How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Group objects and anchor ink to text and images

Select objects (Handwritings, pictures or text) and group them using right mouse click menu to move objects easily! This also prevents unexpected shifting and enables working with multiple layers.

1,334 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chiu Kit Lam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

287 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chuck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem is with handwriting conversion to text, which is generally really good, sometimes sections of a handwritten journal won't convert as a single unit; some phrase will just hang out in space. Especially if you erased and correct words. Lasso select will group it and move things together, but same problem when you convert.

Screen capture to new window looks great but does not convert well. Neither in OCR in Google or Evernote.

Still for all my yips, ink to text is impressive. But fix it!!!

• Bryan Munro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can something so fundamental not already exist in OneNote. This is infuriating to the point of making OneNote useless for engineering notation. I hear Google documents calling...

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I decided to contact MS support direct in a bid to possibly get this feature moving forward - I have a response so lets see what comes of it. Fingers crossed! Here's the response;

'My name is Luke, and I’m a Microsoft Customer Relationship Manager here at the Microsoft corporate offices in Redmond, Washington USA.
        Thank you for reaching out to us about your feature request for OneNote. I Apologize that it has been such a long time and it has not been implemented.
        I wanted to let you know that I have gone over the request thread that you shared with us and I will be reporting directly back to management and as you started this process with an email to Mr. Nadella his personal assistant is my first point of contact and has asked that I follow up with them with the details.
        I wanted to reach out to you and let you know that exactly what I am doing to get this request moving.'

• Martin Weatherilt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How thick can Microsoft really be? Complete idiots - no wonder Google are winning in education. It's like the company is blind, deaf and has a death wish. I can't believe something as fundamental as this is still being put off!

• Axel Schweiger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The inability to link objects (i.e. annotate graphics) so that text and graphic move together is really a showstopper for me in using OneNote further

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a very useful feature for keeping things together as one object. The screen capture works, however if a change needs to occur you are unable to ungroup, make the change, and regroup.

• Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My trick is to start a second instance of OneNote showing the same page, place cursor below images and take a screen capture of just the 2 overlapped images on the first instance of OneNote. A quick hack. MS it would be nice to have a group by function.

Scott N.

• Cabri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In response to the hundreds of people who are frustrated that a grouping function doesnt exist, here's a way to circumvent that.

1) take a screen shot of your one note page, including whatever images you would want to group.

2) crop the screen shot, so it only includes the image you want to group. Crop it as close to the image as you can without cutting anything off.

3) Copy and paste the cropped screenshot into your one note page. (You've effectively created a tiny picture that IS your "grouped" image.)

4) Delete the original drawings, text, or images you duplicated with the screenshot.

It's a bit cumbersome, and it's ridiculous that Microsoft hasn't fixed this problem yet, but this is a way I've found you can use one note, and "group" things together, so you don't have to spend hours editing your page over and over when you need to add or delete things.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I keep checking if OneNote has solved this, they haven't, and go back to Evernote.

• Michael Hanson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My exact comment. I work in a corp and document lots of material and processes. I will get quite a ways along and then invariablly have to go back and add a para above where I stopped. All arrows and ovals around words move and I spend hours trying to fix it because by then, I don't remember exactly what the arrow pointed to or the oval highlighted.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I definetely would benefit from this especially when kids are trying to use patty paper and transfer paper!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 14 15

Feedback and Knowledge Base