How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Ability to password protect an entire notebook (instead of just individual sections)

We need the convenience of being able to easily protect an entire Windows desktop notebook with a password, and then, when opened, have the ability to search the entire notebook. Section by section password protection is a major pain when working with large notebooks with many sections, all of which need to be protected separately. Having the same protection available on all platforms would be the icing on the cake!

1,444 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Vivian shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

204 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Aubrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreement with all the others. Please just make this available already!

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously, let us protect the entire notebook instead of just one section at a time!

• Elizabeth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we get an update on this? It really is a pain to have to protect each section separately and clearly folks have been asking for this for a long time.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe after four years Microsoft hasn't been added this basic feature yet, and worst than that even did not reply to its users that they are working on it or there are some technical challenges on its way or at least they have highest priorities...
        It's the worst way of listening to your USERS VOICE!!!

• Pratik Nagpure commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneNote is best note taking app but the lack of password protecting notebook and lack of password protection on android and windows app on launching are making me think to switch to EVERNOTE.
        Please Microsoft, Hear your users' long awaited request.

• Manal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes this feature is a must! I don't understand why we can't password protect a whole notebook. if you password protect a notebook then all the sections and pages under it are protected. If I just want to protect one section only I should be able to do that as well.

• Kyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why............ has this not been added yet? Instead of features like this we have Windows Ink and the rest of that junk.

• Langley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is a must. I have to unlock each section to do a basic word search. We need to be able to lock and unlock an entire notebook.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature. Data protection is very vital nowadays, and is a basic feature, and should not be an inconvenience to use.

• Spence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

User voice lol. How many voices do you need in 4 years to implement a basic feature?

• Bobby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow password protection at the notebook level.

Its ideal and beneficial for those who really need it and use this product extensively.

• Wendy Collidge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just started to use OneNote for work, but I have 6 notebooks and 1 is confidential - I can't lock that notebook. Instead I have to lock each of the sections within the notebook, that is not efficient.

Please allow password protection at the notebook level.

• chrimitt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make the Password protection usable. If you have a section with About 1.5. GB OneNote is not able to create e Password protected section (circle spins and spins).
        When you synchronized your word printouts from OneNote2016 to OneNote UWP, the printouts disappear, when using Password protection. When you remove the Password from the section, printouts are visible again. That is useless. I want to see my word printouts in Password protected sections.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

Feedback and Knowledge Base