sub tasks, due dates, notes and other things) as a block so you can see the whole thing as part of a note in a page. Whatever you do in the note block gets updated in To-do and vice versa.

Would be even better if you can create a To Do list in a One Note page, and that list would be created in To Do as well automatically.

This would be a really useful feature to…

169 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Will it ever be possible to fill a shape with color on OneNote

Hello,

Will it ever be possible to fill a shape with color on OneNote, similar to Microsoft Word and PowerPoint? Does anyone with any power in Microsoft read these questions?

I feel like a clown going back and forth copying colored rectangles from Word to OneNote, just so I can make an effective diagram. Perhaps OneNote developers would like me to print out a red filled circle from Word and tape it to my nose while I try to fill a shape in OneNote?

Thanks for nothing.

-Peter

198 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Set a paper size

I'd really like to be a able to choose a certain paper size.
    That would help with printing out documents that were written in OneNote.

349 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Paper sizes

I would like to see the implementation of an option for printer paper sized pages in OneNote so printing out homework is easier. Either that or allow the document to be imported as its own note and written on in One note so it can print in the maximum size.

181 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. heading styles

The default heading styles are just not acceptable. In fact the entire default typography is poor. Please provide the ability to edit headig styles and line spacing at a global level.

109 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Adding mathematical formulas in dark mode

As of now in OneNote, it's hard to add formulas in dark mode because the white text is highlighted white when entering formulas and hence you can't see what you're typing unless you switch to light mode and then enter the formula and then switch back.

783 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

121 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. layout

Get Tab separated horizontal layout back
    in the ole versions of one note the was so much promotion on the benefits of the tab separated layout as this was really great. It´s so confiusing that especially this feature is not existing anymore in the newer version. The menu on the left hand side takes too much space and makes the APP unusable for me.

99 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. more subpages and collapsible

My OneNote version is 16.0.12914.20000. I suggest that OneNote can expore that the depth of subpage and make each level of subpage can be collapsed. The situation right now is that only depth in 3 of subpages can be created and only root page can be collapsed.

63 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Users are able to classify, label and protect Onenote Notebooks and section with Microsoft Information Protection sensitivity labels

Word, PowerPoint, Excel and several third party applications support MIP labels to flag the sensitivity and confidentiality of a document, apply protection and enforce display of content markings.
    OneNote Notebooks include just as much sensitive information documents do, and users should be able to label them in the same way with a consistent user experience.

103 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add keyboard shortcuts for OneNote

*English follows Japanese

■Title(件名):
    OneNoteのキーボードショートカットの追加を希望する
    Add keyboard shortcuts for OneNote

■Description(内容):
    以 下のキーボードショートカットの機能を追加してほしい
    ・ナビゲーション バーを閉じるためのキーボードショートカット
    ・OneNoteの中を日付で検索できるキーボードショートカット

キーボードショートカットでいろいろ操作できることがOneNoteの良い部分である。
    また、多くのノート ブックがある場合、OneNoteの中を検索する機会が多い。
    そのため、マウスを使わずに OneNote を操作できるようにしたい。

Please add the following keyboard shortcuts:
    ・Shortcut to close the navigation bar
    ・Shortcut to search OneNote by date

Being able to use keyboard shortcuts for various operations is a strength of OneNote.
    Also, when there are a lot of notebooks, there are many instances where one needs to search within OneNote.
    Therefore, please add these ways to operate OneNote without using the mouse.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Change default heading styles

I would like to be able to change the default heading styles, like in Word where you can "match heading style to selected text".

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. OneNote pdf as printout everytime

After one of the latest Office update my pdf documents is no longer inserted as printout in OneNote but instead as pdf icons.

Is it possible to change it so that all pdf files is inserted as printouts?

I use Rocketbook and everytime I upload something I have to right click to see the pdf file.

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add Notebook Button (Options - Personal, Class, Staff Notebook)

It would be helpful if when you click the +Add Notebook button if it then asked you what type of notebook you wanted to create. Allowing 3 options of personal, class and staff would be super helpful to make sure you don't accidentally create a personal notebook when you intended to do a class notebook. In an education environment we see this pop up.

Also, allow a notebook to be converted from a personal notebook into a class or staff notebook would be a nice workaround.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Layout

Absolutely hate the new layout - The new OneNote interface takes up way too much screen space (expansion of all the menu options on the left side of the screen takes up almost half of the display). Please offer the option to switch back to the horizontal layout, or at the very least, allow us to move the menu to the right side of the screen so that our notes don't shift every time we navigate our notebook. I understand the pressure to match competitors (such as, Notability), but to change something that already works well is a terrible move.…

55 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Give us the previous navigation layout back in OneNote for Windows 10

I HATE the layout of the new navigation manu in the latest update of OneNote app for Windows 10, in this model, you can't customize the menu position, etc while you could in the previous versions. I don't understand why you think you need to change what's good while you do not touch what's bad! Please give us the previous navigation layout. It had no problem.

721 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

86 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Copy section group to another Notebook

Today, you can MOVE a section group to another notebook, but you cannot COPY it.

User Scenario: We are transitioning a product to another team and our documentation is stored in a OneNote Notebook Section. We are copying our documentation to the new team's notebook and then making updates. To avoid issues during the product transfer, we want to retain a copy of the section group in our current notebook until the transition is complete.

Note that a similar suggestion called "section group" was marked as complete, but the link to the support site in the user voice idea only…

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 281 282
  • Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base