How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Sub Pages more than two levels

To organize my work I need more than two level of subpages. Minimum ten level will be good. Maximum 20 level will be great. On other respect One Note is great. For time being I have to find other alternative until you get it right

167 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Praful shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

41 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why doesnt it work?
        is there a necessity for this, arising from the code structure which would be hard to fix?
        or is it just because?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been using Onenote for a while and I feel anyone using Onenote would like this feature. Only two sub-page level does not suffice.

• Michael Bray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another example of programmers putting in unnecessary restrictions because they know better than we do how we are going to use the application. I can say that, because I'm a programmer. Microsoft, PLEASE remove the limit!

• Michael Bray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another example of programmers putting in unnecessary restrictions because they know better than we do how we are going to use the application. I can say that, because I'm a programmer. Microsoft, PLEASE remove the limit!

• Harriet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I actually disagree with this. I used to want this feature, but now I think it's a blessing it wasn't available to me and it forced me to managed my notes much better than I would have. I don't think you should need more than Notebook/Sectiongroup/Section/Level1/Level2/Level3 to organise your notes. I do have a lot of notebooks though, and I put them in colour blocks so you could count that as an additional level too I guess.

• Amy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneNote used to have more (infinite, I think) levels. When they changed from 2007 format to 2010 format, they changed it to use fewer files to hold your content. If I remember correctly, it used to be that each page was a Windows file. I used to be able to nest pages to my heart's delight! I miss that ability. I'm having trouble finding things now; it's a big mess, only half as organized as I used to be able to make it.

• Michael Elliot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ironic - one of the things i expected OneNote to do *better* than Evernote is allow infinite levels of subpages (and sections) like in the Windows file system and in Outlook folders.

Tags should also allow infinite nesting for folks who like that tool better.

The limit of 255 notebooks with only one level of nesting is my biggest criticism of Evernote - where they tell you that tags are a better way to organize, but there are not enough tag "tools" to make it really work well, and no easy way to jump from notebooks to tags.

Microsoft has a golden opportunity to make OneNote the better alternative by creating better organization tools - get busy!

• metsapuro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A must have. I do realize this might cause some layout problems with mobile apps; nevertheless, let the users decide whether to use multilevel subpages or not.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base