How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Include OneNote for Desktop in Office 2019

I really like the desktop lay-out with notebooks on the left, sections on top and pages on the right. I tried the UWP version, and while perfectly suited for use on a tablet (with a reduced number of - bigger - buttons), I feel it misses too many features to replace the desktop version.

So please include OneNote in the new Office 2019 suite!

1,402 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

RCP shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

243 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"OneNote 2016 is not going away" ….. yeah of course, if you already have it, great. What about a new computer in 2019, and an Office 365 subscription?

How am I supposed to get OneNote 2016?

• J Roth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a teacher...the functionality of the desktop version is SO much better than the app. I don't even want to promote the app with my students. Less options, not visually as friendly.... Keep the desktop version in 2019!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, Despite many assurances that OneNote 2016 remains available, I cannot find a fully functioning download link. One supposed link to a download just goes to a word document.

Will someone please provide a working link. I am an Office 365 subscriber. Many thank.

Also, there is no way I can use UWP Onenote until there is feature parity.

I love Onenote. It's the best program Microsoft has ever made. I get everyone to use it. Please don't ruin it!

Just adding that the navigation is horrible on UWP Onenote.

We need to option to have tabs for sections and section groups along the top, again, notebooks on the left (which can be hidden), and pages on the right. Like the desktop version.

The current layout takes up too much space and takes too long to navigate. The previous layout was intuitive, quick, colour-coordinated, and did not take up much space. Plus, you could hide what you wanted.

Please give us at least the OPTION to move pages, sections, and notebooks where we want.-The left, top, or right. Please also make page tabs the same colour as their section!

• Zach Brownfield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This move would be absurd. The UWP version is worse than the Online version of OneNote and is not a great experience for being productive on the desktop!

• TracieT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use OneNote 2016 all the time on my laptop at work as like the person above - i much prefer the layout and use the "Send to OneNote" all the time from all other applications. Unfortunately my company is moving to O365 with OneDrive for Business and this will not link to OneNote 2016. :(

Please can there be an option to have the layout the same in the W10 App as in the OneNote 2016 - the current version just takes up too much real estate on the screen.

• Andrea Rose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneNote 2016 is such a superior product compared to OneNote Online or the OneNote app it is truly sad that OneNote 2019 won't be existent. The only way to make OneNote UWP a replacement is to incorporate all the functionality that OneNote 2016 has including the educational and accessibility add-ins. Really hope you guys re-think this you made a wonderful product and it would be a shame to downgrade it.

• Rafael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Going down this path of running the full "local notebook friendly" version off a cliff is sure to turn me from a fierce advocate of the product to a very vocal critic

• Germán commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hope that the long hours are not in vain (forgive my deficient English)

• Features that are in Onenote 2016 and I would like them to be in Onenote UWP
        1. The entire Review tab (ortography, reference, synonyms, translate, language, linked notes).
        2. Equation tools.
        3. toolbar for quick access.
        4. Customize ribbon or at least divide groups of buttons. Onenote UWP has a minimalist and nice UI but a regular UX.

• Features that are not in any of the two versions and I NEED THEM!
        1. Integrate Onenote with the SUBTASKS and NOTES of the tasks (not only with the tasks) in TO Do.
        ○ 1354 votes and counting https://goo.gl/X6EVLw (main thread)
        ○ 888 votes = 504+145+7+48+108+39+37 in suggestions: 19007332; 34002877; 8484856; 34284562; 33683518; 34065319; 33905137.
        ○ 14 votes and counting https://goo.gl/gKxbWf (this is MY CONCRETE PROPOSAL on how to implement it, it is pretty recent)
        ○ houndreds of ideas related with to dos functionalitys with thousands of votes (without exageration)
        2. Endnotes in page, the only functionality that many of us need to do without the word. (why not zotero addin too?)
        ○ 121 votes and counting https://goo.gl/HEtcYM
        ○ 21 votes and counting https://goo.gl/UeVbUC
        3. Comments like in word
        ○ 204 votes and counting https://goo.gl/1Kdh5j
        ○ many others with few votes
        4. Outlook: send to onenote automatically set as a rule
        ○ 9 votes and counting https://goo.gl/KCK69m
        ○ 59 votes and counting https://goo.gl/is1dPj

• Characteristics that I am following the trail, because you have already promised to implement them or because I am convinced that they will arrive very soon.
        1. View Excel sheets.
        2. Search by tags and attachments.
        3. Record video.

• Brett Gilleo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

UWP is not as powerful as the desktop, which is sad. While the desktop version is not going away it will not gain new features. Once the UWP version catches up I’ll make the switch but not right now

• Marin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't play audio recordings made in the Microsoft Store version of OneNote in OneNote 2016. Please fix it.

• Duffield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to be able to import and export .one files locally is absolutely essential for enterprises who cannot work in the cloud. Please include this feature in OneNote UWP.

• Nate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my voice to the others. I heavily rely on the full feature set of OneNote 2016 on a daily basis. Using the much less robust UWP version would be a huge step in the wrong direction! Please consider updating the OneNote desktop version to 2019 or adding it's features to the UWP version!

• Ray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please keep this application in development as a DESKTOP tool! The app/online experience is lacking so many features and so much extensibility that I've included in my workflow for over 15 years in using MS Office. Why break a winning tool?

• C. Yusuf Mumtaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to propose the following for the Windows 10 app:

- add the following tags: read and view; this is useful for referring or linking to reading or viewing materials; great for contextualizing notes. Take other suggestions from users, but try to avoid too many.

- Page level hashtags: exactly how Evernote does it; this will minimize the needs for inline tags and will improve organization and searching.

- Inserting Excel Spreadsheets and Visio diagrams: this is missing in the Windows 10 app;

- I'm assuming video files can be added with the "File" button;

- Are the history features available in the W10 app?

- Improved integration with Outlook and Microsoft To-Do

- Local Saves (I hardly use it anymore but it would be an option for very confidential materials)

- Adding all the features of OneTastic as basic features of OneNote

- The layout is smoother and more readable in the W10 app

• Cindy Vasey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And why are you removing all the best integration features with Outlook? You're making OneNote more of a toy with all the drawing features and far less of a business application by removing very useful features like reciprocal tasks between OneNote & Outlook. Do not take things away - just add new stuff. You guys make things so much harder than necessary sometimes.

• Cindy Vasey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You CANNOT take away our ability to keep things off the Cloud!! Seriously. Not all of like our files off our desktop machines because not all of us like the Cloud you know.

• Hal Sclater commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes this is pretty terrible that new features are not being introduced in Onenote 2016, we pay for Office 365 ProPlus, and Microsoft are introducing new ink capabilities into other applications and not Onenote 2016, which is what all of our users use for taking notes.

We don't let anyone install anything from the store, so this is going to be a big issue. Additionally some machines are on LTSC which doesn't even include the Windows Store, so eventually they won't be able to use Onenote at all.

Additionally Onenote from the store is missing many important features e.g. Outlook integration and templates, so won't be a suitable replacement.

Since we have to keep updating Office365 ProPlus in order to connect to Office 365 (for email etc), eventually no one will have Onenote at all, which is great considering that we just rolled out Windows Tablet devices with a stylus. Thanks.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13

Feedback and Knowledge Base