OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.

How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Include the feature from OneNote 2016 to make customizable tags

Customizable tags is a feature my business can NOT live without. This is the only thing that keeps us from switching to OneNote (from OneNote 2016)

335 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

32 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please add "print to onenote" also for the uwp app

The Installation of OneNote 2016 installs also a printer "send to OneNote 16". I'd like that feature also for the uwp app.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. please make OneNote 2016 for windows desktop sections view just like OneNote for mac,which is a list not a menu bar.

please make OneNote 2016 for windows desktop sections view just like OneNote for mac, which is a list not a menu bar.
    that make notebooks , sections and pages show as three list together ,it is beautiful ,just like on mac ,thanks

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are closing this idea as the platforms have all been converged into 1 common design as part of the July 2017 update.

On Windows, please use the OneNote for Windows 10 app in order to see this new design.

For more information on this, please visit the following article:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&ocmsassetID=1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea#Audience=Everyone

Thank you for all your feedback in helping us shape the next version of OneNote.

4. Edit attached/embedded Office files

In OneNote 2016 an attached Excel/Word file could be opened from OneNote, edited, saved, and synced automatically back to OneNote.

Now, in OneNote Windows 10, such files can only be opened as "Read Only."

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This feature will be rolling out to all users on OneNote for Windows 10 over the next few weeks.
    Don’t worry about saving the new changes as a separate file and re-attaching to your notebook – your changes are already synced and ready to be viewed in OneNote! Make sure AutoSave is on.

Here is the link to a recent blog explaining how it works
    techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365-B..

5. Bring back the "Copy link to paragraph" functionality in OneNote for Windows 10

OneNote 2016 has the feature to copy the link to the choosen paragraph. I use this feature a lot. Please also add this functionality in the OneNote App for Windows 10.

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that Copying Link to Paragraphs is now available as of the September update. Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

For more details on how to use this feature, please reference the following article:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-links-to-notebooks-sections-pages-and-paragraphs-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-48dd0e82-623c-405d-b63a-df4eaf55c72a?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

6. [BUG] Fix OneNote 2010 Sync With OneDrive (aka All Sections Disappear Bug 2017)

As of May 2017, users of Microsoft OneNote 2010 that sync their notebooks with OneDrive are experiencing an issue where all sections in their notebooks disappear. Users then have to manually sync all their notebooks which some users report will restore their sections temporarily. Eventually their sections will disappear again usually after an hour or two.

Screenshot of the problem:
    http://imgur.com/0hF34bJ

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Dave,

We apologize for the inconvenience. This issue has been reported and resolved as per the following answers forum thread:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote-mso_win10/onenote-why-does-this-message-keep-coming-up-there/8a8a1a5c-b29a-4d66-8313-6a6d94bb4dca?auth=1

On a side note, I would like to point out that our uservoice forums are reserved for ideas and requests from users. For bugs please refer to use OneNote’s Answers forum:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote?auth=1

Thanks,
    -The OneNote Team

7. virtual ruler just like in ink workspace

its very necessary to add virtual ruler just like in Windows ink workspace sketch pad.

I am taking all my class notes in one note but without the ruler, protracter and compess its very difficult . pls provide these features in coming updates

its very imp

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to inform you that the virtual Ruler has been added to OneNote for Windows 10 as part of our December 2017 update.

You can find it in the ribbon under the Draw tab.

For more information please reference the following article:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea

Thank you for helping us shape OneNote for Windows 10.
    -The OneNote Team

8. Print to newest addition of OneNote

The only option i see to print is to OneNote 2016 and I would like to insert the PDFs right into the newest edition so that I don't have to copy and paste. Also lately the sizing has been very off when a file is copied and pasted into another part of oneNote

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Preformatted Text Styles

the text styles that are available in OneNote 2016 should have the same editing feature as Word 2016 in which it allows you to edit pre-made text styles or add new ones (Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.).

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that this was made available as of the January 2017 update.

For more details on how to use this feature, please reference the following article:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&ocmsassetID=1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea#Audience=Everyone

Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

10. Save embeded files being opened out side automatically, not untile file close!!!!!!!!

I modified an embedded excel file for days, and I save it often in Excel.
    Today I clicked the button in Outlook to upgrade office, then I closed Onenote firstly, then Excel.... you know what happened? my modifications get lost permanently! not in onenote history/recycle bin, even not found in system recycle bin... how brainless could this be?

Why not OneNote make a copy of my file in days? it changes several times, is it hard to detect it? I'm speechless.......... a file syncher is much better than this ****.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can do this in OneNote for Win10 app.

Also, in the OneNote app, don’t worry about saving the new changes as a separate file and re-attaching to your notebook – your changes are already synced and ready to be viewed in OneNote! Make sure AutoSave is on.

Here is the link to a recent blog explaining how it works
    techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365-B..

11. Autosave for embedded documents

Can we please have office documents embedded in OneNote pages auto-save in the same way that they auto-save if they are stored as a file in the SharePoint site where the notebook is located?

OneNote saves automatically to a cache and then to OneDrive/SharePoint for notebooks stored in OneDrive. In Office 365, word, excel etc documents auto-save as long as they are stored on a SharePoint, so having a file saved to my OneDrive means it will be auto-saved, which is important for group work.

I use OneNote Notebooks heavily for Office 365 Groups, and embed documents in the notebooks.…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This capability is rolling out to all users on OneNote for Windows 1-0 over the next few weeks.

Make sure AutoSave is on, edit what you want, and close the file when you’re done. The next time someone opens the file from the notebook, those latest changes will be there.

12. Please, fix the proofing language bug.

You can't set the proofing language, somehow Onenote automatically uses the display language. Very frustrating when editing or taking notes in a different language. It baffles me why this is not fixed.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that this was completed as part of the May 2017 update to OneNote for Windows 10.
    You should now be able to select some text, right click it and set the proofing language.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea

Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

13. Insert File Printout, Word file icon no longer showing.

Inserting a file printout used to put a copy of the file on the page and then the Inserted pages. This feature was removed with the update to Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 on the 8th December.

You could click on the word document and open and edit it. When you saved the file, the file on the OneNote page asked to update the printout.

As a teacher I use this feature a lot with the students and staff.

1. Topic test written in Word are placed in a department notebook and can be easily updated when changes need to…

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add "Take a Picture from Camera" functionality on OneNote

OneNote is a wonderful way of taking notes, including personal Notes. It's almost like a journal.

I'd love it if I could take photos of myself or others directly from my camera or web cam while making a personal entry in my notes.

Thank you in advance!

646 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

164 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that Inserting a Picture from Camera is already available. Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use. You can find this in the Insert ribbon tab under the Pictures menu with the button labelled “From Camera”.

Please read the following article for more information :
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Add-a-picture-to-a-page-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-bbdebae3-eb58-4923-b627-e4db3dace5ab

15. Multilingual Typing > Set multiple Proofing Languages simultaneously

As many users, I use OneNote in my mother tongue and in English. I often—always!—use both langages simultaneously, within a same page. I would love OneNote to be able to consider multiple langages at the same time. I believe iOS did a similar move recently in iOS 10.

79 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are please to inform you that this feature was added to OneNote for Windows 10 as part of the May 2017 update.

For more details on that please visit:

16. No Longer Create Section Groups?

Can we no longer create NEW Section Groups within a notebook with the OneNote app in Windows 10? Why were so many of the useful features removed in this OneNote app. They are making the app unusuable for the advanced user. Is there a more advanced version I can pay for? If the more advanced features aren't added back, I will permanently switch to EverNote. I have already purchases their premium service.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that this was made available as of the July 2017 update. Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

17. Display sections/tabs on a second or third row when the first row is full.

Currently if the screen width is not sufficient to display all tabs or groups of tabs, it hides them under a dropdown menu. The result is that you lose overview of which (groups of) tabs there are. This is contrary to one of the main goals of OneNote, which is presenting a lot of information in a structured, easily accessible way. So it would be better to have all tabs/sections visible and use extra rows to display the tabs, just as is the case in many windows dialogs.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This feedback is no longer applicable to OneNote for Windows 10 as of the July 2017 update since the design has changed a lot. The new design addresses this issue and many others.

For more details, please reference the following article:

18. Make it possible to remove automatic hyperlinks

When I type "www.seznam.cz" then OneNote automatically changes this text to hyperlink. This is OK if there is a possibility to change this link back to plaintext. Sadly the Remove hyperlink command is disabled in the context menu.
    Please fix this so we can switch hyperlink back to a plain text just like in any other text editor, thanks.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that managing hyperlink is now easier as of the September 2017 update to OneNote for Windows 10. Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

19. add section groups & subpages

In the new Windows 10 store app we should be able to create section groups and subpages.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are please to inform you that this feature was added to OneNote for Windows 10 as part of the July 2017 update.

For more details on that please visit:

20. Adding equation by handwriting

It would be much easier to handwrite equation (at least for simple equations)

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to inform you that this feature is already available in OneNote for Windows 10 !

To use it simply write some equations, select your math ink using the select tool from the Draw tab in the ribbon. Finally, with your ink selected, click on the Math button; currently all the way on the right in the Draw tab of the ribbon; and voilà! We hope you enjoy this feature is much as we did working on it.

Stay tuned with our latest updates by referencing the following article:

Thank you for helping us shape OneNote for Windows 10!
    -The OneNote Team

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
  • Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base