How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Include OneNote for Desktop in Office 2019

I really like the desktop lay-out with notebooks on the left, sections on top and pages on the right. I tried the UWP version, and while perfectly suited for use on a tablet (with a reduced number of - bigger - buttons), I feel it misses too many features to replace the desktop version.

So please include OneNote in the new Office 2019 suite!

1,897 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

RCP shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

354 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mazylan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

UWP maybe the future. But till MS fixes their OneNote UWP app, with the functionality that the OneNote 2016 desktop version has, development on it should not stop!!

Software in general continues to evolve and get more stable as the years go by, but for some reason its also getting really dumbed down. Features are being removed rather than being added. Case in point is OneNote for Windows 10.

And on a another note, NOT everything is about the cloud, not everything is about touch enabled devices. Some of us like local storage and a keyboard and mouse to work with. And its for the same reasons, that the paper and pencil are still around.

Hope MS reconsiders the discontinuation of OneNote 2016, until the UWP version of OneNote is at par with it.

• Timothy Carroll commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneNote 2016 may not be going away yet, but it's no longer being developed and the Win10 version is terrible. The Office OneNote should be the only version developed going forward. It has more features, is already touch friendly, works on all display sizes, allows plug-ins, local file notes, excellent pen support, all manner of embedding and integration with many other products. It's simply superior in every way. The Win10 OneNote is only really good for taking notes in college. It has none of the business features that business customers have been paying through the nose for all these years.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The UWP version does not cut it. Please reverse course and let us keep our desktop OneNote. Not everything should be an app.

• Soren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The OneNote version in Windows 10 is next to useless. We can only hope they will continue maintaining OneNote 2016.

• JC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For anyone who hasn't seen it, there is a change.org petition for this running at:

https://chn.ge/2jlfmzq

I would also urge anybody who has colleagues and customers who are affected to ask each and every one of them to post individually here and sign the above petition. We want the maximum possible indication to Microsoft that they need to continue with the proper version of OneNote.

You and they can also post here:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365-Blog/The-best-version-of-OneNote-on-Windows/bc-p/189064

• Dominique GEORGES commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please go back to OneNote 2016 (the best version ever), that new 2019 version being the worst !

The guy who decided and approved to remove all the good features of OneNote 2016 (which made OneNote 2016 the best companion ever) should simply be fired !

I'm now looking for a valid, stable and long term alternative.

I'm totally disapointed, as all my customers are !

• Andrew Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Verge reported that Microsoft is ditching active development of Office UWP apps in favour of Android/iOS and Win32. Finally someone is starting to see sense! We never wanted cut-down, trivialised phone apps on our computers. Does that mean perhaps that you can get back to developing a proper OneNote 2019 ... with support for local files as well as online files? PLEASE!

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just wasted time and money upgrading from Office 2016 to 2019 because I can't use OneNote desktop. Very frustrating! Its obviously about revenue. I'll have to uninstall and reinstall 2016 because I depend on Onenote so much every day. Its a great program for someone like me who was so unorganized. Shame on you microsoft!

• ronnie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would anyone at Microsoft attempt to not allow users to save excel files, word docs, or powerpoint files, database files, rich text documents, wherever the user wants? Forcing onenote users to subscribe to and use the Microsoft cloud ecosystem is selfish, ignorant, and stupid. Until you commit to allowing the use of local onenote files and the ability to export them again, I will begin looking for alternative tools, and will ACTIVELY petition against ANYONE using onenote, or office 365. OneNote is one of the main reasons I still have an office 365 subscription, and I am close to dropping it like a hot potato. The audacity and hubris you have shown towards the rights of the consumer regarding where their data lives is extraordinarily obtuse and shortsighted. Please, tell the community how your policy of only storing user data in the cloud is compliant in any way shape or form with GDPR, or any of the other security and privacy laws that are currently in process?. Good day sir, I SAID GOOD DAY. (ps, do not reply that I can still use the 2016 version - you are insulting my intelligence on top of the personal injury you have already caused me - absolutely ridiculous.)

• Ivan Vasilev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just purchased MS Office 2019. It was a really big disappointment to see MS forcing the users to use OneNone with cloud only!!!
        I want to see the ability to use, create, and store notebooks locally as it was in Ofiice 2016 and back. … from the other side … Thank you Microsoft for pushing me to learn Linux. (I mean it)

• Bob Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see the ability to use, create, and store notebooks locally, even if it was a paid feature as part of an Office 365 subscription.

• Ray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a shame that the software install page doesn't mention this, nor provide the link to the page where you can download it. Seems a miss to not put the info there, as I ended up searching the web to find out why it didn't install

• Joel Fannin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've used OneNote for years, going back to 2003. For a long time OneNote was consistent and reliable.Now that Microsoft has picked up on development, you guys are turning it into something unreliable. The Win 10 app is glitchy and the layout and aesthetics is not nice like the desktop app is.Poor decision making all around.

• Simon Hudson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To be clear; you have taken it away. It has been summarily removed from the Pro Plus installation (even though no one thought to update the documentation on the O365 site to actual mention that. It clearly states that the desktop version will be installed - that was a waste of 2 hours of our time trying to work out why it wasn't appearing on new builds).
        There is no signposting to install it separately either.

I'm fine with using the app when it has something approaching feature parity. Given that there are TWO WHOLE MENUS absent from the app, you have to think that maybe it isn't there yet.
        By all means encourage use of the app version and continue to develop it - but removing the desktop installation from Pro Plus etc is really poorly considered, frustrating and an actual waste of time. This is not consistent with teh MS brand and harks back to the paternalistic/draconian Balmer days that we all thought we had evolved beyond.

Grrr… really, really frustrated

• Tino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe we should twitter our headaches that MS is creating us as long as there is no feature parity between App and OneNote2016:
        @msonenote
        @mtholfsen

There are other users than just education.....

• Tino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The still present extreme lack of features of the OneNote App is unbearable to me. Outlook integration is nowhere near what OneNote 2016 used to be. I do not need tons of different Colours, but an easy possibility to create Outlook tasks (just as an example)

• PeterCar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great, so now I have to install it separately, rather than as part of Office 2019. Retro customer service...

• Kannan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The features in OneNote 2016 are so much more robust compared to OneNote for Windows. OneNote for Windows is so much watered down basic version of OneNote. Even if you just purely maintained OneNote 2016 as is for 2019 that would be great! No new features needed - awesome as it is. But OneNote for Windows is missing too many features - just one look at the ribbon and you can see everything that is missing - it looks like the free version of OneNote for Tablets and Mobile phones and not like an enterprise paid application like OneNote for PCs.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18

Feedback and Knowledge Base