How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Ability to password protect an entire notebook (instead of just individual sections)

We need the convenience of being able to easily protect an entire Windows desktop notebook with a password, and then, when opened, have the ability to search the entire notebook. Section by section password protection is a major pain when working with large notebooks with many sections, all of which need to be protected separately. Having the same protection available on all platforms would be the icing on the cake!

1,395 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Vivian shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

197 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Manal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes this feature is a must! I don't understand why we can't password protect a whole notebook. if you password protect a notebook then all the sections and pages under it are protected. If I just want to protect one section only I should be able to do that as well.

• Kyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why............ has this not been added yet? Instead of features like this we have Windows Ink and the rest of that junk.

• Langley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is a must. I have to unlock each section to do a basic word search. We need to be able to lock and unlock an entire notebook.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature. Data protection is very vital nowadays, and is a basic feature, and should not be an inconvenience to use.

• Spence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

User voice lol. How many voices do you need in 4 years to implement a basic feature?

• Bobby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow password protection at the notebook level.

Its ideal and beneficial for those who really need it and use this product extensively.

• Wendy Collidge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just started to use OneNote for work, but I have 6 notebooks and 1 is confidential - I can't lock that notebook. Instead I have to lock each of the sections within the notebook, that is not efficient.

Please allow password protection at the notebook level.

• chrimitt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make the Password protection usable. If you have a section with About 1.5. GB OneNote is not able to create e Password protected section (circle spins and spins).
        When you synchronized your word printouts from OneNote2016 to OneNote UWP, the printouts disappear, when using Password protection. When you remove the Password from the section, printouts are visible again. That is useless. I want to see my word printouts in Password protected sections.

• Shyam V commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a key feature IMO, password protecting at the section level is still revealing the section names, this itself is a big concern. It's been 4 yrs since the original ask. Please consider this feature.

• quailkatie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This entire notebook locking feature would be great. I just learned that a dipS*&% co-irker of mine added a bunch of random stuff to our OneNote (with no less than 50 project folder sections) without telling me and now everything is jumbled. I had to re-organize all the folders and still have to figure out why now it is unable to sync to our sharepoint all of a sudden. Frustration is an understatement. The ability to password protect an entire notebook would have solved this problem and kept from other non-value added sections from being added! Thankfully, I have admin rights to our sharepoint and can add this co-irker now as "read only"

• Rob C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you lock a section, there is an option to Lock All. this works for me.

• Peter Youssef commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft does it again. Even when they don't have to innovate and customers are pleading for basic features they fail to cater to their needs. Onenote is such a great product, but failing to cater for basic customer needs means we look elsewhere!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base