How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Add find and Replace

Add find and replace. This is self explanatory. And I have no fucking clue why its not there. Never-mind, I remember, you're Microsoft.

206 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • NJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use templates for employee on-boarding, server build checklists, etc. Templates need to be quickly updated using global find & replace (CTRL+H).

I've impatiently waited for 14 years for this feature. In the meantime, I continue to use Evernote.

Why won't you add this feature, OneNote team?

• Nicole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Try Onetastic for onenote, they have ton of macros, you can even use find and replace to change hyperlinks. Once you read this spread the word; too many of the uservoice complaints can be solved easily with onetastic.

Try the macros from onetastic, you can use search and replace, you can even search and replace hyperlinks. Onenote with onetastic is great.

• Jonathan David Finch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only reason I got OneNote last week was because I assumed it might have some cool features that LibreOffice, MS Word, or OpenOffice lack. I thought it might make my work more productive.

I've just decided to uninstall OneNote,
        when I discovered to my astonishment
        that OneNote lacks even the most basic features--
        viz., a Find & Replace option.

What takes me 4 seconds, literally,
        in the free LibreOffice Writer
        takes me AT LEAST 20 seconds in OneNote
        (because I need to manually replace
        every instance of the name).
        I use Find & Replace multiple times a day,
        for multiple occurrences of names in a document.
        Therefore, it would be a tremendous WASTE OF TIME
        for me to use OneNote at all.

If OneNote lacks even this basic feature,
        I'll just assume that it's not worth getting to know.

It was nice downloading you, getting to know you for a few days,
        then uninstalling you.

Sincerely,
        Jonathan

• Tony Zahra-Newman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. As far as possible, ALL the Office modules should try for unity of commands & functions across modules, to minimize confusion & reduce the inter-module learning curves.

In the meantime try using onetastic for onenote they have a great search and replace macro that should solve your problem.

In the meantime you can look into onetastic for this feature, the macros work really well

• Mike Hallard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft Word has very versatile find and replace options (punctuation can be included, new lines and other special characters can be included, search for formatting, match case etc).

Though Regular Expression search and replace in OneNote would be excellent, replicating the functionality of Word search and replace would also be excellent (better in some ways) and so either would be a major and ground-shifting improvement to OneNote. The weakness of OneNote search and absence of replace are enough on their own to make me consider alternative software.

• Dan Farrell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's painful trying to follow that suggested method. Find and replace should've been included from the get-go.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After 13 years of OneNote lacking this basic feature, I'm certain that you folks will never add it -- I just wish you would let us know the reasons for this decision, so that we users may stop wondering about it & pestering you with these UserVoice suggestions to add it.

• George France commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have over a thousand emails that I have imported into OneNote and desperately need to search and replace in each one of them. Please incorporate this in your next update. Thank you.

GBF

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base