How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Ability to password protect an entire notebook (instead of just individual sections)

We need the convenience of being able to easily protect an entire Windows desktop notebook with a password, and then, when opened, have the ability to search the entire notebook. Section by section password protection is a major pain when working with large notebooks with many sections, all of which need to be protected separately. Having the same protection available on all platforms would be the icing on the cake!

1,556 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Vivian shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

220 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please, implement this feature. It is really annoying to unlock each section separately.

Thank you

• Vasu Kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Microsoft,

Do you have any reply? This is a much needed option. Please do add option to set password for entire Notebook.

• Jay Farnsworth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've come up with a very effective workaround to this issue, which I've been using since November of 2017, if you happen to be using a Samsung device with OneNote mobile. Samsung supports a feature called "Secure Folder", which is a second virtual instance of Android. You can create a robust password to enter the Secure Folder, or you can use other authentication methods including Iris and Fingerprint. I've created a OneNote instance in my regular Android home screen that only contains non-secure OneNote Notebooks that I wouldn't care if someone I lent my phone to opened. All of these notebooks are stored on Office 365 Consumer Cloud. Within the Secure Folder home screen, I've created a second instance of OneNote that includes all of my O365 Consumer Cloud "non-secure" notebooks, and also contains my Office 365 for Business "secure" notebooks. No one can access these notebooks, unless they have my Secure Folder password. This effectively gives me a single, robust password for access to all of my sensitive OneNote Notebooks, that I would care very much if someone I lent my phone to were able to access. I set the security timeout setting on the Secure Folder instance of Android to 1 minute, so if I lay my device down, it locks the Secure Folder after 1 minute of no activity. I'm aware that this only applies to Samsung mobile devices, but I have no relationship to Samsung whatsoever, except as a customer, and it solved my problem, so I'm sharing it for other Samsung customers who might benefit, not as a plug for Samsung.

• Gert Bogaert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fully agree with this requirement.
    It would be nice if there would be any response from Microsoft side why this is not possible (cost of implementation, design problem, considered as not useful, ....)

BR

• Nilesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed .. I felt a need to lock the entire notebook. I was about to write in the feedback.
    But I come to know these many comments already there regarding it.

Microsoft, kindly do it in next update ...

• Harriet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is the delay in this being implemented related to the fact that each section is treated as a separate file, so that password protection would also need to hide the name of the section, not just the pages and content below it, and be carried out multiple times for every section?

• Harriet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Five years is a long time for us to have been waiting for this. It's a massive impediment to searching to have to unlock every section individually before you can search the notebook, even if you use the same password each time.

• Mark Opti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like "Uservoice" is a joke - the feedback seems never addressed by Microsoft. They keep adding features that nobody needs but ignoring users request no matter how popular the request.

amost 1,5K users took time to vote for it in 5 years - and still nothing done. Microsoft sucks !

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This makes no sense not to have the ability to password protect an entire notebook which will allow all the subsequent sections to be locked. We should also have the option to lock only sections if need be. Microsoft, surely you will not continue to ignore the request of your business customers. Kindly provide a response to these numerous comments and request with an update on this issue. Much appreciated.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature- can't understand why it's missing???

• yama commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

or as a minimum ,section groups, that way you can have large number of related sections encrypted as a group

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature, current method of locking sections is not user friendly.

• Aubrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreement with all the others. Please just make this available already!

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously, let us protect the entire notebook instead of just one section at a time!

• Elizabeth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we get an update on this? It really is a pain to have to protect each section separately and clearly folks have been asking for this for a long time.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

Feedback and Knowledge Base