How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

OneNote needs a Shape recognition mode

While you are in this mode, you can draw a jiggery circle and OneNote converts it into a perfect round circle. Same for an axis or any kind of form that you can draw, it would tremendously help in Mathematics or Physics.
Competitors (which I won't name here) already have this feature. I've been using OneNote around 2 years in school now and this feature would really make OneNote so much better.

373 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Maximilian OettlMaximilian Oettl shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Completed  ·  OneNote TeamAdminOneNote Team (Admin, OneNote Team) responded  · 

We’re excited to announce that Ink Shape Recognition is coming to OneNote this November on Windows 10, iPad, and iPad Pro. Ink Shape Recognition is a new mode that will automatically convert your hand-drawn shapes into perfect-looking shapes while inking. It recognizes over a dozen shapes including basics like circles, triangles and squares, as well as more complex shapes like quadrilaterals, pentagons and hexagons.

For more details, please check out this blog post: https://blogs.office.com/2015/10/20/onenote-partners-with-fiftythree-to-support-pencil-and-paper-plus-shape-recognition-coming-soon/

31 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AndyAndy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 on the desktop app for this. I saw this in use at a presentation last week and was excited to try it myself only to not find it on my desktop Onenote - the presenter was using the App instead.
        Also +1 on the lines and arrow recognition.

• lambda7lambda7 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is great on the UWP app, but needs to be added to the desktop version too. Also, please extend it to more shapes, like arrows.

• TPTP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh, hang on, I've just realised that you can convert a shape in the OneNote Windows 10 app but not in OneNote 2016, the paid version. May I ask the rationale?

• TPTP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great feature OneNote team. Hey, where do I find a list of all shapes? Are there any graph shapes like an "x" "y" axis or a cross? You know, where the shape is not a closed shape?

• SrikanthSrikanth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for adding this! However, it doesn't have lines and arrows! That would make this feature complete IMO.

• C. Yusuf MumtazC. Yusuf Mumtaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, when will Shape Recognition feature coming to the OneNote Desktop app? I only found it in the Windows 10 app.

I just updated Office 2016 and this still has not been updated. Microsoft said this update would come in November 2015.

• WayneWayne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this or will this be available in OneNote 2013, or only in OneNote 2016?

Have you or are you also looking at a feature for actually performing the maths calculation for handwritten maths formulas in OneNote? Some competitors on Android have been able to do this for some time?

• MaximilianMaximilian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So it works in Powerpoint16 and not in Onenote16 but the Onenote App? This seems not well thought.
        Also the surface pen lost support to open Onenote16. Is there some sort of agenda to make us less productive?

• LawrenceLawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also I just found the capability in both OneNote and Word to define my own shorthand for equations so I can input equations about 10x faster than the default functionality (e.g. instead of \partial/partial\phi, I defined it as \pphi, since I use this all the time in my equations).

This adds so much capability to the equations and it would be really awesome if we could define our own shapes based off of custom strokes. Maybe you are already planning on doing this (or maybe it is not feasible), but just wanted to point out that it would add SO MUCH to the awesome shape recognition that you just added/described.

• LawrenceLawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great news! This will help a ton with taking notes in engineering/science classes! It would be nice if it also recognized axis like 3d axis (e.g. xyz) and 2D (e.g. xy)

Ok, I just upgraded to Office 2016. PowerPoint has the Shape Recognition feature but OneNote does not.

Seems incredibly silly that you would add this feature to PowerPoint but not OneNote where it is needed more. Are the product teams separate?

Getting this feature would put you in par with Samsung's S-Note and would be greatly appreciated by engineers, math and science students, and architects.

While you're at, please see if you can add this feature to Visio as well.

Please add this feature to OneNote.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base