How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Prompt where to send the screen clipping

Ever since the new update Window + shift + s hotkey no longer prompts the user where it wants to send the screen clipping. Instead, it stores the clipping in clipboard. This is inefficient. If you manually select "take screen clipping" the prompt will work as designed.

79 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

56 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I d' like that pressing Win+Shift+S pops up the choice box like it was in the past.

• Jo Turner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sriram commented · January 20, 2018 8:31 AM · Flag as inappropriate

Please get back the option of sending the screen shots directly to One note after WIN key + S. New option is frustrating (WIN key + Shift + S) after this i need an additional step for Note (CTRL + V). This seems a very inefficient step backwards

Please enable the old behaviour that after the screen clipping is taken, it gets copied into OneNote, without the Ctrl+V keys.

Please bring back the shortcut Windows+Shift+S! The current ways of capturing screen clippings are tedious and a waste of time.

• MikeH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

UPDATE on my previous comment.

The simple fact is when we now do Windows+Shift+S this is the shortcut for the Snipping Tool (that's why there is a red outline not black). This has happened before. Doesn't Microsoft communicate internally between Windows and MS OneNote teams / not aware of the shortcuts of each???? As before surely all it needs is a further Windows 10 update to reset the Snipping Tool to be a different shortcut combination and all will be well. Two days later and not comment or response to our pleas.

• Sriram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please get back the option of sending the screen shots directly to One note after WIN key + S. New option is frustrating (WIN key + Shift + S) after this i need an additional step for Note (CTRL + V) ufff are we going to stone age??

• MikeH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a long time MS Office Trainer and today 18/01/18 went to demonstrate the excellent Windows + Shift + S screen clipping tool which then prompts you where to save / locate in OneNote. To my frustration it didn't work and despite unticking and re-ticked in options for the taskbar icon. IT STILL DIDNT WORK. THIS REALLY WAS VERY EMBARASSING. So when got home started to investigate to find Microsoft when providing the Windows 10 Fall update stopped this from working as before. If you use Windows + Shift + S you get a red outline and all it does is place what you have screen clipped into the clipboard not into OneNote. THIS IS FOR ME A MANY OTHERS A MASSIVE RETROGRADE STEP. WHY CHANGE SOMETHING WHICH WAS WORKING PERFECTLY. WHY CHANGE WITHOUT ANY EXPLANATION OR NOTIFICATION. I NOW CANNOT EFFECTLY ADVOCATE / TRAIN THIS.

PLEASE FIX / RE SET IT AS BEFORE.

In meantime I have found this fix
        https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote-mso_win10/onenote-2016-desktop-screen-clipping-not-working/5d251a98-1b04-4715-ab3a-2914fda03647

This fix is thanks to Zak Godwin replied on March 14, 2017

Open the follow registry key with regedit:
        HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\OneNote\Options\Other
        Add a new DWORD ScreenClippingShortcutKey
        Set the data value as hex 58. (This allow you to use WIN+Shift+x) to open the OneNote Snipping Tool correctly.
        You will need to close ONENOTEM.exe from the taskmgr and reopen for the setting to work.
        I hope this helps others frustrated with this issue. I found the info regarding this on these couple sites:
        http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/onenote-screen-clipping-shortcut-key-change/
        http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/capture-screen-region-snippingtool-clip-shortcut-windows-10/

All this means for me is I can now use Windows + Shift + X and it works.

FINAL PLEA PLEASE FIX THIS MICROSOFT ASAP TO THE BENEFIT OF ALL ONENOTE USERS!!!

• KL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back the shortcut Windows+Shift+S! The current ways of capturing screen clippings are tedious and a waste of time. Why change something that worked so well?

Please bring back the shortcut Windows+Shift+S! The current ways of capturing screen clippings are tedious and a waste of time. Why change something that worked so well?

Windows + Shift + S is an awesome feature to copy the part of the screen, and it is been sent to clipboard automatically; Please do not stop this.

For guys who wants this to be stopped, please configure the One note screen print feature as you want.

SO frustrating! I am literally looking for another tool to replace OneNote, if this cannot be fixed! I used to use it for so many things, business and personal.

• McMorse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OK EVERYONE I FOUND A FIX

https://www.top-password.com/blog/fix-onenote-screen-clipping-shortcut-not-working-in-windows-10/

Do all the steps listed by creating a new Reg Entry for your version of One Note's snipping tool.
        On Step 5 Put the HEX VALUE in for S not Z

Finally before you restart run reg.exe add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced /v DisabledHotkeys /t REG_SZ /d S /f

Then restart and you can now take screenshots with One Note again.

Microsoft this **** has got to stop. You're pushing updates and patches that are ruining user experience. It's to the point where Linux and Mac OSX are becoming better choices for work and play. The moment Nvidia or AMD create effective drivers to interact with Linux and the compatibility layer more effectively you will lose your market share.

I pay you to stream line the custom ability with the 25+ years or professional design, production and enterprise in mind... and you give not just me but millions this...?

FIX THIS issue..previous shortcut is awesome..current short key is useless because already ctrl+prntsc is provided by you for screenshot.

It surprises me each time Microsoft does it... while all the companies out there struggle to keep the user experience the same, Microsoft is probably the only one who consistently breaks it.

I can understand UI redesign and etc.. but remapping and changing shortcuts functionality?? Why?!

please bring back the shortcut, without this the one note tool is absolutely useless.

At work I use winkey+S all the time (on Windows 7) with Office 2010.

I am running as Admin on Windows 10 Home, retail copy, upgraded to build 1607 only a week ago
        I have Office 2010 with OneNote.

As of Dec 5th 2017 I have googled several recent resources they offer the same Registry hack to get back user control of winkey+key but none of the hacks has worked.
        Winkey+Shift-S does nothing. No built-in clip tool.
        I have wasted hours on this, thanks for nothing. Please send out a USEFUL update to Win10 which gives up back what we want. Respectfully, Jim, Canberra

Win + Shift + S hotkey

Please fix this. The option in OneNote to 'Always ask where to send' makes no sense if it doesn't ALWAYS ask.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base