How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Fix Bug with hotkey (window + shift +s) screen clipping not prompting where to send the screen clipping

Ever since the new update Window + shift + s hotkey no longer prompts the user where it wants to send the screen clipping. Instead, it stores the clipping in clipboard. This is inefficient. If you manually select "take screen clipping" the prompt will work as designed.

65 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

38 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Travis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Restore previous functionality and behavior. This was a very dysfunctional and ill-considered change, for the reasons others have outlined. Workflows are broken requiring many more steps or you have to use a hidden, undocumented registry hack.

• Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is NOT a bug. I actually use this feature now that it's not tied to OneNote and this would be a huge regression for my daily workflow.

If you want this to be possible, let it be an option in settings, and let users choose where to send the clipping, not just OneNote.

• Keto Zhang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do understand that Win + Shift + S was so popular for people who used it as a selection screenshot but don't care to paste it on OneNote so they changed it to OneNote-less shortcut on the Creator's Update.

A better suggestion is to have OneNote use a different shortcut than Win+Shift+S

• Maria O'Neill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix the above issue with OneNote not sending screenshots to Quick Notes.

Please return to the original Windows+Shift+S automatically moving the screenshot to a new Quick Notes page.

Thanks

• Justin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft you are an idiot. First when going to Window 10, you make the OneNote screen shot from Window + S to Window + Shift + S and now you change that so it doesn't work. Do you even like OneNote?????

I guess the Creator update is just an Update to create more work. Nicely done, you have accomplished that.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Re-roll ffs, changed computer at work and the new one obviously has the new (unwanted) update......

Why would you take this away. Have you assumed that no one even uses your product anymore. Keep it up and I will have to move to something like open office that doesn't break stuff every time a new update comes out. Please PUT IT BACK.

Yes, inefficient to say the least. I like to take multiple screen clips using onenote to log all of the clips. Then when I am ready to create a document all of my clips are ready and waiting. The new method doubles my effort by forcing me to paste to onenote for every clip. :(

Window Shift S going both to clipboard and to specified OneNote page is extremely valuable. I was able to do it in the past with Windows 7. Please allow it in Windows 10.

• Sarah K. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with all of the comments. Losing the functionality to take the screenshot and find it in a pre-determined notebook makes OneNote much less user friendly. Please restore that functionality.

• François commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows + Shift + S shortcut to take a screen clipping and send screenshot to your OneNote,

activate Windows + Shift + S shortcut to take a screen clipping and send screenshot to our OneNote

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base