How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Group objects and anchor ink to text and images

Select objects (Handwritings, pictures or text) and group them using right mouse click menu to move objects easily! This also prevents unexpected shifting and enables working with multiple layers.

1,505 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chiu Kit Lam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

309 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

> 1500 votes, 4 years later and no reaction from Microsoft ?

Very, very annoying

• John C. Weisenfeld commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a teacher using OneNote in my classes. I take a worksheet, print it to OneNote and then ask my students to click to type on the worksheet and "fill" it out. Since their text isn't anchored, they can type something above something else and all their text below can move. Super frustrating.

Enabling anchoring would enable more teachers to use OneNote like the virtual paper it claims to be.

Thanks!

• Andre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So Anonymous' note from 17-Sept-2018 isn't all bad news.
        If MS has implemented anchoring/linking of ink/text to images in the new desktop version of OneNote, then by default this will be resolved.
        If you haven't seen the news, OneNote 2016 is going to be the last version bundled with Office. After this, OneNote will only exist as the Windows 10 desktop application.
        My understanding of the Microsoft announcement is that they are consolidating the primary features of OneNote 2016 and merging it with the new functions in OneNote desktop app, including anchoring.
        That being said, I'm fairly certain there will be functionality in OneNote 2016 that won't show up in the new desktop app. Ya win some, you lose some.

Unfortunately, it would seem that with the release of the OneNote app, they have (to an extent) abandoned the old OneNote 2016. The good thing is, they've added grouping in the new OneNote. The problem is, well, it's not OneNote 2016. It's not a standard Office program, it's different. I know as well as most any other OneNote user that it's not gonna cut it. I don't think it's going to happen.

Everyone below has great ideas. 4 years later...no change. But weekly emails on 'improvements' to Office 365. You can do this on ANY other program...even Word...The programming already exists...Maybe MS isn't reading our comments/care about our working needs?

• Jeli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use OneNote basically as a handwritten notebook. This feature is desperately needed! Add or erase the wrong thing and you find handwritten text strewn across a page (just happened to me this morning!) Please allow for grouping and anchoring pages and I will actually recommend OneNote to others.

• St.Su. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This idea is quite old already, but still not implemented and still missed heavily!

• Neil Bayin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Frank I just used OneNote for less than fifteen minutes and found out this feature is not there...wow...like many other mincrosoft software features waited more than 10 years to implement.. for example...unix style new line in notepad, really? basically that makes notepad useless in a lot of occasion and lacking of group object together greatly impair OneNotes usuage...

• Alaya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The 'hack' that I have done is to screenshot the items that are grouped together and then just copy and paste that back in the document

• Rob Golding commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Lasso Select" actually performs this function. However, once the group of ink and text have been deselected, the grouping is released. This is a frustrating situation from a coding perspective because the work has already been done. Just add an "keep section grouped" option when right clicking the lasso'd selection and the problem would be solved. It is an easy fix!

I agree this is needed greatly... should definitely be a standard feature.
        A note taking program should be able to emulate what is done when handwriting notes.

• FrequentOneNoteSupporter!! commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a suggestion to right click the selected image, and allow a function to annotate on it (just like how there is a function to "select text from image". And when done, there will be a done button or something. And the highlight text on that picture, or the drawing made on that picture STAYS there!
        But of course, it can be easier if there is a grouping function just like how Microsoft word always had.

• Grant Barrie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add my voice to the chorus. The "grouping" technology exists within applications like Visio, and a similar approach would be perfect.

On top of that, it would be really useful if when something is drawn on top of another thing, a table or an image for example, that it was automatically groups with the thing it was drawing on top of. That way if you draw on top of an image, it's automatically grouped.

But let's start with a hot-key first, and work our way up. :)

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dw they added stickers in a recent update tho.
        Seriously this feature (Tbh something more along the lines of simple vectorized layering) would have to be the one thing I'd want to see most in OneNote, or any notetaking app for that matter.
        Given that handnotes are already vectorized, scalable, and non-persistently groupable, I find it very difficult to believe that this feature can be especially difficult to implement, and usually when I want something as specific as this, I'm the only one in the world who thinks its a good idea, but clesrly this is not the case here.
        There are so many possibilities this would open up, I use onenote mainly for university, both lecture markups, lecture indexing, and also math/engineering excercises

being able to do things like, add hierachical (lockable/hidable)layers would be incredible, as it would enable people to do things like, toggle on and off their markup, step through derivations of a solution in chronological order (this could be so powerful, anyone who's looked at a circuit diagram that's been marked up with some working out alongside it, can confirm that usually it's pretty mysterious where each part of the solution was derived)
        and loads more

• Ron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is inexplicable why Microsoft has still not included anchoring and grouping. But it is Microsoft and they don't have a history of listening to their customers so we shouldn't be surprised. Get a grip Microsoft!!

I add my voice to the Chorus; "anchoring" or "grouping" like in the other Office apps would be extremely useful.

• Emma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It baffles me why other Microsoft products have this "feature" but OneNote - where it would be most useful - doesn't!
        Taking a clipping of a group isn't exactly a convenient workaround, because it removes the ability to edit.

Just started using OneNote after a 5 year hiatus. Now I remember why I quit using OneNote all those years ago. Makes me so sad :(

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

Feedback and Knowledge Base