How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Include OneNote for Desktop in Office 2019

I really like the desktop lay-out with notebooks on the left, sections on top and pages on the right. I tried the UWP version, and while perfectly suited for use on a tablet (with a reduced number of - bigger - buttons), I feel it misses too many features to replace the desktop version.

So please include OneNote in the new Office 2019 suite!

1,307 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

RCP shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

231 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Duffield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to be able to import and export .one files locally is absolutely essential for enterprises who cannot work in the cloud. Please include this feature in OneNote UWP.

• Nate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my voice to the others. I heavily rely on the full feature set of OneNote 2016 on a daily basis. Using the much less robust UWP version would be a huge step in the wrong direction! Please consider updating the OneNote desktop version to 2019 or adding it's features to the UWP version!

• Ray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please keep this application in development as a DESKTOP tool! The app/online experience is lacking so many features and so much extensibility that I've included in my workflow for over 15 years in using MS Office. Why break a winning tool?

• C. Yusuf Mumtaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to propose the following for the Windows 10 app:

- add the following tags: read and view; this is useful for referring or linking to reading or viewing materials; great for contextualizing notes. Take other suggestions from users, but try to avoid too many.

- Page level hashtags: exactly how Evernote does it; this will minimize the needs for inline tags and will improve organization and searching.

- Inserting Excel Spreadsheets and Visio diagrams: this is missing in the Windows 10 app;

- I'm assuming video files can be added with the "File" button;

- Are the history features available in the W10 app?

- Improved integration with Outlook and Microsoft To-Do

- Local Saves (I hardly use it anymore but it would be an option for very confidential materials)

- Adding all the features of OneTastic as basic features of OneNote

- The layout is smoother and more readable in the W10 app

• Cindy Vasey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And why are you removing all the best integration features with Outlook? You're making OneNote more of a toy with all the drawing features and far less of a business application by removing very useful features like reciprocal tasks between OneNote & Outlook. Do not take things away - just add new stuff. You guys make things so much harder than necessary sometimes.

• Cindy Vasey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You CANNOT take away our ability to keep things off the Cloud!! Seriously. Not all of like our files off our desktop machines because not all of us like the Cloud you know.

• Hal Sclater commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes this is pretty terrible that new features are not being introduced in Onenote 2016, we pay for Office 365 ProPlus, and Microsoft are introducing new ink capabilities into other applications and not Onenote 2016, which is what all of our users use for taking notes.

We don't let anyone install anything from the store, so this is going to be a big issue. Additionally some machines are on LTSC which doesn't even include the Windows Store, so eventually they won't be able to use Onenote at all.

Additionally Onenote from the store is missing many important features e.g. Outlook integration and templates, so won't be a suitable replacement.

Since we have to keep updating Office365 ProPlus in order to connect to Office 365 (for email etc), eventually no one will have Onenote at all, which is great considering that we just rolled out Windows Tablet devices with a stylus. Thanks.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Admin,

You talked about top themes - Add-ons & Onetastic support.
        What is your take on it ?
        Are you going to allow add-ons & Onetastic in Onenote App ?

• Patrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To the OneNoteTeam:

-Thanks for the reassurance OneNote 2016 is not going away. But it's a shame it won't be updated in the future (except for bugs and security issues, after what I understand). The question is: will it be compatible with Windows forever (there will be a Windows 11 someday)?

-Since Microsoft has decided to make (Win 10) OneNote its new product, the best solution would be to add all the features of ON 2016 to ON. I read the suggested page https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365-Blog/The-best-version-of-OneNote-on-Windows/ba-p/183974 and was glad to hear that many features have already been added to ON.
        However, I still miss in the new ON:
        -the full ribbon menus
        -the pull-down menu (notebooks) and the navigation tabs (section) on top of the screen. It's much more convenient than the new "hide-and-show" (or "hide-and-seek"?) navigation on the left.

I quite understand that Microsoft is adapting to smartphones and tablets, but desktops and laptops are not going away, and OneNote 2016 is really an outstanding tool for serious work on traditional computers

I prefer the desktop version over the web version. (Both the PC and MAC versions are great.) The current version is fine, but please add better code syntax highlighting. (Something you see when looking at code on webpages.)

To the Admin response you didn't address the constantly requested feature in Onenote 2016 not in the UWP version:

-Page Sizes
        -Page Templates

These are must for all industries and even students where print outs are required for submissions.

I need to have local OneNote storage for data compliance! I love OneNote, but if the new version will be cloud sync only, I'll have to abandon it and look for an alternative. :-(

• Marcus Giles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The "Modern" version is *crippled* v's the Desktop version.
        Even stuff as simple as drawing circles on images then moving them around.. the Desktop version will let you position it anywhere you like... the Modern version "snaps to a grid" but if you need the circle a few mm to the left, TOO BAD its .5cm left or right. live with it .

so very frustrating!

• Timo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneNote as a fully functional desktop application is a vital part of daily office work. We really need offline functionality and storage on own file servers as well as the option to backup the data locally. Internet and Cloud access is not always available.

Microsoft seems to be aware of the issues with the UWP, so keep OneNote available as a fully supported and updated standalone Software.

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

App needs to support local backup and local notebooks. If only supporting online notebooks then needs to be able to convert old 2003 onenote originated (that have been up converted over the years) with files that were stored outside the .one file back then. Also integration with Outlook is very important.

There must be full offline functionality or it will be far less useful to me. Please keep it as a standalone program! If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

Feedback and Knowledge Base