How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Ability to share individual sections or pages (instead of entire notebooks)

Vote for this if you want to be able to share an individual section or page with other users, instead of only being able to share an entire notebook.

5,124 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Darren shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    AdminOneNote Team (Admin, OneNote Team) responded  · 

Shared Links to Single Pages of Notes is being removed

We recently removed the ability to share single pages of notes. The previous single-page sharing implementation from personal OneDrive notebooks was our initial attempt to begin building out the larger feature set. However, this first step didn’t satisfy the needs of our customers and, compared to full notebook sharing, usage of the limited page sharing feature was very low. The technical path we need to take to build out the full OneNote page sharing experience requires us to deprecate the previous functionality until comprehensive work on these feature improvements can be completed.

What happens to page links that I’ve already shared with other people?

Previously shared links to single pages of notes will automatically expire as of June 15, 2018. After this date, recipients of shared page links will no longer be able to view these pages, unless a recipient has already been given access to the full notebook containing a previously shared page. Notebook owners can restore access to any previously shared pages by newly sharing the full notebook with collaborators. Alternately, you can create a separate notebook that contains copies of only those pages that you want to share, and then invite others to that separate notebook.
    We apologize for any inconvenience that this feature deprecation may cause.

For more information, please go to this support article titled – Share a page of notes or an entire notebook from OneNote for Windows 10. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/share-a-page-of-notes-or-an-entire-notebook-from-onenote-for-windows-10-d4a74a14-44a3-411e-8fb5-06e73ddf047f?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

1420 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • RIN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sharing the whole notebook is cool. But I work on a lot of things in my notebook, and I just want to share a page with my team who have nothing to do with the other pages or sections. Onenote is the best platform for taking notes for me, it helps me organize my stuff; my everyday life, my work, my project, etc., so I would really like you to reconsider sharing one page/section.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been a request since 2014 (4 years) with 1418 comments (excluding this one) and 5115 votes as of the moment and will just grow.

I hope our voice is important to you and that you would consider this again. It's really inconvenient to share a whole notebook.

Also, please add this feature on the Mac App or even just on the web version so everyone can have access. Thanks

I think OneNote is cool but sharing a single page option is a really important feature as there are some things that I wouldn't to share with other people in my notebook. I know there are "workarounds" but these are not legit in some way and I feel uncomfortable doing this. Mostly inconvenient and tedious.

With regards to sharing option, I guess Evernote does a greater job at it. I initially thought of using OneNote fully and switch but looks like Evernote will still be a good option for collaboration.

Also looking for sharing of sections and/or pages from ON for Mac. Cross-platform parity is a must these days.

Current state of ON and OD force me to continue to maintain Dropbox and Evernote accounts for when I just need to get it done.

• Lorinda Ang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sharing a section is very important for collaboration as this saves me from being responsible in handling a section.

Sharing only a section or page is one of the most productive features and it was removed, this makes no sense seriously. Right now you always need to change to a different notebook just to go to a page shared with XYZ, and also your notebooks creepif you work on many projects or small things that shouldn't need a full separate notebook.

• Baek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is critical reason for me to use other service. Just low usage of feature can't be reason enough to be removed. Sharing is a very important feature for users. Please remember that allowing user to choose a shared range of pages is another alternative.

• Noel Ralfe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Under these circumstances it would be very useful to have the ability to be able to list all shared single pages of notes in an entire notebook. As things stand, it will be a big task for those with large numbers of shared pages to manually identify those shares.

• Mark Palk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a project engineer and have a notebook for each project. I have regular team meetings that I take meeting minutes for and would love to share my team meeting section with the rest of the team. I do not want to share all the other sections/details in the project with them. Please add the capability to share an individual section instead of the entire notebook. Thanks, Mark.

I want the kids in my class to see the combined content I put up for study. Then I want them to write their own responses on a separate page in their notebook that I can see but that other students cannot see or interfere with. Students are capable of sabotaging each other's work. So please can we have the collaboration space, then the contents sections which are for everyone, then the capacity to have a personal page or section for each student's private work. Thank you. Otherwise One Note is no better than anything else.

• Maria Filipe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why?? Sharing just section or pages was an Amazing option. I meam my Notebook have 6 sections (privat, school, work, receipts, quick notes, ideas). So the privat section i would share with my partner, and one or two pages of this sections with some friends. The Work section i want to share with my co-worker but almost everypage with a different menber of the Team. It make no sense to create a Notebook separatly to share to everyperson. And the some notes would be duplied. Because on Notebook 1 you share with person 1, but on Notebook 2 you shared with person 1 and 2 per example an resume of the imformation.
        Don't make us life complicater! Please just make single pages/section sharing possible again. OneNote is a super invention, and i love to work with it at my Surface pro 4, but with this new Uptade it will not possible anymore to work with. We wanted to start to use Notebook often, but now i am not so sure anymore... Why don't have both opitions?

Please make this possible again, It was an awesome feature, I don't want to share the entire notebook, just only sections or pages.

• Chaz Weber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You don't always want to show someone an entire notebook. There is some research, some notes, or a full thought out document created and it has to be copied, pasted, and completely re-formatted to share it to a larger audience. Might as well use Excel and Word to take notes if that is the case.

• Jochen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Microsoft, here comes one of the many reasons why you are still not the de facto standard for businesses and collaboration:
        - My team members use the same notebook
        - Now you want to share insights of say a meeting with another team(-member)
        - What to do? Share the whole notebook with this external audience, really?

• Eddie Zaragoza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make this possible again, I want to share only certain sections or pages but do not want to have to separate out that material to a separate notebook. Thank you!

• disappointed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This 18 April update does not make any sense whatsoever. It says "usage of the limited page sharing feature was very low" is totally ridiculous for two reasons. First, you never implemented this feature on the desktop version of ON. So how could you possibly know about the usage of this feature? Second, there are about 5000 votes for this feature here? Why all these people have voted for this feature? To have and to not use the feature? Above all, sharing a page makes perfect sense, and from the outset that ON did not have this feature was ridiculous. OneNote Team really dropped the ball here.

• DKO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I prefer to share single pages with folks over entire notebooks.

• Hal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

This needs to be remedied. Sorry, but sharing a whole notebook is mostly going to be useless, we need to be able to share sections and pages.

Please add a section/page sharing option.

Thanks.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 70 71

Feedback and Knowledge Base