How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Ability to share individual sections or pages (instead of entire notebooks)

Vote for this if you want to be able to share an individual section or page with other users, instead of only being able to share an entire notebook.

4,905 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Darren shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    AdminOneNote Team (Admin, OneNote Team) responded  · 

Shared Links to Single Pages of Notes is being removed

We recently removed the ability to share single pages of notes. The previous single-page sharing implementation from personal OneDrive notebooks was our initial attempt to begin building out the larger feature set. However, this first step didn’t satisfy the needs of our customers and, compared to full notebook sharing, usage of the limited page sharing feature was very low. The technical path we need to take to build out the full OneNote page sharing experience requires us to deprecate the previous functionality until comprehensive work on these feature improvements can be completed.

What happens to page links that I’ve already shared with other people?

Previously shared links to single pages of notes will automatically expire as of June 15, 2018. After this date, recipients of shared page links will no longer be able to view these pages, unless a recipient has already been given access to the full notebook containing a previously shared page. Notebook owners can restore access to any previously shared pages by newly sharing the full notebook with collaborators. Alternately, you can create a separate notebook that contains copies of only those pages that you want to share, and then invite others to that separate notebook.
    We apologize for any inconvenience that this feature deprecation may cause.

For more information, please go to this support article titled – Share a page of notes or an entire notebook from OneNote for Windows 10. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/share-a-page-of-notes-or-an-entire-notebook-from-onenote-for-windows-10-d4a74a14-44a3-411e-8fb5-06e73ddf047f?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

1399 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a OneNote user, I want to be able to share individual pages, sections, or whole notebooks with my co-workers so I can control the access others have to my content.

Obvious use case - meeting notes. If I take notes during a meeting, I will store those notes in a page and I want to share that page to specific people. If I can't limit that group to only see/edit specific meeting notes pages, those people would have access to my entire notebook which is unacceptable. I will need to seek other software.

• Vikram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is infuriating as it messes up with my workflow big time. The feature wasn't even close to perfect, but it was functional and helped. I don't want to share my whole freaking notebook with someone. Now instead of keeping the pages organized in my personal notebook, you are forcing us to create a separate notebook for each individual i would like to share something with. Of course i can copy a page from one notebook to other, but what about future changes? There is no way to sync pages between notebooks. Very disappointed with you OneNote Team!

• Che commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a critical feature missing from OneNote. Competitors to OneNote offer this feature.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this has to be a feature, sharing is fundamentally flawed in onenote with the all or nothing approach.

• Pao Yee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just wanted to share some ideas about a house remodelation that I wrote in my OneNote, and I got the surprise that the other person was enable to see my whole workbook with another topics that he didn't had the concert.

When you choose the option "Share" the program doesn't give you even information about what in specific are you going to share after choose a contact to.

Please keep in my for next updates.
        Thanks in advance for the consideration.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it possible to select typed words and set in background vs only pictures? I found a go around by using snip tool and then pasting and then setting in background.

• Jair Bear commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would really benift from having this feature so I could share just the Math section to my Math teacher or just the science section to my science teacher etc in my school notebook.

Not being able to share a single page or section is a BIG problem. Evernote just works better on this feature.

This is incomplete as it does not work for OneDrive for Business and Sharepoint located OneNote documents. So for business this feature is non existent. It works only well on OneDrive personal use.

Is it possible to share single sections with someone without shareing the whole Notebook?

• Kyle Stenson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not completed in OneNote for Mac 2016. Lacking this feature is a big deal. We use Office 365 in a 3,000 employee company across the globe, yet we can't use this tool to share single page notes? People are sticking with, or moving to Evernote in droves.

• Chris Stowe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really need this functionality on the Mac, I can feel myself reaching back for Evernote...

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is not implemented. How can MS say it is complete when it's in fact not?!

• Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously Microsoft? This task is not completed. I need to be able to share sections! In OneNote 2016! Right now, you can only share notebooks. You have to use a separate (and horrible and useless app) to share a page.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 69 70

Feedback and Knowledge Base