How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Ability to password protect an entire notebook (instead of just individual sections)

We need the convenience of being able to easily protect an entire Windows desktop notebook with a password, and then, when opened, have the ability to search the entire notebook. Section by section password protection is a major pain when working with large notebooks with many sections, all of which need to be protected separately. Having the same protection available on all platforms would be the icing on the cake!

1,491 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Vivian shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

216 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nilesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed .. I felt a need to lock the entire notebook. I was about to write in the feedback.
        But I come to know these many comments already there regarding it.

Microsoft, kindly do it in next update ...

• Harriet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is the delay in this being implemented related to the fact that each section is treated as a separate file, so that password protection would also need to hide the name of the section, not just the pages and content below it, and be carried out multiple times for every section?

• Harriet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Five years is a long time for us to have been waiting for this. It's a massive impediment to searching to have to unlock every section individually before you can search the notebook, even if you use the same password each time.

• Mark Opti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like "Uservoice" is a joke - the feedback seems never addressed by Microsoft. They keep adding features that nobody needs but ignoring users request no matter how popular the request.

amost 1,5K users took time to vote for it in 5 years - and still nothing done. Microsoft sucks !

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This makes no sense not to have the ability to password protect an entire notebook which will allow all the subsequent sections to be locked. We should also have the option to lock only sections if need be. Microsoft, surely you will not continue to ignore the request of your business customers. Kindly provide a response to these numerous comments and request with an update on this issue. Much appreciated.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature- can't understand why it's missing???

• yama commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

or as a minimum ,section groups, that way you can have large number of related sections encrypted as a group

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature, current method of locking sections is not user friendly.

• Aubrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreement with all the others. Please just make this available already!

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously, let us protect the entire notebook instead of just one section at a time!

• Elizabeth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we get an update on this? It really is a pain to have to protect each section separately and clearly folks have been asking for this for a long time.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe after four years Microsoft hasn't been added this basic feature yet, and worst than that even did not reply to its users that they are working on it or there are some technical challenges on its way or at least they have highest priorities...
        It's the worst way of listening to your USERS VOICE!!!

• Pratik Nagpure commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneNote is best note taking app but the lack of password protecting notebook and lack of password protection on android and windows app on launching are making me think to switch to EVERNOTE.
        Please Microsoft, Hear your users' long awaited request.

• Manal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes this feature is a must! I don't understand why we can't password protect a whole notebook. if you password protect a notebook then all the sections and pages under it are protected. If I just want to protect one section only I should be able to do that as well.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

Feedback and Knowledge Base