How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Include OneNote for Desktop in Office 2019

I really like the desktop lay-out with notebooks on the left, sections on top and pages on the right. I tried the UWP version, and while perfectly suited for use on a tablet (with a reduced number of - bigger - buttons), I feel it misses too many features to replace the desktop version.

So please include OneNote in the new Office 2019 suite!

2,067 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

RCP shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

385 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No longer an effective tool for me. 2016 still available you say? For how long? Until a windows 10 update makes it unusable?

UWP is now highly inefficient and unusable for me. I'm not going to use a search bar and try 5 searches until i get the right keyword to put in a single freaking checkbox or another regularly used tool. Why can't you just keep easily accessible toolbars???

I'm now looking for which competitor note application to migrate to unless you can bring the Toolbars back and provide offline storage option.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why change and stop supporting something that worked perfectly fine and was one of the main reason for me to install Office 2016 in the first place?
        I have converted whole my team to the use of OneNote with local sharing. I don't want to be forced to store my files online w/o any control on where it is stored and how it is used.
        Please keep OneNote integrated into office with the option of clearly being able to work offline and decide what should be synced with OneDrive.

• MarTex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That "To be clear, OneNote 2016 is not going away, and you can use it as long as you’d like" is a trick answer. Does that mean you won't update it and eventually it will be obsolete (or even unsecure) and we will be forced to swallow the sluggish cloud enforcement and a reduced feature set? No thanks. This will be incompatible with many use-cases and many users won't tolerate it. You must refrain from such counterproductive sabotages and stop ignoring your user base, if you want the bloody subscription model to work.

• Andre Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Keep onenote for desktop and keep on updating it. Onenote for windows are a inferior program for all those users who have been using the app extensively.

If the UWP version (OneNote for Windows) is to replace OneNote for Office (or Office OneNote), it needs to have a lot more features that we depend upon. There was an initial jump to make OneNote for Windows more feature complete but seems to have stopped. This includes custom tags (and incorporating all of the tags presently available with other versions), ability to change the date/time of a note, support for plug-in applications (Grammarly, Onetastic), Searching separated from navigation (already done on iOS thankfully), etc.

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

essentially I just want to keep the format the same as it is now. A co worker just upgraded and it looks like he lost a lot of functionality from a navigation perspective.

• Fred L Gibson Jr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am truly disappointed in Microsoft in abandoning OneNote as part of Office 2019. This move backwards harms your users. The UWP version is totally inadequate and I consider unusable for my needs.

• John Walsh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been using Onenote in an Education and Enterprise environment for 10 years. I cannot switch to using the UWP app until that app supports local storage.

I am a OneNote 2013 user and I am so disappointed that the desktop version is changing. I know that access over multiple platforms is important but I don't see dumbing down the desktop version as the answer. I am so disappointed.

• Oleg Glushko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Patrick, thanks for you answer. I hope this niche to be filled by competitors before the support of Office 2016 ends.

• Patrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oleg:
        Unfortunately, to my knowledge there's none with the all the same features and the same functionality

Windows 8 UI was obnoxious. Windows 10 UI is Ok, but the push to force us into using UWP apps, along with the Privacy Intrusion, is the "New Obnoxious".

I do not want my every keystroke and mouse click linked to "The Cloud". One of the first things to go on a new Windows 10 install is the OneNote for Windows 10 app.

For me, the top 3 applications in Office are Outlook, OneNote and Word, in that order. For me, one third of the reason I buy Office or subscribe to Office 365 is now gone! A third! How much longer before Libre Office and Thunderbird fill the void? For me, not long.

So for now I've downloaded and installed OneNote 2016, but only until I can get my info out of it and moved to other applications or deleted.

OneNote for Windows 10 is no replacement for the "Real" OneNote and never will be.

• Strec commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh, and Merry Christmas, wherever all you Microsoft OneNote Dev people are in the world. That's a wish for joy and peace for everyone of you.

• Strec commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please include and surpass all the functionality of OneNote 2016 when making UWP* the best version of OneNote.

*UWP = Universal Window Platform, the one that runs on all devices and is the new 'default' version starting in Office 2019: not the 'only' version; just the default version.

Choosing not to add new features, and only do maintenance, to OneNote2016 allows a focus on OneNote UWP until it is greater than or equal to our belovedly powerful OneNote 2016.

The way I look at this is that I'll be using OneNote 2016 until UWP's features catch up to and surpass OneNote 2016's features. So basically, you guys have until end of mainstream support lifecycle in October 2020 to delivery equivalency and possible improvements.

I think you can do it. I know you have to do it. No one wants to even consider what might happen if you don't make UWP ≥ 2016 happen.

Best Regards, with wishes for Good luck and God speed because you'll likely need both.

P.S. Please don't ever take my OneNote away: it would be apocalyptic to my life.

• Dominique GEORGES commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a nightmare it has been to retrieve the ISO for reinstalling Office2016 !

Only geeks will be able too proceed, lambda people won't and will be forced to find an alternative to OneNote.

This will, for sure, provide a second life to EverNote.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 19 20

Feedback and Knowledge Base