How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Bring back the "Copy link to paragraph" functionality in OneNote for Windows 10

OneNote 2016 has the feature to copy the link to the choosen paragraph. I use this feature a lot. Please also add this functionality in the OneNote App for Windows 10.

48 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Simon D. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Completed  ·  AdminOneNote Team (Admin, OneNote Team) responded  · 

We are pleased to let you know that Copying Link to Paragraphs is now available as of the September update. Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

For more details on how to use this feature, please reference the following article:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-links-to-notebooks-sections-pages-and-paragraphs-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-48dd0e82-623c-405d-b63a-df4eaf55c72a?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi dear OneNote team.
        Firstly Id like to thank you for making a free Windows 10 app.
        I am often using links in my notes. And after a while i have noted that there are two ways of using Copy Link to Paragraph:
        1 method: Select a paragraph and right click > Copy Link to Paragraph.
        Then more the cursor to where you cant to paste the Link. Upon pressing Paste, it will paste a link within the same text that i had selected. To edit this text, i have to go Right click > Link > Edit Link > Edit display text.
        This method is not comfortable because i need to edit the text afterwards.
        The second method that i did find out by myself:
        2 Method. Write a word, in which i want to insert a link. Go to the paragraph. Select it > Right Click > Copy Link to Paragraph.
        Go to the written word back, select it and in the Menu up top Insert>Link. Paste the Link. And the Pasted Link is a Link to a OneDrive document. 

How can this be possible if in both methods I do the same thing which is > Right Click > Copy Link to Paragraph. 
        In method 1 the link looks like this > onenote:#OneNote%......
        In the 2 method the link looks like this > https://onedrive.live.com/edit.aspx/.........

It would be very usefull if i could just insert a link in an already written word, instead of editing the copies before text.
        Thanks.

• Brenda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to share just one page WITHOUT any workaraounds, across all platforms. share a section if needed as read only or editable document.
        There's no reason why you can choose what you share and other programs already have this functionality.

• Stu D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rather than sending someone a link that allows them to see the entirety of my work in a notebook, create a simple link to send to people that will allow them to view a single page, without being able to navigate to other pages or sections. This link must allow the recipitent to see the latest, or live, version; allowing me to update it after having sent the link and for them to see those changes

This will allow me to, for example, send my family a christmas list, or send a friend notes on a specific study topic.
        This feature will be best with a default read-only option

• Deborah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wholeheartedly agree. I wish for this practically every day that I use OneNote, which is every day :). I kludge it by going to the place I want to jump to (my Heading 1's), select, right click, "copy link to paragraph" and then I past that somewhere at the top of the page. But that is such a nonsense waste of time when the functionality exists in word, so it should exist in OneNote, which is about *organizing*. (the collapsing and easily moving a section is just as important, like in Word's Navigation pane). I've even tried exporting a page of notes I wanted to organize to word, to do the rearranging easily, then copy/paste back to OneNote, but ON interprets the checkboxes as pictures, so you unintentionally create more work for yourself.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Onenote is a great tool and I really do like it but a navigation panel for headings like word would be so useful - I end up using both onenote and word for its nav panel for my documents and it's really getting exhausting. @developers PLEASE INCLUDE THIS I LOVE YOU.

• Trent Koessler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely agree, this has been the greatest barrier to me using OneNote over Word and the reason I moved away from Evernote (which has no easy hierarchical organisation). Management of hierarchies of data and pages should be OneNote's strong point and the solution is simple: just allow collapsible headings with many different levels in each PAGE, as in Word.

For the very large pages I work with (300+ pages in Word organised around topics, split into sub-topics in OneNote) I need some kind of navigation pane with navigable subheadings of at least 5 levels. Currently a lot of people are using tags to accomplish this but tag navigation requires manual updating and reading through the whole list of tags before arriving at the one I need. For example, although I'm a fan of the freeform style of OneNote there's no way that I could use it to systematically organise very complex topics like Chemistry --> Organic chemistry --> Different subfields of organic chemistry --> specific reactions (ideally on the same page as other reactions)

The same applies for pages. If pages had different levels I wouldn't need to read through 20+ to get to the correct ones and formatting would be a breeze. Ideally I would be able to offset pages and group in terms of relevance.

• IanF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You could try using a file url "file://./myLinkedFile", but the way OneNote handles these relative urls isn't consistent. I'd like to see an answer to this from Microsoft, however, I don't expect one.

I think that OneNote's more obvious directory structure is one way it differentiates itself from Evernote, but perhaps Microsoft don't want it to be so easy now that everything is being pushed to the cloud. I like the way all my notes are self contained in a folder structure. They're portable without having to rely on syncing to the cloud.

• Joe Shuster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Problem:
        Big pages are tough to navigate. I.e. I want to jump to some place in the middle of a big OneNote page. I don't want to scroll a lot and I don't want to split up a page into separate pages just to have quick navigation.

Idea:
        find a way to quickly move to predefined places in the page.

Options:
        Mimic MS Word Table of Contents link to style headers. Or, if not Table of Contents, allow hyperlinks (ctrl k) to link to styles or bookmarks. Or, simply create a nav panel (like MS Word) for Style Headers.

• Cornelius vd Westhuizen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have asked and search for a solution to relative links within OneNote and it seems like a need from various people due to multiple storage devices/servers linkages. To sketch my requirement see below:

The hyperlink was created linked to Presentation as "\\drive.xxx.co.za\WorkSpace\Presentation1.pptx" (Ctrl-k) and the NoteBook Section was also saved in "\\drive.xxx.co.za\WorkSpace\New Section 1.one"

These files then get synchronized to multiple users' hard drives i.e. "C:\Users\YYY\WorkSpace\Presentation1.pptx" and "C:\Users\YYY\WorkSpace\New Section 1.one". Unfortunately the Hyperlink still shows as "File///\\drive.xxx.co.za\WorkSpace\Presentation1.pptx".

Note: These multiple users do not have direct access to the server "\\drive.xxx.co.za\WorkSpace\" because after they have synchronized their files from the server to their hard disks, they work offline.

In other Microsoft application if you do create a hyperlink (Relative Link) as "file:..\WorkSpace\Presentation1.pptx" the synchronized file on the users hard drive will be opened.

I know you can create a "direct hyperlink" without using (Ctrl-k) i.e. "file:..\WorkSpace\Presentation1.pptx" but with multiple subdirectories the link just become to long and difficult to change/update. I still want just to have Presentation as the single reference but with an embedded "relative link" behind it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base