How can we improve OneNote Online?

Disable Auto-capitalization

On the Web App version, there doesn't seem to be a way to disable auto-caps. When I'm taking notes with code in it, it'll auto cap things like "var =" or "somekey: " in a JSON snippet. I like to make snippets I can copy-paste later, but if I'm entering the code on the Web App version, it mucks it up and I have to go back and uncap about every line. If I have it disabled on the Windows desktop version, why wasn't that designed to carry over as the default? If there's no dialog to change it, at least set it to what the full-blown desktop version has set.

146 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brian Chandler shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Completed  ·  Adminshanlee (Admin, OneNote Team) responded  · 

We’ve recently added the ability to choose whether or not you want to auto-capitalize words. To disable auto-capitalization, go to Home>Spelling and select AutoCorrect Options. In the AutoCorrect Options pop-up, de-select the “Capitalize first letter of sentences” box. Re-select the box to re-enable auto-capitalization.

54 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • T N commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a great interruption and annoyance to constantly be editing and fighting OneNote's insistence on making the first letter of a line or bullet point into a capital letter.

Here are a few cases where many users would not want a capital letter at the start of a line:

passwords
        email addresses
        scientific terms
        citations
        poetry

We are not idiots who can't use a shift button. Please give us control of how text appears in OneNote. Mandatory auto-correct features become constant problems for many users, and make the app LESS functional for us.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only obvious thing would be to not auto-capitalize and trust the users they know what they want to write.
        At least disabling spell-checker should also disable all automatic actions applied to spelling.

• Jacob Pitts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a programmer, I really would appreciate not constantly un-capitalizing things OneNote online auto-capitalizes.

• Sick of this "Feature" commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I refuse to recommend OneNote because this feature is MAJORLY annoying! Microsoft should capture analytics on how many times users press Ctrl+Z after auto-correction occurs. So frustrating. This is my Notes not a published document. I would rather it be wrong than auto-corrected, which 99 out of 100 times actually makes it wrong!

Not having this feature almost makes OneNote unusable. First of all, it is for Notes, not a published document. I think you are really misunderstanding your "user" with even having this enabled by default. I have to hit Ctrl+Z more than I use the Shift key because of this stupid feature.

I agree with the frustration with this
        I write speeches, homilies and poems in blank verse
        and it is an anachronism of (at least 100 years out of date) to assume that
        new line= Mandatory Capitalisation (sic)

• Shan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could you give an option to disable autocorrect? Will be helpful when we save code fragments, commands etc.

• M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is highly annoying for documenting code getData() should NOT be converted to GetData() ...aren't you guys in the "programming" business? wouldn't this be obvious?

• David Carabott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wouldn't describe it as annoying - but can sometimes get in the way. My use case is it sometimes mangles mark down text that I'm putting together in OneNote to be later posted to a blog. The bit that's getting me at the moment is auto-correcting <asterisk><space> to a bullet point - which is exactly what I want, just not in OneNote.

• Isaak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using one note to write code for class and sometimes i need what im' writing to be lowercase for the code to work.

• PG04 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add option to disable auto-correct in OneNote Online.
        It's really annoying.

• 1600kHz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been almost a year and as far I can see, auto-capitalisation is still an obligatory nuisance. OneNote Online may be stripped down and minimal, but that doesn't mean small, useful options have to be left out. Or any form of configuration, for that matter.

You could add a capitalisation option under Spelling, for example. Even better: add a small settings menu under File with a handful of options to let users customise their notebook to their liking.

More to the point: I use OneNote mainly to write poems. It's extremely annoying to have to go back and de-capitalise after every break.

1 3 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base