How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Include OneNote for Desktop in Office 2019

I really like the desktop lay-out with notebooks on the left, sections on top and pages on the right. I tried the UWP version, and while perfectly suited for use on a tablet (with a reduced number of - bigger - buttons), I feel it misses too many features to replace the desktop version.

So please include OneNote in the new Office 2019 suite!

989 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

RCP shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Gathering feedback  ·  AdminOneNote Team (Admin, OneNote Team) responded  · 

OneNote for Windows 10 will come with Office 2019 and Office 365 by default, although users will still be able to install OneNote 2016 if they need it.

Over the last few years we’ve been focused on making OneNote for Windows 10 the best version of OneNote on Windows. Beginning with the launch of Office 2019 later this year, OneNote for Windows 10 will replace OneNote 2016 as the default OneNote experience for both Office 365 and Office 2019. If you currently use OneNote 2016, you won’t notice any changes when you update to Office 2019. We’ll continue to offer support, bug fixes, and security updates for OneNote 2016 for the duration of the Office 2016 support lifecycle, which runs through October 2020 for mainstream support and October 2025 for extended support

Coming soon to OneNote for Windows 10:
    • Insert and search for tags
    • Live previews of Office files in OneNote
    • Improved sync

To read the announcement in its entirety, use this link
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365-Blog/The-best-version-of-OneNote-on-Windows/ba-p/183974

Please continue to post and vote for features that you see missing or an existing experience that could be improved. We do read these.

170 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I read the direction of Microsoft to go to Windows 10 OneNote, and not add features to OneNote 2016 anymore, but the windows store version is severely lacking in features that are simple to use and very helpful in OneNote 2016. Please continue the desktop version until feature parity is achieved. One simple example from this morning's demo I was doing was the use of Meeting minutes and emailing the page where it automatically sends to the meeting recipients. I don't want to manually add every recipient, it should take the meeting participants like the 2016 version and let me send a copy of the page via email. This is just one quick example, the number of votes shows there are many more.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use OneNote very often, too.
        It became a really important tool for me.

• Jaren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I struggle with this. I use OneNote heavily for everything I do, and train many others on it’s various uses. While I find cloud storage a big acessability convenience, I just am not comfortable not being able to export and backup/move my notebooks back to cold storage if I need to. It’s important to know your files are safe, and while I trust enterprise storage on onedrive, I don’t trust myself to not do something stupid, which required cold, offline backups.

Professional, I deploy Onenote to students and teachers. This change is just a change, and while change is always a challenge it means that the tool will continue to be supported in education. So, I get to keep doing my job, but personally it looks like I am stuck using OneNote 2016 untill microsoft realizes their mistake in not keeping it a premium desktop option. I hope they decide to keep desktop.

I would not mind having 2 versions that feel different if I means I can keep doing what I do in onenote(2016). a separation between Educational use and my use. It would make things easier than trying to serve two separate use cases.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Missing features are integration with Outlook, templates, quicknotes, print to OneNote from other apps, Dock to window, insert symbols.
        This must come to OneNote for Windows 10

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with a lot of the concerns about the "new" OneNote vs OneNote 2016. The 2016 version, although far from being as good as it could be, was a serious tool for the workplace - integration with Outlook tasks, ability to send email from OL to ON via a tool bar button, integration with Lens, 3rd party addons etc. All that I've read about the "new" ON reflects significant feature attrition, rendering it questionnable for business use. Why would Microsoft choose to alienate such a broad (and likely lucrative) user base ? Outlook for Android was a bad decision since it locks up email and contacts in a hermetic MS black box while dropping key features (contact management, tasks). It looks like MS are planning to repeat that recipe with the "new" Onenote instead of heeding the uservoice... very disappointing.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring back the classic Interface. Perfect usability, left book, top section, right pages!!!!! What's wrong with that? Why changing a perfect interface...the new one is ugly and by far not so fast in use!!!!! Bring back the classic interface!!!!!

• Patrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree completely with RCP. OneNote for Win 10 is evidently tablet-oriented. I use OneNote 2016 everyday and intensively for academic research on a workstation with a 17" screen. I don't need a tablet or phone display. I miss the tabs on top and the pages on the right. I miss the complete, detailed menus on the ribbon.
        The only improvement of OneNote over OneNote 2016 is the search capability. As I signaled years ago the old OneNote search was flawed, incapable to find a character string between dashes. I understood at that time that it had to do with the way the program was written (Word was able to find such strings).
        The next version of OneNote should include customization features for serious users who have a desktop computer or a large laptop, with a wide screen, and don't care about gimmicks for smartphone users.
        For the time being, even with its search limitations, I'll continue to use OneNote 2016.

This is a shockingly bad move by Microsoft. We run our business on OneNote 2016, synced via Office 365. It's a fantastic app.

The functionality of OneNote for Windows 10 is terrible, not least the absence of templates and lack of integration with Outlook 2016.

• Dennis-L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish to express my disappointment with the announcement of the direction Microsoft is taking with OneNote. This all sounds too familiar when the end of a good thing (OneNote in its current state) is imminent. The enthusiasm and language is deceptively positive, but the content of what is being discussed sounds sadly discouraging. It is inevitable that everyone wants everything "in the cloud" - encouraging customers to utilize the internet for data storage is one thing, but removing the ability to save data on local drives is silly. You've got a fantastic product! Keep offering MORE options, and don't head down that road forcing everyone to be completely dependent on the cloud. There are a number of viable competitors that are utilizing both options successfully. With this announcement, I am already on the lookout for replacing OneNote, since the future of this once great application is questionable in my opinion. I truly hope you listen to the community for suggestions, and in the end deliver a product that is the best both for Microsoft AND the users/community.

• Timothy Carroll commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I used the UWP OneNote in the past and it was lacking, but I decided to give it a fair shake with the new announcement. All I can say is that it's still a lacking app. You made it look prettier, but I can't even open my local OneNote notebooks. LOL, how on earth could it be missing the single most important feature it needs?

Add to that the fact that it only supports maybe 25% of the features of OneNote 2016, including a one-click screenshot and not a SINGLE advanced feature, no plugin support, this is the most boneheaded decision by Microsoft since the debacle of Vista.

• Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've already commented in this thread.

I've been attempting to use OneNote UWP, and it is just too difficult. The navigation needs a very serious modern update. It is horrendous, and next to unusable in present state. It shouldn't take 3, 4, or 5 clicks to move around. The constant shifting back to main notebook just to get to a nearby page is insane.

Take a look at Samsung S-note for a very easy and intuitive method of navigation. I'd be beyond thrilled if this were adopted for OneNote. (the older S-Note version->they also trashed a very good product in favor of a dumbed down/useless replacement they named "Samsung Notes")

Please address navigation issues. I haven't looked, but I'm sure there is plenty of feedback about the need to make it much more user friendly.

• Antonio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please Microsoft, reconsider your decision. We need full OneNote Desktop functionality: Outlook integration, multiple windows, versatile view configuration, local storage (What's the point of eliminating it?), massive usage of keyboard shortcuts, flawless usage. In general all of those features that made many of us abandon Evernote (that, overall, is a great product --in some aspects better than OneNote, IMO--) and substitute for OneNote.

• CG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am completely against removing the 2016 One Note and replacing it with the UWP version. There is NOT feature parity and also the interfaces are not even close to the same as each other. While i'm sure there's a back-end reason for wanting to change, I find this is the #2 piece of Microsoft software which I use most often. #1 being Outlook. I embed all types of files and pictures and text and cannot use the software the same way as i'd like if I use the UWP version. Additionally, simply the lack of a "Take Screenshot" button is reason enough for me to NEVER use the UWP version as long as I have the 2016 version available. I simply use the function every single day and "taking a snip" or a screenshot in some other fashion just isn't efficient.

Please reconsider.

• St.Su. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

actually the app is not good/sufficient enough to work with. Features like editing embedded Excel files, email page, tag search, ink to math, etc. are missing but actually, these are the great features, which made OneNote so useful and powerful for collaborational work. Please add them to the app as soon as possible if you are going to deprecate OneNote for Office.

• NK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Desktop version of Onenote is one of the most popular and well-featured applications in the Office suite. It does not make sense to deprecate it in favor of the UWP version for desktop use, given that there is no feature parity. This is not a one-off opinion and many others are echoing it. Please revisit the decision and retain desktop Onenote as a first-class citizen in the upcoming Office upgrades.

The current windows 10 onenote app is insuffiecient for me as a note taking app.

It is however in my opinon better than the desktop app for some situations such as for reading the notes, using touchscreen, and drawing with a stylus.

The desktop version for me is in most cases better for making notes. Which is very important in a note app. Most of my time using onenote I use a mouse and keyboard with 2 monitors with the desktop version.

Please only move to one app if you can keep all the desktop features and views, such as having a touchscreen mode and a desktop mode.

• VARADHARAJAN K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

release the standardalone onenote 2019 at free of cost for all the windows 7 , 8.1 and 10 users . most of the students studying in government colleges and government schools are not enrolled in Microsoft education , because they government schools and college are not able to pay the subscription as a result so many intelligent poor students are not able to get with school email id.
        so I am requesting to Microsoft to provide onenote application at free of cost using with gmail or yahoo or rediff or outlook email ids

• C. Yusuf Mumtaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about making custom tags and section groups? This isn't in the Windows 10 app. Is there also video embed?

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, totally. And revise it to OneNote 2019 with updated features.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base