How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

Prompt where to send the screen clipping

Ever since the new update Window + shift + s hotkey no longer prompts the user where it wants to send the screen clipping. Instead, it stores the clipping in clipboard. This is inefficient. If you manually select "take screen clipping" the prompt will work as designed.

103 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

74 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Emma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So disappointed that this excellent shortcut has been removed. Why? Please can it be put back. As far as I can see the workarounds are simply not as good as the original.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Until the most recent update screen clipping worked fine, irrespective of required dialogue, straight to clip board a far better approach. However now "windows, shift, s" results in a black screen with no visibility of original screen information and "ctrl, V" results in a black image being pasted. I know if I role back the update my problem is resolved but am concerned about losing protection from security updates. Isn't it about time security updates and functional changes are separated to give the user the option and keeping the functional familiarity - or is this too simplistic ?

• Kim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Count me among those frustrated by the disappearance of the Keyboard shortcut (SHFT+Windows+S). I don't like that I can still snip using the keyboard shortcut, but it no longer saves it into OneNote folder.

In digging around the internet, I finally came across this link:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/insert-a-screen-clipping-on-a-page-e12e1d20-e54b-466b-a156-123643414c47

Now, as long as I have OneNote open, I can RIGHT CLICK on the snipping tool icon (lower rightside/taskbar), select "Take Screen Clipping," and choose my area to snip. I can then toggle over to my open OneNote notebook and see the item is placed there, as it was before the "upgrade." Certainly not the same as before (darn it), but at least it seems to work.

• Raedq commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried MikeH's suggested fix by Zak Godwin who is now my new hero and it worked fantastically!

Here's a copy/paste of MikeH's comments:

MikeH commented · January 19, 2018 01:02 · Flag as inappropriate
        I am a long time MS Office Trainer and today 18/01/18 went to demonstrate the excellent Windows + Shift + S screen clipping tool which then prompts you where to save / locate in OneNote. To my frustration it didn't work and despite unticking and re-ticked in options for the taskbar icon. IT STILL DIDNT WORK. THIS REALLY WAS VERY EMBARASSING. So when got home started to investigate to find Microsoft when providing the Windows 10 Fall update stopped this from working as before. If you use Windows + Shift + S you get a red outline and all it does is place what you have screen clipped into the clipboard not into OneNote. THIS IS FOR ME A MANY OTHERS A MASSIVE RETROGRADE STEP. WHY CHANGE SOMETHING WHICH WAS WORKING PERFECTLY. WHY CHANGE WITHOUT ANY EXPLANATION OR NOTIFICATION. I NOW CANNOT EFFECTLY ADVOCATE / TRAIN THIS.

PLEASE FIX / RE SET IT AS BEFORE.

In meantime I have found this fix
        https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote-mso_win10/onenote-2016-desktop-screen-clipping-not-working/5d251a98-1b04-4715-ab3a-2914fda03647

This fix is thanks to Zak Godwin replied on March 14, 2017

Open the follow registry key with regedit:
        HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\OneNote\Options\Other
        Add a new DWORD ScreenClippingShortcutKey
        Set the data value as hex 58. (This allow you to use WIN+Shift+x) to open the OneNote Snipping Tool correctly.
        You will need to close ONENOTEM.exe from the taskmgr and reopen for the setting to work.
        I hope this helps others frustrated with this issue. I found the info regarding this on these couple sites:
        http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/onenote-screen-clipping-shortcut-key-change/
        http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/capture-screen-region-snippingtool-clip-shortcut-windows-10/

All this means for me is I can now use Windows + Shift + X and it works.

FINAL PLEA PLEASE FIX THIS MICROSOFT ASAP TO THE BENEFIT OF ALL ONENOTE USERS!!!

• Raedq commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had no idea this was deliberate! I was trying to find a fix! What a pain... Could you please restore?

If I need to take multiple clipping I can't keep switching back and forth to paste in OneNote...

• Sigge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Extremely annoying, please go back as the post describes. Actually go back to the options where it saves my print screen in OneNote with out bugging me. It was lovely to have when you crated guides.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I have used the windows shift s hotkey like forever... I would like to see the old function re-instated.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please. Bring the old function back (at least one time with the option to select - similar the "Select Location in OneNote" window with the possibility to flag " Don't ask me again and always do the following:"...There, the community can decide if they like the print screen in as "Copy in Clipboard" , .. or as I like - the old option to select the Notebook I like to store in.

• E.J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please restore Window+Shift+S to go directly to one note. You can even make it an optional setting. Let the user choose.

• Ron H. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please enable the old behavior that after the screen clipping is taken by double clicking the top button of the Surface Pen it gets copied into OneNote automatically, without the Ctrl+V keys. Taking away the automation wastes time and money. In my business keystrokes and mouse clicks cost money and slows down the process. You keep messing with the functionality of the Surface Pro Pen and OneNote and get it wrong every time. The reason I bought the Surface Pro from ym staff was how seamless it worked with OneNote.

• MikeH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On 18th January I made a comment a plea to get Windows + Shift + S to be reinstated so OneNote screen clipping tool would work as before the then Windows 10 latest update. Presently if you use this key combination you activate the Snipping Tool instead with a red boarder and even if you activate manually it doesn't activate the prompt box and where to save it in OneNote.

So here we are a monthly or so later and STILL this hasn't been fixed.

On here no acknowledgement, comment or response has been posted by Microsoft. Therefore it does beg the question "do any of these "improvement" suggestions even get read???" by Microsoft OneNote Team.

To quote Microsoft's mission / values:

Customer obsessed: We are passionate about helping our customers achieve more, and that means we really listen and learn from them.

Especially the words "we really listen and learn from them" REALLY?? IT SEEMS NOT IN THIS CASE.

So isn't it about time Microsoft OneNote actually lived up to their corporate mantra?

Will I get a response to this - yet again time will tell.

So I call upon all MS OneNote users

PLEASE VOTE TO GET THIS FIXED. MINIMUM OF 20,000 VOTES SHOULD AT LEAST GET IT NOTICED.

• Roman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like that pressing Win+Shift+S pops up the choice box like it was in the past.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I d' like that pressing Win+Shift+S pops up the choice box like it was in the past.

• Jo Turner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sriram commented · January 20, 2018 8:31 AM · Flag as inappropriate

Please get back the option of sending the screen shots directly to One note after WIN key + S. New option is frustrating (WIN key + Shift + S) after this i need an additional step for Note (CTRL + V). This seems a very inefficient step backwards

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base