How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Group objects and anchor ink to text and images

Select objects (Handwritings, pictures or text) and group them using right mouse click menu to move objects easily! This also prevents unexpected shifting and enables working with multiple layers.

1,067 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chiu Kit Lam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

229 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Josh Youngfeldt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So this was originally suggested in 2014 and people are still actively commenting on it requesting this feature?
        It seems like Microsoft does not actually implement much less even monitor these improvement pages. If they're not even active on their own forum and have let such a highly requested simple feature out of OneNote for over three years, how are we to expect any feedback to be implemented?

It's a shame because I love OneNote but lacking this common sense feature along with the lack of implementation really makes me think that I'd rather move to a notebook application that may already be better AND actually improves.

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to group objects in OneNote would make it an almost universal tool. Without it I frequently have to leave the Microsoft ecosystem. You're really missing a simple trick here Microsoft.

• Marcel Carvalho commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is an easy way to do this.
        1st: Select everything you want to group together.
        2nd:hit CTRL + X to cur it (or CTRL + C).
        3rd: Then click on the document and write something to create a new "text box".
        4rd: Then inside that text box hit CTRL + V to past what you have cut, and PUFF, everything is together, inside that new "text box". Cheers!

• Farhan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is just mind boggling that why this hasn't been implemented. It is a no-brainer and must have. Needed it 10 years ago! NOW would be great!

• Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just use the same engine as the rest of office! It makes me so frustrated / disappointed seeing OneNote being totally ununited.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to group text boxes, pictures and drawings would be a really useful feature for me. The current screen snip workaround is cumbersome.

• john smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suspect lazy devs or clueless product management...the _only_explanation for this still not being implemented in a decade

NEED IT NOW!!!! whats the point of hand writing and typing if they dont stay aligned???!!!

• Dave Del Purgatorio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How the heck is this seemingly basic function not natively built into one note?? Visio and other MS tools have had this ever since day one..

The screen clipping workaround is honestly one of those hacky-band-aid solutions. Not terribly elegant MS!

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a feature that would be useful daily! Please implement it. Your screen clipping alternative is clumsy.

I got around this by using the lasso to select everything and then assigning it a tag. It appears to group everything so that I can move them as a whole around the page. I did create my own tag so that it had no icon attached.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

Feedback and Knowledge Base