How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Group objects and anchor ink to text and images

Select objects (Handwritings, pictures or text) and group them using right mouse click menu to move objects easily! This also prevents unexpected shifting and enables working with multiple layers.

1,246 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chiu Kit Lam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

268 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Logan Brenner Wood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is already a function for this, albeit a limited one. It works exclusively for grouping ink objects. It is useful for preventing inked objects from being cut off when you print a page to paper or PDF.

Steps:

1.) Select ink objects
        2.) Right click on the selection
        3.) Select "Group"

• Leonhard Henkes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very much appreciated! I need this to group draws+text or text+text

This would make OneNote the best Thinking Canvas.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just echoing everyone else. Really need a grouping function - ridiculous that it doesn't exist.

• Garry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would appear that some of the functionality of grouping is actually there but unused or not accessible. If you copy a page from Word that has some drawn objects and text and paste it into a OneNote page the entire block is treated as one object. Within OneNote you can draw something off to the side, copy it and paste it into the text box and it will move with the block. What doesn't carry over with the copy and paste is putting an image or object behind or over text. So, if you want highlighted or circled text to remain highlighted or circled, that won't happen, it just inserts the drawn object between the words/lines.

This can't be ignored, it needs to be fixed. I love OneNote and have found ways to work around other issues I've come across, not having this functioning is very frustrating.

• Dillon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneNote is pretty good for creating notebooks and organizing information. But without the ability to group objects like drawings and handwritten notes with text, I would give it a 6 out of 10.Yes, just this one feature is sooo important. With Surface notebook and IPad pro writing capabilities, OneNote could be so much more useful by having this feature. Please add it asap as a bug fix !

• NATALIA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Goodbye OneNote! This is legit the only reason
        I am leaving..... its 2018..... 4 years after countless people have made this fken suggestion and still NO ***** were given! Thanks for the amazing care for customer experience :) yall suck

• Pr Er commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

insert color drawing/highlights should be movable with the text, voted, anyone know how please tell me

@Marcel Carvalho:

Yeah, but its not possible to insert a text box into a text as one item, right?
        So if u have a lot of such "text box-Figures" that belong into a single text note, chaos still ensues.

Love OneNote and use it extensively in a medical and a scientific setting for extremely extensive note + knowledge collections.

However:
        The drawing function is close to 100% useless and dysfunctional without at least grouping.
        Since it is not possible to layer pictures/lines of drawing/shapes without moving them out of the text box one is currently working in, it is not possible to insert a sketch into a larger note, then alter the text without destroying the whole sketch.
        I have no idea how anybody ever uses OneNotes drawing function for more than the most basic tasks. (Except if they are doing screenshots and pasting every time, the workaround i am using right now, which has great disadvantages and is much much slower though).

I consider this complete lack of usability extremely funny, especially since:
        The drawing engine/mouse or pen input is actually awesome.
        Drawing/sketching is absolutely necessary for a lot of applications.
        Microsoft advertises OneNote for its ability to do exactly this (and as a full blown paper-note replacement), eg. especially on their Surface line.

So please please please please please ad this functionality dear development team!
        I am sure a gazillion people would be extremely grateful and take much more effective notes.

• la commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can you be so great, OneNote, and lack this VERY IMPORTANT FEATURE (YES I AM YELLING)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

Feedback and Knowledge Base