How can we improve OneNote Online?

Insert from OneDrive

It will be more efficient to insert files directly from OneDrive into OneNote. You have this option for Microsoft Forms and Exel. This way, I do not have to open my OneDrive, download the file from OneDrive, then insert it into OneNote.

211 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kia shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

39 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Trying very hard to get staff to adopt OneDrive and also to get teachers to start using ONeNote - and the fact they have to download then upload documents (or even map the OneDrive to file explorer - which causes massive problems if they have large OneDrives) is really unbelievable - this is such a basic need - how can Microsoft advocate use of cloud services when basic functionality like this is missing...

• Lee Hayton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously - I can't believe this is not possible - after so long aswell. Is this on the cards ? #Disappointing

I totally agree with this comment. Why can you directly link from PowerPoint, word, excel and many other applications within office 365 but not from OneNote that is academically supposed to bring them all together as a notebook for quick and easy access.

Please. Please. Please.

It only makes sense that the one drive communicates with all apps.

• Lora Evanouski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature. If you want all working in the cloud (we have over 7000 devices) we need this feature.

• Avi Markovitz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Insert file printout/attachments directly from Onedrive (and not only from desktop)
        Doing Insert>File printout/File Attachment from a page will only let you Choose file from your local drive and not from the cloud.

It would be great if it was possible to choose file from any cloud but particularly from Onedrive .

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As below, why can't we insert video direct to pages from Onedrive, it all operates within the same parameters so should talk to each other without issue.

• Randy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ability to insert images/files from individual OneDrive (and/or OneDrive for Business), Teams/Sites OneDrive based File libraries is LONG OVERDUE.

• Denise Vajdak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, OneNote should have a direct integration with OneDrive. If nothing else, be able to drag/drop from OneDrive. You shouldn't have to Print to OneNote to copy items over and then have to go get the new page and copy/move the item to the proper location.

• Ben Hart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Install OneNote and OneDrive on your PC. you can then setup a OneDrive directory in windows explorer that syncs automatically. It is then simple to copy anything from your OneDrive directory to OneNote.

This is especially useful for inserting images of formula from your phone (assuming you also have the OneDrive app) into Onenote.

• Mikey Kuplevatsky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely love OneNote, but don't think it makes much sense that we can't add OneDrive files into a Note. Like a video that's uploaded into our OneDrive, an MP3 Audio, Image, etc. There should be more embed integration between OneNote/OneDrive.

• Dietrich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be a feature soon. In the education world, if a student is on a Chromebook (which is increasing fast), they can't insert a file or file printout directly from their OneDrive. Lots of teachers and students really like the Class Notebooks but without this feature it loses a lot of it's potential.

• Karyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you aren't a 1:1 district, the students may only be working in the portal. Please enable them to insert files from their OneDrive online to other Office apps online.

This is ridiculous. This is a pretty basic feature, I don't want to be downloading and uploading to and from my local computer every time I want to insert something! What happened to working online!?

Agreed! I would like to insert files I have already created on OneDrive into OneNote, not just a link.

• Ken Warwick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that OneNote is part of O365 Groups, it would make sense to have the default behavior of a notebook being used by a group to link to files in the Group's OneDrive for Business/SP. At a minimum the file picker in OneNote (online or 2016) should give the option to select a local file (as it does now) OR a "cloudy" file from not just one's personal OneDrive but the OneDrive for Business files... right now I must go to SP/Group Files, get a link to a file, switch back to OneNote and manually put the link on the page ... rather than have a nice Word icon with the name of the file... and of course the little cloud element so that users realize they are working with a shared file in OneDrive....

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base