How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Windows Store app: Disable spell check

The OneNote app does not offer any option to turn off the automatic spell check, which leads to a flood of red underlines in text fragments that are in a different language than the system default.

196 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

nodotsnodots shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

83 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please disable spellcheck & correction from NoteOne.

Its horrible !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's finally working on version 17.8067.57631.0., the same update that added the audio recording feature to the UWP app.

• Albin LABELLEAlbin LABELLE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am confused as well with the (new) option to disable the spell check.
        Seems useless (not working), BUT...
        If you close OneNote App (App for W10) and restarts it, you won't see anymore the red squiggly lines under misspelled words. At least it's how it behaves on my version (I have not activated Experimental features), and have the 17.7967.57751.0 version.
        Not saying I am confortable with this way to solve the problem (would be nice to have the ability to spell check, as in OneNote Online or OneNote desktop), but it's a workaround in the meantime.

Can you confirm ?

• GaryGary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

File>Options>Proofing>THEN UNDER "When correcting spelling in OneNote" UNCHECK:-

1) Check spelling as you type
        2)Check grammar with spelling

This worked for me in Windows 10. Hope it helps.

• SamsonSamson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"This feature is now available in OneNote for Windows 10." Yes, it is but NO EFFECT!!!!

• Olly AOlly A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to be able to change the language. I type in British English on a US keyboard, so the default behaviour—which apparently sets the language according to the keyboard layout—is not helpful.

• PhilippPhilipp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

absolutly disturbing! one note is just for me. nobody else reads my notes (i hope). iwant to write fast and all in small letters. no red signs needed..!!!

• VladimirVladimir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"This feature is now available in OneNote for Windows 10." No, it is not. And never be.

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still not working, Settings -> Options -> Hide Spelling is absolutely useless. Why is this so difficult?

• Dinko HerreraDinko Herrera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneNote Team. As of February 22nd 2017 No it is not. How can you come here and post a lie being an Admin?

• JochenJochen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@OneNoteTeam: can you explain how to disable all these red underlines?
        Settings -> Options -> Hide Spelling Errors has no effect.

• drollinsondrollinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneNote Team say...
        "This feature in now available in OneNote for Windows 10."
        Ah, NO! The option Settings -> Options -> Hide Spelling Errors (under Proofing)
        is actually there, but turning it on HAS NO EFFECT! Red squiggly underlines persist.

• AndreasAndreas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where/how?

Installed version 17.7766.57951.0 (cannot find any update in the store): Einstellungen - Optionen - Korrekturhilfen: Rechtschreibfehler ausblenden does not seem to have any effect. Text is still full of red underlines.

(Sorry for German text, I don't have an English system available right now. The setting I mentioned is the last one on the "Options" page.)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"This feature is now available in OneNote for Windows 10"

Could you please give a hint how to disable the spell check in the standard Onenote app for Windows 10? I don't see any option to do that in the Onenote app.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base