How can we improve OneNote Online?

Disable Auto-capitalization

On the Web App version, there doesn't seem to be a way to disable auto-caps. When I'm taking notes with code in it, it'll auto cap things like "var =" or "somekey: " in a JSON snippet. I like to make snippets I can copy-paste later, but if I'm entering the code on the Web App version, it mucks it up and I have to go back and uncap about every line. If I have it disabled on the Windows desktop version, why wasn't that designed to carry over as the default? If there's no dialog to change it, at least set it to what the full-blown desktop version has set.

146 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brian Chandler shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Completed  ·  Adminshanlee (Admin, OneNote Team) responded  · 

We’ve recently added the ability to choose whether or not you want to auto-capitalize words. To disable auto-capitalization, go to Home>Spelling and select AutoCorrect Options. In the AutoCorrect Options pop-up, de-select the “Capitalize first letter of sentences” box. Re-select the box to re-enable auto-capitalization.

54 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add option to disable autocorrect and make this application more usable for a broader range of users.
        Please understand that there are users who need or want to get keyboard input exactly as typed and who are willing to take full responsibility for their keyboard input.
        Unsolicited autocorrections make their work not easier, but more frustrating, as they need to constantly check and revert autocorrections.

• Moritz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The experience with OneNote Online is so annoying without being able to disable the autocorrection. Astonishing that Microsoft does not improve this small feature with big impact, particularly since Word Online provides the respective option for very long time already it should not be too hard to implement for them...

• lucy s. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

and i don’t even speak another language i just don’t like how capital letters look. there is an option for auto correct or i think on there it’s “check spelling”, but not auto capitalization.

• lucy s. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agree. give the ability to turn off auto capitalization in the onenote app for iphone and ipad. i can’t even use it to write now.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, good idea. In Swedish "i" means "in" or "inside" and it is rather annoying to have "I" in the middle of sentences after you've typed "i".

• M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Planned! YAY!!! code/css capitalization is driving me utterly bonkers!! (you guys are devs for goodness sakes, do none of you devs programming one-note USE one-note??)

This is a major issue for everyone in the world for whom English is not their native language (i.e. 90% of the world population). Please give it the priority it deserves.

• numoonchld commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe there is an option to disable auto-correct in the web one-note app, but auto-capitalization is mucking up all my code notes. I like the organizational features of one-note but this is forcing me to reconsider using one-note for my future projects.

• Fei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide an option to disable auto-capitalize and auto correct

• Jlkjlkj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Especially when editing in other languages!!!! The letter «I» is always automatically capitalized, and this is horrible when editing in Scandinavian countries as the word «i» is «in» translated to English...

would like ability to set auto correct options like desktop option
        such as NOT correcting all-cap words -or such as CNA to CAN, where CNA is an acronym

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base