How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Ability to share individual sections or pages (instead of entire notebooks)

Vote for this if you want to be able to share an individual section or page with other users, instead of only being able to share an entire notebook.

5,326 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Darren shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    AdminOneNote Team (Admin, OneNote Team) responded  · 

Shared Links to Single Pages of Notes is being removed

We recently removed the ability to share single pages of notes. The previous single-page sharing implementation from personal OneDrive notebooks was our initial attempt to begin building out the larger feature set. However, this first step didn’t satisfy the needs of our customers and, compared to full notebook sharing, usage of the limited page sharing feature was very low. The technical path we need to take to build out the full OneNote page sharing experience requires us to deprecate the previous functionality until comprehensive work on these feature improvements can be completed.

What happens to page links that I’ve already shared with other people?

Previously shared links to single pages of notes will automatically expire as of June 15, 2018. After this date, recipients of shared page links will no longer be able to view these pages, unless a recipient has already been given access to the full notebook containing a previously shared page. Notebook owners can restore access to any previously shared pages by newly sharing the full notebook with collaborators. Alternately, you can create a separate notebook that contains copies of only those pages that you want to share, and then invite others to that separate notebook.
    We apologize for any inconvenience that this feature deprecation may cause.

For more information, please go to this support article titled – Share a page of notes or an entire notebook from OneNote for Windows 10. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/share-a-page-of-notes-or-an-entire-notebook-from-onenote-for-windows-10-d4a74a14-44a3-411e-8fb5-06e73ddf047f?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

1453 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking forward to the implementation of this feature - could we please have a progress update from the OneNote Team?

Currently, Google Docs is the go-to medium for most collaborative work, but when OneNote (finally) gets the ability to share individual pages, with a similar level of permissions control to what regular OneDrive/Google Drive files have, it will be a Google Docs killer, because it has:
        > Ink support;
        > Tags (especially the todo tickboxes);
        > Offline access on all platforms;
        > A 'real program' interface rather than just web;
        None of which Google Docs currently has.

Ball's in your court, Microsoft. Don't let this opportunity pass you by.

• MRS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yet one more reason to walk away from the Microsoft dinosaur and move to more innovative products that add features rather than take away.

• PG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree that this is a necessary feature.
        I only want to share meeting notes from my notebook rather than creating a separate notebook.
        Please don't dumb down products.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree this is really a necessary feature. I use it for meeting minutes but only want to share the meeting notes with the people at the meeting. For the moment I just have to copy and paste out or PDF it, which is very clunky.

• EB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too do not wish to share the entire notebook with people. I have used OneNote to document house renovation checklists and notes, and also for college and professional occupation note taking. If I were to want to share my classroom notes with a classmate, it is pretty lame for that person to be able to view my home renovation notes (or whatever). Please make this simple fix.

I agree with all the users below. We wanted to use this for training documentation, but if we have to create separate notebooks, we may not use it. One notebook makes it so easy to search but we need to be able to share single pages. Please bring this back!

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need this, will not use OneNote until it has this feature.

• RIN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You need to work on this ASAP. OneNote is absolutely amazing and people love it. But creating a whole notebook to share a page? Please no..

• John Smelko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a strong need to be able to share Notebook sections. For instance. I have 1:1's with 5 individuals and I would like to only share that section with the specific individual. Now I have to create 5 separate notebooks which require a lot of unnecessary space.

As a professor, I currently maintain separate pageson Evernote for every class I teach. On these pages I add links to important articles, podcasts, youtube videos, etc. This lets me continually add important information for my students. I would like to migrate from Evernote to OneNote. However, if I cannot share information at the page (or at least the section level) OneNote doesn't help me a lot. It doesn't make organizational sense to create a separate Notebook for each class that would then contain a single section and, for most of my classes, only one, or at most two, pages. This creates an organizational nightmare. PLEASE un-"deprecate" this feature.

I would like to have some people to have access to specific pages. And some people to have access to whole notebook, or just a section.

• Roger Snyder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like having to setup a separate notebook for each project I want to share notes from for particular users. Being able to share SECTIONS with different sets of users would be ideal. That way all my interview notes can go in one section share with the hiring team. Exec staff notes can be shared only with exec staff, etc. Having these all in one Notebook makes it so much easier to organize notes out of unfiled notes, instead of having to use the cumbersome Move or Copy feature, and having to switch Notebooks every time I want to work on a different project.

Come on MSFT -- this shouldn't be that hard! Get to it, please.

I honestly would like for you to return the feature of sharing pages only. There are things I don't wish to share in the entire notebook.

• Mohamed Amin ElTagoury commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, Microsoft you should return this Feature again to OneNote, i was using it all the time it really helps a lot, this is the best feature i can see in OneNote and you Removed it easily.

Dear Oneote People,
        For university students that do not want to share their entire class notebook and only sections or pages for the class my friend and I are in. Or like 1000's of other practical reasons. Although, I love Onenote this feature is almost essential. I know some other programs that offer this feature and would gladly transfer over, if this issue persists for another month. It has already been three months and the Fall semester has already begun. We need this feature.

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an ETA on when the functionality for restricting write access to specific sections and pages for specific users will be available? The lack of this option severely limits the usefulness of OneNote when working with a team whose knowledge and experience levels vary.

• Raine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's the single feature missing from OneNotes that is making me looking for an alternative note-taking service...

• Pierre Trudel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok, you have removed a partial solution that according to you was not so much used and did not offer full sharing with edit capability across all platforms.

It is still the most popular request for OneNote by a large margin. Can you at least tell us how and when you will be adding this feature. Is anybody currently working on this?

BTW on other UserVoice Forum, admin sign with their own name. It help establishing a good relationship. It is a feedback forum to help Microsoft build a better product. When we take the time to help you, we appreciate that in return you keep us informed on what's going on.

• Kev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WTF You need to ask your customer next time if it's satisfying or not.
        This was a must to have function which you removed and if you read the comments below you should definitely bring back this function. Nobody will share his entire notebook.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 72 73

Feedback and Knowledge Base