How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Ability to share individual sections or pages (instead of entire notebooks)

Vote for this if you want to be able to share an individual section or page with other users, instead of only being able to share an entire notebook.

5,516 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Darren shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    AdminOneNote Team (Admin, OneNote Team) responded  · 

Shared Links to Single Pages of Notes is being removed

We recently removed the ability to share single pages of notes. The previous single-page sharing implementation from personal OneDrive notebooks was our initial attempt to begin building out the larger feature set. However, this first step didn’t satisfy the needs of our customers and, compared to full notebook sharing, usage of the limited page sharing feature was very low. The technical path we need to take to build out the full OneNote page sharing experience requires us to deprecate the previous functionality until comprehensive work on these feature improvements can be completed.

What happens to page links that I’ve already shared with other people?

Previously shared links to single pages of notes will automatically expire as of June 15, 2018. After this date, recipients of shared page links will no longer be able to view these pages, unless a recipient has already been given access to the full notebook containing a previously shared page. Notebook owners can restore access to any previously shared pages by newly sharing the full notebook with collaborators. Alternately, you can create a separate notebook that contains copies of only those pages that you want to share, and then invite others to that separate notebook.
    We apologize for any inconvenience that this feature deprecation may cause.

For more information, please go to this support article titled – Share a page of notes or an entire notebook from OneNote for Windows 10. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/share-a-page-of-notes-or-an-entire-notebook-from-onenote-for-windows-10-d4a74a14-44a3-411e-8fb5-06e73ddf047f?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

1464 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still no progess update since April - given it's your *most requested* feature, heaps of users would love a bit of confidence that you are working on this and actually trying to make it happen.

If it's proving difficult, that's fine, we can be patient. But if you're not actually planning on doing it, then at least tell us, so that we can start shifting our notes to a different program made by someone other than Microsoft.

Don't keep us hanging.

• Roger Snyder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on MSFT... over 5000 votes, nearly 1500 comments. Your user base NEEDS to be able to share individual Notebook SECTIONS, not full Notebooks. Right now I have to create a new Notebook every time I want to share project notes, which makes it a real pain to stay organized, since it's harder to move notes between notebooks, and a real pain to keep having to navigate back and forth amongst the base Notebook, and all of the shared project notebooks.

PLEASE FIX THIS!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wonder how do one-note team people share their one note pages or sections? Do you also always create a new work book just to share one single page/section?

• Flo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, you have "heard us loud and clear", implemented what we needed, then you have removed THE MOST voted features of OneNote. I hope that you will overcome the technical barrier because we do need that feature.

• rei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So you killed an important feature "because usage was very low" because you want to make an improvement later on.
        Ever think maybe it was *really* important to those users who did use it, and that leaving it neglected for over 6 months was a bad idea?

• OneNote user commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The data and security model for OneNote must make this very difficult to do.

I've long let the Evernote camp, but sharing individual notes there was a breeze.

Too bad there's not a decent programming interface like VBA as in other Office apps. Someone could write a macro that would periodically copy changed and flagged pages and sections to a read-only locations. Onetastic is a kludge -- limited development environment that is incomprehensible to VBA users.

I want to share a section with colleagues in different parts of the country, but not my entire folder- workbook- It would be inappropriate for others to see the work of my students - Privacy CT?

• BH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking forward to the implementation of this feature - could we please have a progress update from the OneNote Team?

Currently, Google Docs is the go-to medium for most collaborative work, but when OneNote (finally) gets the ability to share individual pages, with a similar level of permissions control to what regular OneDrive/Google Drive files have, it will be a Google Docs killer, because it has:
        > Ink support;
        > Tags (especially the todo tickboxes);
        > Offline access on all platforms;
        > A 'real program' interface rather than just web;
        None of which Google Docs currently has.

Ball's in your court, Microsoft. Don't let this opportunity pass you by.

• MRS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yet one more reason to walk away from the Microsoft dinosaur and move to more innovative products that add features rather than take away.

• PG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree that this is a necessary feature.
        I only want to share meeting notes from my notebook rather than creating a separate notebook.
        Please don't dumb down products.

Agree this is really a necessary feature. I use it for meeting minutes but only want to share the meeting notes with the people at the meeting. For the moment I just have to copy and paste out or PDF it, which is very clunky.

• EB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too do not wish to share the entire notebook with people. I have used OneNote to document house renovation checklists and notes, and also for college and professional occupation note taking. If I were to want to share my classroom notes with a classmate, it is pretty lame for that person to be able to view my home renovation notes (or whatever). Please make this simple fix.

I agree with all the users below. We wanted to use this for training documentation, but if we have to create separate notebooks, we may not use it. One notebook makes it so easy to search but we need to be able to share single pages. Please bring this back!

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need this, will not use OneNote until it has this feature.

• RIN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You need to work on this ASAP. OneNote is absolutely amazing and people love it. But creating a whole notebook to share a page? Please no..

• John Smelko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a strong need to be able to share Notebook sections. For instance. I have 1:1's with 5 individuals and I would like to only share that section with the specific individual. Now I have to create 5 separate notebooks which require a lot of unnecessary space.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 73 74

Feedback and Knowledge Base