How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

tags

Working for years with Evernote I am missing some features.

1. Multi-Tags
2. Synchronisation / import tags from Outlook.
3. Easy import tags from Evernote

In this order! !

And thumbs up for all other ideas around tags here!!!

235 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

klausMS shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Gathering feedback  ·  AdminOneNote Team (Admin, OneNote Team) responded  · 

Thank you for voting on this feature. I’d like to gather more information on what you would like to see in the future. I have posted 4 questions below —

1. How often do you tag a note/item with multiple tags?
    a) Never
    b) Rarely
    c) Sometimes
    d) Often
    e) Always

2. Can you provide an example, from a recent instance, in which you applied multiple tags? e.g. “todo” & “critical” and “todo” & “important”

3. Some of you commented that it’s important to see all the tags for each item in the summary list, not just the first tag for an item. If multiple tags were shown for each item on the summary list, what would this allow you to do next?

4. When finding tags in OneNote 2016, which tag list is most important to you? Why?
    a) Summary Page
    b) Tags Summary Pane

38 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for voting on this feature. I’d like to gather more information on what you would like to see in the future. I have posted 4 questions below —

1. How often do you tag a note/item with multiple tags?

e) always

2. Can you provide an example, from a recent instance, in which you applied multiple tags? Too frequent to list I use them to cross reference from multiple points of for indexing purposes
        3. Some of you commented that it’s important to see all the tags for each item in the summary list, not just the first tag for an item. If multiple tags were shown for each item on the summary list, what would this allow you to do next?see all the subjects this note valuable for and gain context

4. When finding tags in OneNote 2016, which tag list is most important to you? Why?
        a) Summary Page
        b) Tags Summary Paneboth

• Iñaki Elcoro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As it stands now, tags in Onenote 2016 are completely broken. More so, given that Onenote for Windows does not support tags.

Please look at Evernote on how to do it, tags show everywhere, in note listings, in note header, you can search by all notes by a given tag, or npotes that match multiple tags.

You cannot create a GTD system without that, or create a metadata system to find notes by other dimensions like contact name, client...

my response:

1. d
        2. Do this all the time. Need to respond to customer. have tagged several notes from conference call each with different priorities and timing.
        3. I thought you already see all the tags. I can tag the same hand written note with a todo tag, and an outlook todo task and they will both show? I thought this functionality already existed.
        4. Outlook Task and todo tasks should really sync so we can visibility to everything that's that we are working on in the summary page. that would be awesome if we could see that integration between outlook 2016 tags (todo tasks) and One Note 2016 tags.

• Randy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Before we talk about AI and holograms that will help me repair my motorcycle on the side of the road, I would really like some software that works for me instead of software that makes me work so hard for it. Outlook does a lot of things really well, but all of my work flows and preferences have to be customized to Outlook's structures. Now, add OneNote - and a whole other way of working and organization needs to be developed and adapted. It takes a lot of work to manage any sort of categorization or tagging effort - especially if an item is multifaceted. I find that my categorization in Outlook works really well - when I can see everything that is categorized versus everything that isn't categorized. Seeing al items at once also allows me to "audit" my entries to be sure that all are correctly categorized. Yes, I have multiple categories assigned to a single contact or a single email and the same sort of functionality would be really useful in OneNote. The same level of flexibility and customization - and capacity - within the Outlook category functionality would be really helpful in OneNote - especially because it is really hard to find something in OneNote. (Early on, I reached the maximum number of custom tags available in OneNote and so moved away from using tags altogether as I knew they would be too limited in number. I'm trying to find a way to "code" my OneNote pages to match my Outlook categories to match my document names. Pretty challenging!

• AKasten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How often do you tag a note/item with multiple tags?
        Always -The tagging system in OneNote 2016 has become an indispensable part of my organizing system -along with the customized tag option. Most of the tags I use are customized and this flexibility is important to me. I want to switch entirely to the new version of OneNote but I won't be able to without this feature.

2. Can you provide an example, from a recent instance, in which you applied multiple tags? e.g. “todo” & “critical” and “todo” & “important”
        I use tags to categorize todo items and how complete they are. I tried using the check boxes with icons but I did not like that system -I ended up creating too many separate tags and it was messy. I use the color coded checkboxes to categorize task priority, then I use different icons to indicate status like if it is in-progress, draft sent/waiting for feedback, 2nd revisions. I also use the icons as a visual reference for what the item is in a list -Video, post, featured item, campaign.

3. Some of you commented that it’s important to see all the tags for each item in the summary list, not just the first tag for an item. If multiple tags were shown for each item on the summary list, what would this allow you to do next?
        I need to see all of my tags on an item by default. I use the tags to indicate different things along with progress/priority. I continually update the tags as task status changes. If I can't see all of my tags (max of 3) then the feature is not usefull to me and will only be used for the checkboxes.
        Tags Summary Pane is the one I use most often but either would be fine. I just need to see all of my tags in 1 place sorted by Tag Name or Section -I don't use the other sorting options.

• JK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. Always

2. To designate next item, how much time they require and how much focus they require. Examples: Todo + Quick, Todo + Medium, Todo + Long, FocusHigh + Long, FocusLow + Medium

3. If I'm using tags to designate both how long an item will take (e.g. Quick) and how much focus it will require (e.g. FocusHigh), it is helpful to see both side by side so I can visually search out todo items that fit the present situation. Example: scan tag summary pane for side-by-side Quick and FocusHigh tags.

4. Tags Summary Pane - for the refresh functionality. The summary page just duplicates my todo list, but doesn't update when I check the items off on their original pages.

• Sandro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1.) ALWAYS. Think about gathering ideas or developing concepts. One idea / concept could be relevant in multiple contexts.
        2.) Makes search easier like in evernote
        4.) b)

• yw71 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1 - d
        2 - any tag that I can make - to my own critiria
        3 - allow me to search all the tags I added & add them to a list
        4 - b

• Florian F. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tag is necessary for me, too!
        I would use it always.
        I would use to to reduce the number of sections -> more transparence

• Aaron Marks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1) Often
        2) Tags should be able to be assigned to Sections and Pages. Tags in OneNote today are a completely different concept than tags in Evernote. Tags in Evernote are like Labels in Gmail or Categories in Outlook.
        3) Showing multiple tags in the Summary list would allow us to quickly see all the Pages and/or Sections that are assigned a Tag.
        4) B - Tags Summary Pane

I tag all my notes with full text #*** tags so the two things i am lacking at the end of the day. : 1) a search / replace when i want to update my tags 2/ something like a PAD area to display or not my block of tags 3/ inheritance of tags for the notes that are at a lower level or for tags that i would create for a section with all its note having the section's tags too to avoid copying it manually

• ZW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is how i work with tags
        I have come up my own way of tagging
        If an article about solving an Windows error is something i clipped to Onenote
        I would tag Gathered info, this helps me construct a list if in any emergency situation, i lost all the data and i need to regather all of them
        I would then tag it with Solution to Error. This generates me a list of articles that is all about solving an issue.
        I would then tag it with @Windows, if i search both tags " solution to error " and " @ windows ", i can get a full list about solutions to different errors about windows
        At the same time, i will tag with @Windows + its version, if it is a version that is no longer in use, i can straightly add that version to merge with the obsolete tag.
        This is not something what Microsoft should have delayed for years. Because seriously, categorizing, folders are old nowadays, i would like to see an operating system or working environment that has tagging as the mainframe structure because categorizing not only limits the ability to expand information, but also ability to re-propose useful content instead of displacing or duplicating them

• Joel Fannin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this feature request still sitting in the "gathering feedback" status still? This is why I've moved to Evernote. OneNote development on this is slow to nil and Evernote is much more integrated.

This is also to say that i use tags the Twitter way eg in full text while i take notes and on that i look the pure simple design of the new OneNote with space totally dedicated to notes. In search it is lacking a group by though

Example of search i miss
        #gFRA #xBNK groupedby #g

Meaning search for operations about banks and France and make groups for each tag starting by #g which means group it by countries. That way i could see operations aboit France (#gFRA) for example involving Germany #gDEU or Spain #gESP This is jus to say that it can go further than just clicking on a tag ....

Example of tagging i use
        Header | #oN #17-1103 #xBNK #pTOTO-J #gFRA #DB-DEU #dd1125
        Source | #lERNS-P
        Links | #BNP

Meaning note about Deutsche Bank Germany about file BNK-1103 on operation started on nov 3rd with a due date on nov 25 linked with BNP on an affair problvided Mr Paul ERNSTON.

From that i can use each tag as a key to see similar operations or country or people or look at people or company notes that are in specific onenote files Companies, People, Knowledge, etc. Or search on dates etc.and all that would be easier with just click on tags or having add / replace when i want to rename a tag.

Ok i concede that i don't use OneNote for grocery lists ... And i created dedicated ObeNotes files for example for companies or people, using sections for A B C D grouping on the 1st letter as u would do with paper ...

Having a dictionary of the tags we use would simplify the maintenance to update tags (eample = relaxing #FR by #FRA for my ISO tag for France)

As i made a GTD on OneNote i use #pAAA as search tag to people #gAAAas searcg tag to countries places etc #xAAA as search tag etc. having in my pages a table with 3 rows = header / source / links so that i can quickly fin all what is related to the tags I am searching for

I just started addong 00 in the name pf my onenote files so that doing a quick search on 00 i can quickly switch to the opened one i am looking for on my mobile

• Janson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1) c
        2) Windows Client | Windows 10 | Deployment
        3) Showing all tags helps to then markup similar content in a similar way, and allows the easy browsing/navigation of tag groups (assuming they are clickable)
        4) b - convenience

As a general comment, tagging allows for the easy creation of 'virtual folder structure' a bit like search folders in Outlook. Rather than having to think too much of which folder to put a certain note, allowing the creation of a virtual folder based upon tag criteria would allow very useful, and dynamic workflows IMHO. Often I use Evernote (but would rather use OneNote) as a research tool for this purpose. Bringing all the notes back together into content sets easily by just specifying the relevant tags would be very useful.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base