OneNote for Windows

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve OneNote for Windows?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Include OneNote for Desktop in Office 2019

I really like the desktop lay-out with notebooks on the left, sections on top and pages on the right. I tried the UWP version, and while perfectly suited for use on a tablet (with a reduced number of - bigger - buttons), I feel it misses too many features to replace the desktop version.

So please include OneNote in the new Office 2019 suite!

1,657 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

285 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Improved Tag User Experience

For tags, as a user, I expect to be able to select any color for any of the symbols. For instance, for the color scheme of my notebook, red stands out best, but it is not a color option on most of the tag symbols I want to use for customized tags.
      Also, as a user, I expect the application to have the functionality--such as in Word--for the user to be able to select any symbol from a wide variety of fonts. (Potential code reuse opportunity here?)

10 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • X mark a To-Do Tag

Apart from being able to either check or uncheck a to-do box, we should be able to X mark a to-do box, or do other forms of checking (i.e. shading, half-shaded, etc)

6 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Win: multi-tags;import from outlook, import from EverNote

Working for years with Evernote I am missing some features.

1. Multi-Tags
          2. Synchronisation / import tags from Outlook.
          3. Easy import tags from Evernote

In this order! !

And thumbs up for all other ideas around tags here!!!

310 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

54 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for voting on this feature. I’d like to gather more information on what you would like to see in the future. I have posted 4 questions below —

1. How often do you tag a note/item with multiple tags?
            a) Never
            b) Rarely
            c) Sometimes
            d) Often
            e) Always

2. Can you provide an example, from a recent instance, in which you applied multiple tags? e.g. “todo” & “critical” and “todo” & “important”

3. Some of you commented that it’s important to see all the tags for each item in the summary list, not just the first tag for an item. If multiple tags were shown for each item on the summary list, what would this allow you to do next?

4. When finding tags in OneNote 2016, which tag list is most important to you? Why?
            a) Summary Page
            b) Tags Summary Pane

• Make sorting available without purchase of a third-party add-on.

It's absolutely abysmal that I am unable to sort notes without purchasing an add-on from a third-party developer who is part of the OneNote team, and it only works on Windows. Pathetic.

22 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Automatically append date and time with a tag.

Every line in OneNote 'knows' the date and time it was made or modified. Every page in OneNote knows the date and time you set for it, at the top, beneath the title. What we're missing is the ability to set to 'visible' the date and time of the line, either based on its modify timestamp or utilizing the manually set date or time from the top of the page.
              Let's look at this example...

[ ] ACTION: Wash the cat.

If I right-click on it, I see its timestamp. But I want that timestamp to be seen by everyone,…

19 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for posting this idea. I believe OneNote for Windows 10 currently offers what you are asking for, just not under the concept of a tag.

Have you tried Right Clicking in the canvas and choosing the last option, which should be entitled " at ". For example, if I do that, I see “Dany Khalife at 2/4/2018 10:34 AM”.

When that option is chosen, the author, date and time are all inserted at the location where you initiated the right click.

We could add a keyboard shortcut to this option if that facilitates repetitive insertion, like in your scenario.

• create new tags with emoji keyboard

Create new tags with symbols from the emoji keyboard. Would especially be useful in the mobile app.

8 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Help us out!!! We appreciate that you have spent time on UserVoice giving us feedback on how to improve OneNote tagging. We’d like to hear more!!! Click this link to help guide decisions around custom tags. The survey will take less than 3 minutes. All answers are anonymous.

Survey Closed

• Consider add more actions to costomized tags

The idea for customizing tags is awesome, but I still wanna achieve more when creating new tags.
                  1. Enable users to change font and format of the text. When I was trying to create a tag for "canceled", I wanna draw a cross line through the content text, however, it was not available.
                  2. The action to replace or modify certain tags. For example, the outlook task acts the similar way as "Todo" tags, however, when I add an outlook task to the line where "Todo" tag is already there, I have to manually delete or check "Todo" tag. When…

7 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Custom tags for the UWP app

The tagging functionality in the UWP app is... lacking. Custom tags are what made me love One Note. I want to use the new app as it is a unified experience across desktop, web and mobile but this is a pretty big feature missing.

77 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Help us out!!! We appreciate that you have spent time on UserVoice giving us feedback on how to improve OneNote tagging. We’d like to hear more!!! Click this link to help guide decisions around custom tags. The survey will take less than 3 minutes. All answers are anonymous.

Survey closed

• Improve Tagging and Tag reporting

Tagging in onenote is currently not very useful. Implementing #tagging and better reporting would help. I.e. If I wanted a report across notebooks on items flagged with "Great Idea" currently that would be pretty difficult and messy. Worse if I wanted to group those tags by something.

93 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for voting on this feature. I’d like to gather more information on what you would like to see in the future. I have posted 4 questions below —

a) Never
                        b) Rarely
                        c) Sometimes
                        d) Often
                        e) Always

2. Can you provide an example, from a recent instance, in which you applied multiple tags? e.g. “todo” & “critical” and “todo” & “important”

3. Some of you commented that it’s important to see all the tags for each item in the summary list, not just the first tag for an item. If multiple tags were shown for each item on the summary list, what would this allow you to do next?

4. When finding tags in OneNote 2016, which tag list is most important to you? Why?
                        a) Summary Page
                        b) Tags Summary Pane

OneNote Team

• Multiple tags

I sometimes give an item in OneNote more than one tag (e.g. PROJECT & IDEA). When I go to the TAG SUMMARY, it will display the tag names as headings and then list the tagged items under each heading. However, when multiple tags are used, only the first tag is in the summary and the second tag is ignored.

I'd like to see ALL tags in the summary section.

89 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

a) Never
                          b) Rarely
                          c) Sometimes
                          d) Often
                          e) Always

a) Summary Page
                          b) Tags Summary Pane

• Windows: Enhance To-Do functionality with reminders, geofencing, a summary view of all To-Dos, and multi-user completion notifications

Allow individual list items to have associated reminders, to include geofenced, time/date, and programmed event based. Allow these reminders to be synchronized with outlook.com calendars and to do lists, and to provide notifications to users via the OneNote app. Shared notebooks could provide these notifications to multiple users on different platforms. Add a notification for when the list item is complete : ie, let my spouse know when I've picked up the milk. Consider "Bob is working on list X," and "Susie has completed list X" for longer lists, rather than spam notifications. Allow users to determine the type of…

1,402 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

130 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for voting for this suggestion! We can’t make any promises at this time, but we are definitely considering this feature and would love to hear more about how you would use it and why it’s important to you. If you haven’t done so already, please feel free to add a comment with this information.

• More Formatting Features (table styles, all lowercase text, default font, increase/decrease font size buttons, etc.)

- Table Styles
                            - Case Controls (e.g. all upper, all lower, etc.)
                            - Different Styles (Default heading color and font)
                            - Increase/Decrease Text Size buttons

670 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

64 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! We are considering this request, but don’t have anything to announce at this time. Please stay tuned.

• Windows Phone: Draw or write with a stylus (digital ink or handwriting input)

Vote for this if you want to be able to use a stylus to write in OneNote for Windows Phone by hand.

365 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

47 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! We are considering this request, but don’t have anything to announce at this time. Please stay tuned.

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Windows

Feedback and Knowledge Base