OneNote for Windows & Windows phone

How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Bring back the "Copy link to paragraph" functionality in OneNote for Windows 10

OneNote 2016 has the feature to copy the link to the choosen paragraph. I use this feature a lot. Please also add this functionality in the OneNote App for Windows 10.

37 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that Copying Link to Paragraphs is now available as of the September update. Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

For more details on how to use this feature, please reference the following article:
      https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-links-to-notebooks-sections-pages-and-paragraphs-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-48dd0e82-623c-405d-b63a-df4eaf55c72a?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

• Preformatted Text Styles

the text styles that are available in OneNote 2016 should have the same editing feature as Word 2016 in which it allows you to edit pre-made text styles or add new ones (Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.).

8 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that this was made available as of the January 2017 update.

For more details on how to use this feature, please reference the following article:
        https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&ocmsassetID=1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea#Audience=Everyone

Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

• Add back in Ink-to-text

Ink to text is a key feature in One Note 2016. Why would you leave it out of One Note for Windows 10? Now I have to toggle between the two apps to get the functionality I want. Confusing as heck.

221 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that Converting Ink to Text is available as of the September update. Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use. You can find this feature ribbon under the Draw tab.

For more details, please reference the following article:
          https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Write-notes-and-draw-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-82d1189d-eb6d-4b07-9101-b50e13645c28?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

• Multiple OneNote windows

I'd like to have detachable OneNote windows. This would provide the facility to keep two sets of content in view simultaneously. It would, enable, for example, the ability to work with content from different sections or tabs at the same time, instead of switching between tabs/sections to do so, as now.

2 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are please to inform you that this feature was added to OneNote for Windows 10 as part of the July 2017 update.

For more details on that please visit:
            https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&ocmsassetID=1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea#Audience=Everyone

Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

• 1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

Dear Bianca,

We are please to inform you that this is somewhat available as part of the context menu options on notebooks. Simply right click a given notebook and choose Pin To Start to have a shortcut that lands you directly into that notebook.

Thank you for sharing your feedback and helping us improve OneNote.

• Put the name of the open Notebook at the top of the screen

It's confusing knowing which Notebooks is the current one being worked on when switching frequently between notebooks.

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• please make OneNote 2016 for windows desktop sections view just like OneNote for mac,which is a list not a menu bar.

please make OneNote 2016 for windows desktop sections view just like OneNote for mac, which is a list not a menu bar.
                that make notebooks , sections and pages show as three list together ,it is beautiful ,just like on mac ,thanks

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

We are closing this idea as the platforms have all been converged into 1 common design as part of the July 2017 update.

On Windows, please use the OneNote for Windows 10 app in order to see this new design.

For more information on this, please visit the following article:

Thank you for all your feedback in helping us shape the next version of OneNote.

• 1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are pleased to let you know that this was made available in the September 2017 update:

• Option to turn off Preview on Windows 10

I would really like to have the option to turn off the pages preview on the left side navigation pane on OneNote for Windows 10. I have many pages for each section, and having the preview makes me have to scroll for a really long time to find the pageI want.

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• LET ME SEARCH WITHIN A PAGE

With the new update, searching (pressing ctrl+f) just opens up the black menu to the left which searches through all my files for occurences of the word, and when I click on one to read them, it hides the highlghted text (which I was searching for.) Why???!!!??!!??!?? How the shit am I supposed to search through an individual document/page now??? So retarded.... thats such a basic feature.

10 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that this was completed as part of the UI redesign for OneNote for Windows 10.

You should now be able to go into search mode by clicking on the search icon from the navigation on the left or in the top right of the window (depending on the mode). In the search pane, you will find the option to find things only on the current page. Alternatively, the Ctrl + F keyboard shortcut should also pre-select the “Current Page” scope for you. Continuously pressing enter in the search box will also jump around the search various search hits in the page.

https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2017/05/18/note-taking-made-easier-for-everyone-redesigning-onenote/

• 1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Please, fix the proofing language bug.

You can't set the proofing language, somehow Onenote automatically uses the display language. Very frustrating when editing or taking notes in a different language. It baffles me why this is not fixed.

16 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

We are pleased to let you know that this was completed as part of the May 2017 update to OneNote for Windows 10.
                            You should now be able to select some text, right click it and set the proofing language.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-OneNote-for-Windows-10-1477d5de-f4fd-4943-b18a-ff17091161ea

• Sync Notebook Names

Can you please make notebook's name sync across devices when changed on any device.

44 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

We are pleased to inform you that notebook names should sync properly now across devices. If you nickname a notebook on another device, you can expect OneNote for Windows 10 to update to that newly chosen nickname.

Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use

• Error Code 80004005

Suddenly, OneNote for Windows Phone 8.1 refuses to sync. Lots of people seems to have this problem lately. How can it be fixed!

It's frustrating!

3 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Insert File Printout, Word file icon no longer showing.

Inserting a file printout used to put a copy of the file on the page and then the Inserted pages. This feature was removed with the update to Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 on the 8th December.

You could click on the word document and open and edit it. When you saved the file, the file on the OneNote page asked to update the printout.

As a teacher I use this feature a lot with the students and staff.

1. Topic test written in Word are placed in a department notebook and can be easily updated when changes need to…

56 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Pencil function in 2016

Can you please add the pencil function to OneNote 2016. It is a great feature I love in OneNote.

14 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to let you know that this is now available as of the July 2017 update. Thank you for all your comments and feedback in helping us make OneNote better for everyone to use.

• A very wonderful application but still contains some little problems.

It's a very good and nice app but should be containing some certain features to help improve it.

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• User manual

Have an easily accessible user manual or help tab

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

We do have an up to date Help link in the Settings menu. When clicking the Help button, you will be redirected to the following article:
                                        https://support.office.com/en-us/article/OneNote-for-Windows-10-Help-02f3955f-a1df-4458-9724-b8cc0b4d5437?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Also, for more information on updates to OneNote for Windows 10, please visit the following article:

Thank you for all your feedback in helping us shape the next version of OneNote.

• OneNote constantly is cleaning up after startup.

Regarding OneNote for Win10 and Onenote 2016 - This is absolutely the worse explaination of any software that I have ever used. Your guidance is clear as mud.

Add back in Help About Version so that you can easily tell what version of the @$%!@$% software you are running.

OneNote - Who can tell what version of software, constantly cleaning up on startup.

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

We haven’t removed the version number from neither OneNote for Windows 10, nor OneNote 2016.

In order to find it, follow these steps:
                                          - In OneNote 2016 (just like in all Office products) : File > Account. The version number is located at the right side
                                          - In OneNote for Windows 10 : Use the “…” on the top right corner > Settings > About

Regarding the cleaning up issue, in order to get support please reach our experts at :
                                          https://support.office.com/en-in/onenote

• WHY DO YOU BOTHER ASKING FOR SUGGESTIONS IF YOU DON'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT THEM???!!!

FOR OVER ***10 YEARS*** WE CANNOT DOUBLE-CLICK AND DRAG TO SELECT MULTIPLE WORDS.

WHY DON'T YOU FIX THIS -- IT IS SIMPLE!!!

WHY ASK US FOR SUGGESTIONS IF WE HAVE BEEN ASKING FOR THIS SIMPLE FIX FOR OVER 10 YEARS?!?!?!?!?!? READ THIS...

https://onenote.uservoice.com/forums/327186-onenote-for-windows-windows-phone/suggestions/6234352-double-click-and-drag-to-select-multiple-words

DOES MICROSOFT EVEN READ THESE THINGS?!?!?

YES I AM YELLING -- SO MAYBE MICROSOFT WILL PAY ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!

HELLO!! ANYONE HOME?!?!?!?!?!

DO YOU HATE YOUR CUSTOMERS???? BECAUSE IT SURE SEEMS LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

This should already be available.

Please open a new idea if you have more feedback, we’d love to hear it. We are processing a large number of ideas, hence the possible delays, but we will read all of them.

Thank you for all your feedback in helping us make OneNote for Windows 10 better.

← Previous 1 3 4
                                          • Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows & Windows phone

Feedback and Knowledge Base