How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Fix Bug with hotkey (window + shift +s) screen clipping not prompting where to send the screen clipping

Ever since the new update Window + shift + s hotkey no longer prompts the user where it wants to send the screen clipping. Instead, it stores the clipping in clipboard. This is inefficient. If you manually select "take screen clipping" the prompt will work as designed.

36 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, inefficient to say the least. I like to take multiple screen clips using onenote to log all of the clips. Then when I am ready to create a document all of my clips are ready and waiting. The new method doubles my effort by forcing me to paste to onenote for every clip. :(

Window Shift S going both to clipboard and to specified OneNote page is extremely valuable. I was able to do it in the past with Windows 7. Please allow it in Windows 10.

• Sarah K.Sarah K. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with all of the comments. Losing the functionality to take the screenshot and find it in a pre-determined notebook makes OneNote much less user friendly. Please restore that functionality.

• FrançoisFrançois commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows + Shift + S shortcut to take a screen clipping and send screenshot to your OneNote,

activate Windows + Shift + S shortcut to take a screen clipping and send screenshot to our OneNote

• Tim HolleyTim Holley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add me to the list. I use one note daily and now it has become useless because of all the extra steps. I agree with Chuck. Who ever made this change must not use One Note.

• ChuckChuck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What idiot removed this? Or who was the moron that approved it? Put it back.

• Ryan MongenelRyan Mongenel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add me to this list. The feature was GREAT! The new option is much slower and just requires too many clicks to paste content to OneNote pages. Please bring back the option to determine where to send the screen shot after using the hotkey (window + shift + s)!

• KyleKyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add me to the chorus - screen clipping was great, now it is much slower and more frustrating to use. Please fix your screwup, MS.

Mapping Window + Shift + A with regedit is a nice solution (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote-mso_win10/onenote-screen-clipping-keyboard-shortcut-stops/7d20c1be-e086-4d47-a25c-1367ca0980bb) but users shouldn't have to do this. It was poor design to remap a hotkey then not have a different hotkey for it. This particular functionality is valuable because multiple screenshots can be taken back to back and recorded without touching OneNote. Who wants to right click + left click + screenshot + switch to OneNote, ctrl + N, ctrl + V every single time they want to take a screenshot? This makes it difficult to focus on what you are actually screenshotting and then you can miss something because of the additional clicking around and switching windows. Bottom Line: The new screen clipping function should have been assigned a different hotkey and the existing hotkey left alone.

• MarieMarie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why be dependent on a mouse? Win + Shift + S is much more efficient. I use this all day to save screen clips of user issues and errors.

Wel, as someone alredy has commented: right clicking the OneNote icon in the Taskbar and selecting "Take Screen Clipping" is not so bad, but it is absolutely not as good as Windows + Shift + S , and why? Because just adds the clipping to the existing page, it does not create a new page, so you end up with all of the screen clipping on one page.

• James DreilingJames Dreiling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, this is very disappointing the MS would make an update to a shortcut that is widely used. Very disappointed!

• SSSS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add me to the list of unhappy customers. I really need the win+shift+S to perform a screen clip and insert it into OneNote, not additional steps/mouse clicks. Please create a registry key to override the creator default.

• DTDT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should never have happened, but since it has, please revert it back to how it was. Replacing the existing OneNote clip shortcut with a much less useful Screen Clipping makes no sense.

Why MS would replace an existing, often-used shortcut combination rather than create a new one for default Screen Clipping? Why not WINKEY+SHIFT+C or A or anything else? And the screen clipping tool looks almost identical to the OneNote clipping tool, aside from the red border. This took me a while to track down, since there were no notes about it available when the problem first started.

PLEASE return the default to what it should be, or at least give us the ability change both of them to something user-defined (via a GUI tool that doesn't require a manual reg change, for the sake of folks who dont know how to do that easily)

• JBJB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I regularly used the Screen Clipping shortcut with a Default Location set to capture numerous processes without having to interact with OneNote at the same time. Example: capturing each window of an application install. I could quickly document the settings and messages without slowing the process. This allowed me to return to OneNote later to combine the multiple pages as needed and reference information. I used this process or something similar daily. Having to now either use the OneNote taskbar action, or click to add a new page and paste (ctrl+v) to get the same functionality removes all of the efficiency. If the Win+Shift+S hotkey has been assumed by the new Creator update, at least add an additional key command option in OneNote to return the previous functionality.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely lame update, bring back the window + shift + s for clip to one note.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base