How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Include OneNote for Desktop in Office 2019

I really like the desktop lay-out with notebooks on the left, sections on top and pages on the right. I tried the UWP version, and while perfectly suited for use on a tablet (with a reduced number of - bigger - buttons), I feel it misses too many features to replace the desktop version.

So please include OneNote in the new Office 2019 suite!

1,657 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

RCP shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

285 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is no updating of imported to onenote excel files (if you open and do changes in xls than you can't automatically update in onenote).

Navigation tabs in left is terrible, etc, etc. Please return desktop version and do the real updates for it.

• Ron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That is not an adequate answer. OneNote 2016 has "gone away". It no longer installs in 2019 or 2016. The user has to do a separate install. That is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

The idea that OneNote UWP is a realistic replacement for OneNote 2016 is a fools dream. But then again, it is typical of other decisions you guys have been making. You seem to think that Windows 10 "Settings" dialogs are replacements for Control Panel dialogs. Not likely. You keep trying to tell us that UWP craplets like Photos are realistic replacements for the old real applications. They are not.

Microsoft, get your collective heads out of your ..... you are driving your customers away.

I practically live in OneNote to the exclusion of all other tools. Please continue improving and supporting OneNote 2016. Don't let it go to seed. The online version just does not cut it in terms of features responsiveness. Can't think of going back. Besides work, my entire family uses it to keep in touch. No, we don't use FaceBook. Just OneNote. It's fantastic and secure. No hackers here, Russian or otherwise.

• Andrew Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An app that supports local storage is an absolute necessity! We're not allowed to use OneDrive to store company data so it's imperative to be able to use OneNote with local data - and to have the app to continue to be updated and not mothballed.

• Paul Coddington commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Critical showstopper problem with Windows 10 OneNote: no ability to work with local notebooks.

There is no way that "opening my notebooks" can be considered an unpopular feature not worth migrating to the store version.

If I transfer local notebooks to the cloud, they are no longer LOCAL notebooks.

Confidential data cannot be transferred to cloud services.

Cloud notebooks are inaccessible to backup processes: the files are not actually stored on OneDrive, but are hidden on a cloud service somewhere. OneDrive only contains a shortcut to that cloud service.

This is not viable for power OneNote users serious about preserving confidentiality and data integrity.

Also, vertical navigation panes are inferior to tabs (wastes screen space, forces horizontal scrolling). More information can be displayed in a smaller window size with desktop version than can be displayed with Windows 10 version.

Sad to say, the Feedback Hub entries for these problems have almost no votes, yet the request to add a Dark Theme has over a thousand votes.

Yet, these critical issues should not have to be requested after the fact: the design team should have anticipated them and implemented them on day one.

• Dave Kjendal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Features we use in OneNote 2016 that are not present in OneNote for Windows:
        1) Email (and export to PDF) page (this combined with Meeting details is very powerful with SFDC)
        2) History features
        3) Tag search and custom tags

We use OneNote 2016 every day in my organisation with 200 employees. Fantastic application which made me leave my old Evernote for both work and private. How could you possibly miss to continue to include OneNote in O365? The only really good improvement (for me) in the suite for ages... All the other stuff is basically eye candy and small improvements, while OneNote made us change how we work.

• Jeff Arnette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jeff Arnette commented · Just Now · Delete

If they drop OneNote desktop version, I will be forced to find an alternative to Microsoft Office 365. I have used OneNote to organize all my work and notes for over 10 years. Please continue or restart support for desktop version.

• Jake80 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dropping support for OneNote in O365 is a terrible idea. Why not continue to support it and drop that AWFUL Windows Store app? It's dumbed down, no options for plugins. Students are not the only ones that use this, many project managers do as well as business people do.

This is the only reason why I have a subscription and plan on pulling mine if it's not considered and added back. I imagine that others will be too.

There's enough free versions of "Office" out there for me to get by.

• Glerikud Strawhat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My primary concern is about using OneNote offline. That means using it without the need to sign in and also to have the ability to export and backup my notebooks at will. OneNote for Windows 10 does not have such features and I fail to see the reason why was the OneNote desktop version discontinued. Please take into consideration either making OneNote 2019 or implementing complete offline usage into the UWP version (without the need of an account). Think about schools and workplaces where the internet connection is not so reliable (or absent) or the users are working with sensitive information that can't be uploaded to the cloud. Thank you.

Please, OneNote UWP is garbage. Many schools in my area depend on OneNote. Discard OneNote UWP and focus development on OneNote "classic".

Given the choice between OneNote UWP and no OneNote, my org is going to look hard at Chromebooks. Chrome tablets are starting to look appealing. Google is going to steal your remaining Windows tablet PC holdouts in EDU if you neglect the "star" application we all rely on.

• Jay Farnsworth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I read several articles last week that quoted a Microsoft spokesman as saying that Microsoft is no longer developing new features for UWP apps since they have halted work on Windows 10 Mobile. The spokesman went on to say "We are currently prioritizing development for the iOS and Android versions of our apps; and on Windows, we are prioritizing Win32 and web versions of our apps"

Does this imply that the OneNote is being abandoned by Microsoft? I am inferring this because OneNote Win32 is NOT being developed for Office 2019 and, according to last week's Microsoft announcements, Office UWP Apps are being abandoned by Microsoft.

Please let us know the future of OneNote.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work for a large bank and there are 1000's of employees that use OneNote 2016 but I don't see a path forward when the company upgrades to Office 2019. They don't keep the old office versions, they upgrade all the computers to the new office version. They don't allow apps from the windows app store. So can you please tell me why you are doing this to a huge customer base? Even if we had access to the Windows 10 version it dosen't have half the features we love to use. Please please include OneNote in the office 2019 release.

The idea that you will be replacing a full desktop program with an app designed for a cell phone. Whoever proposed this fire them. The app is not the "latest and greatest". It is an applet with less functionality than the browser interface. It provides few of the features of the full version. It does not integrate with Office 2016. Doing this after much advertisement of it and making it a major feature of Office Online is insulting to everyone who adopted it assuming Microsoft actually intended to support the products it produced.

• DOM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Haha, Microsoft is fighting against their customers, how crazy is that?! What business case could be the reason for such a stupidness?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 14 15

Feedback and Knowledge Base