How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Group objects and anchor ink to text and images

Select objects (Handwritings, pictures or text) and group them using right mouse click menu to move objects easily! This also prevents unexpected shifting and enables working with multiple layers.

1,590 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chiu Kit Lam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

320 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do simple work instructions in one note - nothing bugs me more than someone adding a line of text or two near the top which messes with all of the image / text alignment below it. PLEASE ADD GROUPING!

• aditya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For a canvas type of software, this is basic, at least anchoring drawing/annotations with images. It's sad that people have to suggest it. Why Microsoft hasn't made it available even after 4 years is beyond me.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please, please make this work on iPads! The lack of anchoring seriously reduces the usefulness of OneNote. This is obviously something people need, why hasn’t it happened yet?

• 张雅娴 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They are so must-be that I had never questioned their existence before I googled 'how'.

How do I use inking with a wacom device into a word document, and then easily select entire inkings to group as one object. It is impossible to select every created object from a dotted "i" to a crossed "t". Why can't I just select all with holding down mouse and dragging across inkings until all are easily selected, then group? I can't figure out an easy way to select all inkings with out clicking on every single mark.

Microsoft has an experience in that through the Whiteboard application, why not copy this feature to Onenote!!

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Indeed. Just experienced again a totally screwed page because someone else (I share my notebooks in the group) added long comments in the text ...
        and I had a lot of handwritten stuff in there..

• Cinnamon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I concur....this is GREATLY needed. I just started using OneNote recently and LOVE its many other convenient features. Everything I've needed it to do so far it has done....except for this! I was honestly shocked that the basic ability to group objects is not included. A huge oversight in my opinion. And using screen captures is okay for some things, but it will not work for some things, e.g. a very long OneNote page with lots of text, images, and other objects that scroll off the screen.

PLEASE FIX!!

> 1500 votes, 4 years later and no reaction from Microsoft ?

Very, very annoying

• John C. Weisenfeld commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a teacher using OneNote in my classes. I take a worksheet, print it to OneNote and then ask my students to click to type on the worksheet and "fill" it out. Since their text isn't anchored, they can type something above something else and all their text below can move. Super frustrating.

Enabling anchoring would enable more teachers to use OneNote like the virtual paper it claims to be.

Thanks!

• Andre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So Anonymous' note from 17-Sept-2018 isn't all bad news.
        If MS has implemented anchoring/linking of ink/text to images in the new desktop version of OneNote, then by default this will be resolved.
        If you haven't seen the news, OneNote 2016 is going to be the last version bundled with Office. After this, OneNote will only exist as the Windows 10 desktop application.
        My understanding of the Microsoft announcement is that they are consolidating the primary features of OneNote 2016 and merging it with the new functions in OneNote desktop app, including anchoring.
        That being said, I'm fairly certain there will be functionality in OneNote 2016 that won't show up in the new desktop app. Ya win some, you lose some.

Unfortunately, it would seem that with the release of the OneNote app, they have (to an extent) abandoned the old OneNote 2016. The good thing is, they've added grouping in the new OneNote. The problem is, well, it's not OneNote 2016. It's not a standard Office program, it's different. I know as well as most any other OneNote user that it's not gonna cut it. I don't think it's going to happen.

Everyone below has great ideas. 4 years later...no change. But weekly emails on 'improvements' to Office 365. You can do this on ANY other program...even Word...The programming already exists...Maybe MS isn't reading our comments/care about our working needs?

• Jeli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use OneNote basically as a handwritten notebook. This feature is desperately needed! Add or erase the wrong thing and you find handwritten text strewn across a page (just happened to me this morning!) Please allow for grouping and anchoring pages and I will actually recommend OneNote to others.

• St.Su. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This idea is quite old already, but still not implemented and still missed heavily!

• Neil Bayin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Frank I just used OneNote for less than fifteen minutes and found out this feature is not there...wow...like many other mincrosoft software features waited more than 10 years to implement.. for example...unix style new line in notepad, really? basically that makes notepad useless in a lot of occasion and lacking of group object together greatly impair OneNotes usuage...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

Feedback and Knowledge Base