How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

[BUG] 32-bit click-2-run installs wrong version of search filter ONFILTER.DLL on 64-bit o/s

As documented on answer.microsoft.com:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote-mso_win10/onenote-2016-index-location-unavailable-search/d78e7999-511f-4f78-b0ad-3d2711f08435
Click2Run has been installing the wrong version of onfilter.dll for some time now, for anyone installing 32bit OneNote on 64-bit windows. The installer is putting the 32-bit version (filesize 395,464 bytes) in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\VFS\ProgramFilesX64\Microsoft Office\Office16 where the 64-bit version is required (file size 464,072 bytes) Both refer to 0365 16.0.8229.2045. Manually installing the correct version gets undone regularly by C2R maintenance jobs.
Consequence of installer bug is that Windows cannot index / update index for OneNote content, resulting in slow searches from within OneNote.
It would be great if you could fix this. It would also be great to have a less frustrating way of reporting reproducible bugs for attention, especially when I've gone to the trouble of diagnosing the fault.

8 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

m0bley shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • m0bley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you're not seeing it yet, force an update to your office install: e.g. in OneNote, File, Account, Office Updates, Update Now

Fixed as at end July 17 by office build 8326, let's hope it stays that way!

• Sue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have found the slowness of searching to be a major issue. I work around it only by searching in a segment of the complete database (in one notebook or section). I hope Microsoft is doing something about it.

• DHD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And m0bley, major props for the original writeup on the community forums. It was invaluable in quickly diagnosing the problem and getting a workaround in place.

As a paying customer I thought I'd have some legit feedback / service channel, but the only option I could find via Admin portal was to request a call back. Apart from the possible novelty value or receiving a call from a "Microsoft engineer" who actually works for Microsoft, that route didn't seem likely to be a productive experience. Thanks for trying DHD, let's see if your efforts yield any sort of result. Will be sure to update my posting on here, on TechNet and on answers if there is any progress.

• DHD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've submitted tickets via O365 Admin tool and they've said that support is only for installation and activation. They offered paid support at $500 per incident to get support for this issue.

I actually got someone on the phone who seemed genuinely interested and promised to try to recreate the behavior on his test machine so he could report it -- never heard from them again.

I don't have any better ways to get their attention for this incredibly frustrating issue. I'm playing the waiting game and checking release notes for each build as it comes out.

Feedback and Knowledge Base