How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

tags

Working for years with Evernote I am missing some features.

1. Multi-Tags
2. Synchronisation / import tags from Outlook.
3. Easy import tags from Evernote

In this order! !

And thumbs up for all other ideas around tags here!!!

280 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

klausMS shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Gathering feedback  ·  AdminOneNote Team (Admin, OneNote Team) responded  · 

Thank you for voting on this feature. I’d like to gather more information on what you would like to see in the future. I have posted 4 questions below —

1. How often do you tag a note/item with multiple tags?
    a) Never
    b) Rarely
    c) Sometimes
    d) Often
    e) Always

2. Can you provide an example, from a recent instance, in which you applied multiple tags? e.g. “todo” & “critical” and “todo” & “important”

3. Some of you commented that it’s important to see all the tags for each item in the summary list, not just the first tag for an item. If multiple tags were shown for each item on the summary list, what would this allow you to do next?

4. When finding tags in OneNote 2016, which tag list is most important to you? Why?
    a) Summary Page
    b) Tags Summary Pane

51 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. d/e
        2. I use customized tags to organize OneNote additionally nonlinear. Mainly I use tags to get a wiki style knowlege management system. I also use GTD-Methods for tasks.
        3. It would be an additional search option and a possibility to think nonlinear by help of OneNote.
        4. Both, but b is more important. It can stay open while surfing through OneNote.

As general comment: the insufficient tagging functionality (especially in UWP app!) is the biggest issue in OneNote. There should be much improved possibilities to attend and - even more important - manage tags to develop your tagging system dynamically in a smooth workflow. Right now, there is no efficiency. For example, when I want to change a tag I have to go every single page since modifications are not applied automatically to existing pages. No tagging of sites is also an issue (I have to mark the title and then attend a tag which is annoying). At least there should be a smart hashtag system like in Workflowy. But in my view Evernote's tagging system is gold standard (ConnectedText is maybe even better but a niche product and code based).
        However, I don't see why not to combine OneNote's hierarchical organization features and free form editor with a smart and handy tagging system. This would be the best of both worlds.
        Btw: I'm considering to switch back to Evernote. Just because of the tagging functionality. But I still hope Microsoft will bring smooth tagging functionality soon. Thanks a lot if it happens!

1, How often do you tag a note/item with multiple tags? Often, bordering to always

2, I'm trying to implement a GTD approach to life and want to be able to differentiate between a ToDo and a NextAction-item. I use ToDo's when I plan stuff, regadless of when this item is supposed to be done (gives me nice statistics), but choose/create a new NextAction-tag for each ToDo when this item is timed for completion. I can also use multiple tags to mark an important item that also would be a research item to be further clarified.

3. Showing just the first tag kind of defeats the purpose of tags, as it forces me to actively think about how and what I want to have the item be presented in the summary lists. I would want to just tag it up with appropriate tags and get on with my life, confident that I will find it whenever I need it. Don't force me to consume more energy in capture action/planning than I have to, I have enough on my plate just keeping on top of my own life.

4, Depends on what I'm doing. When I need to do a full review over all listed things to do, read, call, whatever the context, I'll use the Summary Page. When doing a quick find on what to do next, I'll use the Tags Summary Page.

5, I need more than 10 available keyboard shortcuts! Please please please make them as customizational as in Word/Evernote etc. This item is _the_ part that is annoying me most! If I could have a full color picker for tag backgrounds, like the full color picker for fonts already implemented, I'd consider this a nice bonus and be even happier :)

• Onenoteuser1111 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tags are a way to link notes from different sections and notebooks. It's very much needed and tehre are 1000 different ways how people use such tags

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I moved to OneNote probably 18 months ago and this was hard for me to get past. Here is how I worked previously.

1. 90% of the time

2. My sections are per customer, each note was per meeting. I used to tag things with topic "Remote Access", associated vendor "Cisco", and any relevant other contents, such as if the meeting added a network Diagram I would tag it with "diagram" so I would quickly know it contained a diagram.

3. As stated before, it would quickly give me a summary of what the meeting was about. If I'm looking for something specific within a set of notes, I can quickly see if it contains what I'm looking for without having to open up each note and search through it.

4. I'm indifferent, as long as I can quickly see a list of tags in the summary of the note.

I am an Evernote user considering moving to OneNote. I have thousands of notes in Evernote, and I use tags to organize them (so I can do multi-tag searches as needed.) Example would be show me all of the hotels in France that allow dogs (the tags would be Travel, Hotel, France and Dog) Have been playing with OneNote but seems it doesn't allow for tags, or for multi-tag searches. Any thoughts?

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please, for the love of all things holy, allow us to rename tags, like we can rename categories in Outlook, and have that take effect everywhere I have used that category/tag. I use categories in Outlook extensively, to the extent that I don't even file emails in folders anymore - but this is only viable if I can rename them. This is a huge omission in OneNote, and is the single blocker for me using OneNote much more extensively. In fact, it's so bad that right now, I actually take all my notes in Outlook as "draft" emails in rich text, rather than use OneNote. OneNote usage is really just limited to sketching. This omission is completely baffling to me given how it was done in Outlook. I couldn't agree more with the idea of having a shared Categories/Tags feature across Outlook and OneNote.

• Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

d) Often
        2. Can you provide an example, from a recent instance, in which you applied multiple tags? e.g. “todo” & “critical” and “todo” & “important”
        Tags for different people/teams I want to talk about this issue
        4. When finding tags in OneNote 2016, which tag list is most important to you? Why?
        b) Tags Summary Pane; this is a list of issues, I want to talk about with a specific person/team (name of the tag)

• Max commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the comment requesting for OneNote to have similar tag capabilities to Evernote's.

Thank you for voting on this feature. I’d like to gather more information on what you would like to see in the future. I have posted 4 questions below —

a) Never
        b) Rarely
        c) Sometimes
        d) Often
        e) Always

D: If you are referring to days - always,
        if you are referring to the actual tagged items, then often

1) Yes to the above example
        2) Often to categorize data. So for example I create large training programs that generate test questions across multiple topic section. For any given question I might have the following tags #TestQuestion #Level1 #Cardiology, or #TestQuestion #Level2 #Respiratory

I do the same for all my glossary items, teaching points, Frequently asked questions etc.

3. Some of you commented that it’s important to see all the tags for each item in the summary list, not just the first tag for an item. If multiple tags were shown for each item on the summary list, what would this allow you to do next?
        --> the importance for our use is that a single item would only show up once in the list, as opposed to multiple times. We usually currently use a third party tool which allows us to use "And" for multiple tags. Otherwise each of my test questions comes up multiple times.

a) Summary Page
        b) Tags Summary Pane

Both are important. If I had to choose one it would be the summary page. but the summary page is really only useful if I can
        1) improve the user interface of how to select multiple tags (I have too many tags to have to go hide 50 tags so I can see 1 tag)
        2) auto update the content

Note: I do prefer how the summary page displays currently compared to the third party tools which line the entire item which messes up the formatting.

Thanks for working on this.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing tags added to the UWP version, especially if it's true that the desktop app will be discontinued. I have built several businesses on that functionality and it's rather nervewracking to hear that my primary tool might be going away.

I think a useful extension of these questions would be for question 1 to also ask how often users think they would use multiple tags if they could be used in searches and listed in tag summaries. A useful extension of question 2 would be to also ask what users would like to do with multiple tags if the search functionality existed. I think the answers lie in what people use these functions for in other applications, for example, Mediawiki using its Semantic extension.

d) Often
        ... and I would do so always if I could search or list pages by multiple tags.

2. Can you provide an example, from a recent instance, in which you applied multiple tags?

"Active" (i.e. work in progress on the page, from a group of tags which include "Active", "Next", "Waiting", and "Dormant") + "Must" (from a group of tags which include "Must", "Should", "Could", and "Won't").

I currently have a OneNote notebook with the title "Workbench" for current work in progress. I find the tags I've described important to focus on priority pages with an orderly work flow, which is important as new pages proliferate.

It would be handy to see which pages are tagged with both "Must" and "Active", but it's easy enough to find them on the tag summary page.

This would enable selection of pages to work on which include a particular set of attributes. Like an SQL query but with perhaps some visual scanning of the list to find the pages with the required attributes. Once the pages with the required attributes are found, they could then be used to gather the information they contain, e.g. on a particular sub-topic, or further developed for a particular project relevant to those attributes.

a) Summary Page
        Because I can access it from my Android phone and tablet (although the links only work on PC). The summary page is also useful to rearrange manually into groups, hierarchies, and tables of links on a particular topic.

e) always

2. Can you provide an example, from a recent instance, in which you applied multiple tags? Too frequent to list I use them to cross reference from multiple points of for indexing purposes
        3. Some of you commented that it’s important to see all the tags for each item in the summary list, not just the first tag for an item. If multiple tags were shown for each item on the summary list, what would this allow you to do next?see all the subjects this note valuable for and gain context

a) Summary Page
        b) Tags Summary Paneboth

• Iñaki Elcoro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As it stands now, tags in Onenote 2016 are completely broken. More so, given that Onenote for Windows does not support tags.

Please look at Evernote on how to do it, tags show everywhere, in note listings, in note header, you can search by all notes by a given tag, or npotes that match multiple tags.

You cannot create a GTD system without that, or create a metadata system to find notes by other dimensions like contact name, client...

my response:

1. d
        2. Do this all the time. Need to respond to customer. have tagged several notes from conference call each with different priorities and timing.
        3. I thought you already see all the tags. I can tag the same hand written note with a todo tag, and an outlook todo task and they will both show? I thought this functionality already existed.
        4. Outlook Task and todo tasks should really sync so we can visibility to everything that's that we are working on in the summary page. that would be awesome if we could see that integration between outlook 2016 tags (todo tasks) and One Note 2016 tags.

• Randy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Before we talk about AI and holograms that will help me repair my motorcycle on the side of the road, I would really like some software that works for me instead of software that makes me work so hard for it. Outlook does a lot of things really well, but all of my work flows and preferences have to be customized to Outlook's structures. Now, add OneNote - and a whole other way of working and organization needs to be developed and adapted. It takes a lot of work to manage any sort of categorization or tagging effort - especially if an item is multifaceted. I find that my categorization in Outlook works really well - when I can see everything that is categorized versus everything that isn't categorized. Seeing al items at once also allows me to "audit" my entries to be sure that all are correctly categorized. Yes, I have multiple categories assigned to a single contact or a single email and the same sort of functionality would be really useful in OneNote. The same level of flexibility and customization - and capacity - within the Outlook category functionality would be really helpful in OneNote - especially because it is really hard to find something in OneNote. (Early on, I reached the maximum number of custom tags available in OneNote and so moved away from using tags altogether as I knew they would be too limited in number. I'm trying to find a way to "code" my OneNote pages to match my Outlook categories to match my document names. Pretty challenging!

• AKasten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How often do you tag a note/item with multiple tags?
        Always -The tagging system in OneNote 2016 has become an indispensable part of my organizing system -along with the customized tag option. Most of the tags I use are customized and this flexibility is important to me. I want to switch entirely to the new version of OneNote but I won't be able to without this feature.

I use tags to categorize todo items and how complete they are. I tried using the check boxes with icons but I did not like that system -I ended up creating too many separate tags and it was messy. I use the color coded checkboxes to categorize task priority, then I use different icons to indicate status like if it is in-progress, draft sent/waiting for feedback, 2nd revisions. I also use the icons as a visual reference for what the item is in a list -Video, post, featured item, campaign.

I need to see all of my tags on an item by default. I use the tags to indicate different things along with progress/priority. I continually update the tags as task status changes. If I can't see all of my tags (max of 3) then the feature is not usefull to me and will only be used for the checkboxes.
        Tags Summary Pane is the one I use most often but either would be fine. I just need to see all of my tags in 1 place sorted by Tag Name or Section -I don't use the other sorting options.

• JK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. Always

2. To designate next item, how much time they require and how much focus they require. Examples: Todo + Quick, Todo + Medium, Todo + Long, FocusHigh + Long, FocusLow + Medium

3. If I'm using tags to designate both how long an item will take (e.g. Quick) and how much focus it will require (e.g. FocusHigh), it is helpful to see both side by side so I can visually search out todo items that fit the present situation. Example: scan tag summary pane for side-by-side Quick and FocusHigh tags.

4. Tags Summary Pane - for the refresh functionality. The summary page just duplicates my todo list, but doesn't update when I check the items off on their original pages.

• Sandro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1.) ALWAYS. Think about gathering ideas or developing concepts. One idea / concept could be relevant in multiple contexts.
        2.) Makes search easier like in evernote
        4.) b)

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base