How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Record audio

The desktop app has the feature to record audio straight through one note. Why shouldn't the mobile app have the same?

132 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Luxmee SabapathyLuxmee Sabapathy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rodney ThompsonRodney Thompson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow us to record audio/video in the OneNote app for the surface. Would benefit our business tremendously. Thank you.

• DhalsimDhalsim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! It would be so useful to be able to record audio notes at the touch of a button, while typing and when done, the audio file is saved in the note, for easy future access.

• David CristofaroDavid Cristofaro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please note that Apple has awakened from their slumber regarding the lameness of their note taking app, and are now focusing on it. Not allowing audio recording is a significant detractor from using One Note on iOS, and note taking apps lose their power big time if they aren't used pan platforms.

Please add this functionality to One Note so we can all benefit and keep Apple out of the note taking app business. Recording is easy and needs to happen soon.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm an engineering student and this (along with proper PDF annotation) are essential features for lectures. You need to add this ASAP! Thanks.

• BrianBrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is critical to me, and while I prefer the interface of the Windows Store OneNote app, this feature is enough to make me use the desktop version instead.

Also note that I'd also prefer a couple of improvements over how the desktop version does things including:

* Audio notes on desktop OneNote display the annoying icon right where I want to write (of course at cursor position). Its a pain to move this. Would be nice if there were an option to have it put it in some preset location (ie: top right of note perhaps), or even just to not show the icon, but perhaps have a collapsible bar at the top of the note that appears when the note has audio notes. Clicking on this bar will present each audio note. Alternative would be a hide/show audio note button that would show or hide the icons in the note.

While I love OneNote and have switched entirely to it, in this regards Notability on the iPad does a better job with audio than desktop OneNote. Would love if the Windows App version corrects this.

* Would love the ability to also be able to edit the audio - meaning to show the "waveform", and let me use a slider to jump to portions of the audio. Should be able to highlight sections of the audio to be deleted (PowerPoint does this). Also should have the ability to perform certain audio transforms to clean up the quality. Again Notability is an excellent guide here.

* Would be nice to have the ability to choose the microphone input source. There are times when I wish to use the built in mic (or a plugged in one), a USB mic, or a Bluetooth microphone depending on where I'm at.

* And lastly (and this is definitely a big feature in itself), would be incredible to be able to record phone calls when a SIP endpoint (Bria, etc) or Skype is used. I'm constantly on the phone using OneNote to take notes, and don't want to have to use speakerphone or record ambient noise - just the all itself. This really could be the same as the last bullet (selecting audio source) I suppose.

• HenryHenry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My favorite desktop feature that is missing is handwriting recognition. I had an old WinMo 5.x phone that had this feature. I am not sure if it was part of the OS or part of the app. Either way I think it would be great to pull out a tablet, use a stylus to write notes and than convert to text at a later time if needed.

• MildmanneredjanitorMildmanneredjanitor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is critical. You need to make OneNote the go to app for recording lectures and note taking. Surface pro 3 can be the key tool for students.

• Omeed ChandraOmeed Chandra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Vote for this if you want to be able to record and play audio while taking notes in the OneNote Windows Store app.

Feedback and Knowledge Base