How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

tags

Working for years with Evernote I am missing some features.

1. Multi-Tags
2. Synchronisation / import tags from Outlook.
3. Easy import tags from Evernote

In this order! !

And thumbs up for all other ideas around tags here!!!

169 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

klausMS shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Gathering feedback  ·  AdminOneNote Team (Admin, OneNote Team) responded  · 

Thank you for voting on this feature. I’d like to gather more information on what you would like to see in the future. I have posted 4 questions below —

1. How often do you tag a note/item with multiple tags?
    a) Never
    b) Rarely
    c) Sometimes
    d) Often
    e) Always

2. Can you provide an example, from a recent instance, in which you applied multiple tags? e.g. “todo” & “critical” and “todo” & “important”

3. Some of you commented that it’s important to see all the tags for each item in the summary list, not just the first tag for an item. If multiple tags were shown for each item on the summary list, what would this allow you to do next?

4. When finding tags in OneNote 2016, which tag list is most important to you? Why?
    a) Summary Page
    b) Tags Summary Pane

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joel Fannin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this feature request still sitting in the "gathering feedback" status still? This is why I've moved to Evernote. OneNote development on this is slow to nil and Evernote is much more integrated.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is also to say that i use tags the Twitter way eg in full text while i take notes and on that i look the pure simple design of the new OneNote with space totally dedicated to notes. In search it is lacking a group by though

Example of search i miss
        #gFRA #xBNK groupedby #g

Meaning search for operations about banks and France and make groups for each tag starting by #g which means group it by countries. That way i could see operations aboit France (#gFRA) for example involving Germany #gDEU or Spain #gESP This is jus to say that it can go further than just clicking on a tag ....

Example of tagging i use
        Header | #oN #17-1103 #xBNK #pTOTO-J #gFRA #DB-DEU #dd1125
        Source | #lERNS-P
        Links | #BNP

Meaning note about Deutsche Bank Germany about file BNK-1103 on operation started on nov 3rd with a due date on nov 25 linked with BNP on an affair problvided Mr Paul ERNSTON.

From that i can use each tag as a key to see similar operations or country or people or look at people or company notes that are in specific onenote files Companies, People, Knowledge, etc. Or search on dates etc.and all that would be easier with just click on tags or having add / replace when i want to rename a tag.

Ok i concede that i don't use OneNote for grocery lists ... And i created dedicated ObeNotes files for example for companies or people, using sections for A B C D grouping on the 1st letter as u would do with paper ...

Having a dictionary of the tags we use would simplify the maintenance to update tags (eample = relaxing #FR by #FRA for my ISO tag for France)

As i made a GTD on OneNote i use #pAAA as search tag to people #gAAAas searcg tag to countries places etc #xAAA as search tag etc. having in my pages a table with 3 rows = header / source / links so that i can quickly fin all what is related to the tags I am searching for

I just started addong 00 in the name pf my onenote files so that doing a quick search on 00 i can quickly switch to the opened one i am looking for on my mobile

• Janson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1) c
        2) Windows Client | Windows 10 | Deployment
        3) Showing all tags helps to then markup similar content in a similar way, and allows the easy browsing/navigation of tag groups (assuming they are clickable)
        4) b - convenience

As a general comment, tagging allows for the easy creation of 'virtual folder structure' a bit like search folders in Outlook. Rather than having to think too much of which folder to put a certain note, allowing the creation of a virtual folder based upon tag criteria would allow very useful, and dynamic workflows IMHO. Often I use Evernote (but would rather use OneNote) as a research tool for this purpose. Bringing all the notes back together into content sets easily by just specifying the relevant tags would be very useful.

• James Frey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

c) Sometimes

2. Can you provide an example, from a recent instance, in which you applied multiple tags? e.g. “todo” & “critical” and “todo” & “important”
        Vertical Market
        Sales Region

or
        Vertical Market
        wFredinAccounting

3. Some of you commented that it’s important to see all the tags for each item in the summary list, not just the first tag for an item. If multiple tags were shown for each item on the summary list, what would this allow you to do next?

4. When finding tags in OneNote 2016, which tag list is most important to you? Why?
        a) Summary Page
        b) Tags Summary Pane

Evernotes system is a good system IMHO.. and please add an easy and fast way to add tags directly in web clipper..

I replied to the feedback questions on another enhancement post. I'll just add here that synchronization with Outlook tasks will be very helpful. I do not use Evernote. I no longer remember why, only that when first exploring these two packages OneNote seemed much better.

• James Frey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a long-time Evernote user but migrated to OneNote... in general very happy on OneNote.

JF: d) Often

JF: Any time I'm tempted to copy the note into two sections is a good time for multiple tags.
        For instance I tag _at the page level_ by the type of content and by whom I was with and sometimes the event. #powerpointpix #wFred #TradeshowX2017. The primary sort would always be the section the note is in.

JF: I would like to add more tags, delete existing tags, search for other pages with the same tag

a) Summary Page
        b) Tags Summary Pane

JF: I'm not familiar with these.

1. b - but only because Tags were limited to the computer I created them on and would not propagate on other computers (like having a home computer and a work computer, or using both a computer and a phone - I use Windows Phone 10).
        2. I'm trying to migrate my journaling from a paper journal to OneNote. Being able to tag paragraphs in my OneNote journal with both a ToDo and a categorization or prioritization Tag would be helpful so that I could create a "query" of sorts to display only ToDo's for a particular secondary tag.
        3. Others have suggested using Evernote as a model for this - I agree. They seem to have a better handle on this, but OneNote can go a step further with strong integration with Outlook and maybe even with 3rd party apps. For example, Evernote works with Nozbe, but OneNote does not.
        4. I'm not familiar with the Create Summary Page - I just tried it out and I'm not exactly sure how I would use it yet. The Tags Summary Pane could be enhanced to support filtering and sorting by multiple tags, as the original request is indicating.

OneNote, to me, is far superior to Evernote in many ways, I used Evernote for over 6 years, and migrated everything to OneNote earlier this year. Once I knew everything had transferred successfully, I closed my Evernote account. Enhancements such as have been suggested in this forum can make OneNote more ubiquitous and universal across platforms.

1. e)

2. I use multiple tags every time on the many articles i clip for later research. And for general categorization of notes.
        3. Dont knoe exaclty what you mean, but seeing all tags on a glance is very important. Evernotes tag system is pretty descend in this regard
        4. The best would be a seperate and optional tag pane, with tags in treeview like Evernote.

Regarding tags, Evernote is a great example.. one of the few things where ON has not caught up.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for asking these questions!

1. Always
        2. I use tags to categorize articles that I write or that I clip from other sources. My tags include things like Author (e.g., "Mark Manson"), Source (e.g., "Reuters"), and topics (e.g., "Communication," "Technology," and "Innovation").
        3. Tags aren't even visible on the pages where they appear! That makes it hard to tag a given page - "Wait, did I tag the source yet? What topics did I choose so far?" And when searching, maybe I want all articles by "Author X" and on "Topic Y". Sometimes it's AND, sometimes it's OR.
        4. Tags summary pane - This is a dynamic process that can be changing as I'm using the search results. I might look for certain articles that I want to add a tag to, and then some more that I want to untag. I don't want some kind of static summary page that I have to keep updating.

Tags is one of the few areas where Evernote seriously outperforms OneNote, like in being able to nest tags. I almost left OneNote on this one issue alone. I highly recommend that you look at how they handle tagging and searching tags.

Please also look at these, because this is EXACTLY the sort of thing I want to be able to do in OneNote:
        https://michaelhyatt.com/evernote-tags.html
        https://byrslf.co/using-evernote-the-right-way-ef61f530d1ad

• Olli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,
        here are my answers:
        1- d) often
        2- #SharePoint #ListLibraries #JSLink and #Office365 #Administration #Search
        3- I would think that those tags are clickable (show me more items with this Tag)

• Salvador Ortiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add search for tagged notes on Onenote for windows 10 / web app and android app

It will be great is the tool for search and organize tagged notes could be integrated in Onenote app for windows 10, web and Android, not only for Onenote desktop version.

• Marcin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

modern app of onenote should have the same tags as desktop (and syncing between versions). As it is now, one cannot apply the same tags in modern as uses in desktop version what makes using modern app impractical

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base