How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

New navigation bar behaviour to show organisational context of each page

Add value to the way OneNote structures notes. Here are my four related feature requests:

1. A button and keyboard shortcut to expand the navigation bar's notebook/section tree to the section of the currently open page, and scroll the section into view if not visible.

2. A configuration option to always keep the navigation bar in sync with the open page, expanding and scrolling the notebook/section tree as the user opens pages via search or hyperlinks.

3. A button and keyboard shortcut to expand or collapse the entire notebook/secion tree in the navigation bar.

4. Breadcrumbs as a navigation aid at the top of (or above) each page showing the section hierarchy. The corresponding section(s) in the navigation bar should be highlighted when the cursor hovers over each breadcrumb part, and expands and scrolls the navigation bar when clicked (as per #1). It should be possible to disable breadcrumbs via another configuration option, but I think they should be on by default.

OneNote is designed to organise large amounts of notes. Pages are structured using notebooks, section groups and sections. The navigation bar, however, is unwieldy and doesn't add visibility to the data structure when the user navigates via search or hyperlinks. The navigation bar (and breadcrumbs) should help the user by showing the organisational context of each page.

Features similar to the first three are implemented in Visual Studio, so perhaps some cross-departmental cooperation in Microsoft would help with the implementation effort, if only at a superficial level. These features would also be relevant to OneNote for Mac.

17 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

IanF shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Completed  ·  AdminOneNote Team (Admin, OneNote Team) responded  · 

We are pleased to let you know that all of the above have been taken into consideration when redesigning OneNote for Windows 10. The July 2017 update should reflect those changes. If you have any other suggestions please feel free to open a new idea for each one.

Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.
    For a list of features added to OneNote for Windows 10 please visit the following article
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • IanF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anonymous - My idea referred to OneNote for Windows (both the desktop & Modern UI), and is focused on navigation and structure for large or multiple notebooks, rather than a visually appealing UI (although that's also something nice to have).
        I'm not familiar with the web UI, however, this concept should probably be applied generally, including to the web.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I am personally frustrated that the beautiful interface on the Mac Client does not translate to the web posted notebook, at least when sharing public links. On a published web page, a huge search box comes up, ruining what would otherwise be a slick presentation.

Feedback and Knowledge Base