How can we improve OneNote Online?

Search all my notebooks on OneNote Online

Onedrive online search: this is desperately missing on the online function. I have so many folders and the lack of search feature is crippling on the online version. Please add (I usually sign into onedrive which strangely can search my onenote and then locate the file that way)

419 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

102 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Christian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since january 2015 there has been 100 comments (complaining that global search is missing) and still no answer from Microsoft?

• Chamingoo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please create or enable this option. It is very important to have it without opening each time the computer version.

• Pierre Trudel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can see that Microsoft does not consider OneNote as one product. There is a uservoice section for every version of OneNote. Functionnality greatly differ for different OS. In an era of cloud computing it is surprising and very far from Nadella "Cloud first" approach.

And for the Online version of OneNote on Uservoice, I don't see any comment from Microsoft. This is the second most requested feature and no idea if somebody is working on it.

From the perspective where Microsoft is pushing it's Teams product everywhere and making OneNote integrated with Teams (one notebook or more per Teams) the lack of this feature cripple the product.

• J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seems to be planned by Microsoft to encourage users to stay with their Office plan. I would prefer using OneNote online instead of Evernote. Evernote has this feature, but they are continually limited their service and starting to charge for features that used to be standard.

In "OneNote Online Help," accessed from the "tell me what you want to do" button in OneNote, on the page "Differences between using a notebook in the browser and in OneNote", it claims: "Search is limited to the current section in OneNote Online." My assumption is that Microsoft already knows users will be upset by this but they want to keep it that way. It's like Apple not including swappable hard drives with their phones. They are making so much revenue from users having to upgrade instead of having flexibility.

• Robert Bernstein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add the ability to search across all of my OneNote notebooks, sections, and pages from a single search box the same way that OneNote for Windows does.

• Allan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

make search more interactive. at first I don't know what todo after typing &how it will search.an icon button will help & spinner indicator

• Ayaka Sheehan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same boat as you, Craig. I wanted to switch from Evernote, but note being able to search through all my notebooks online, AND not being able to search inside closed notebooks makes this horrendous from an organizational standpoint.
        I just don't understand how anyone even uses OneNote without being able to confidently and quickly search for a note that they want to reference or add to.

• Bruce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Admin please consolidate the below other ideas into this one, and give this idea it's extra fifty votes.

And also please comment here officially why OneNote online has notebooks, sections and pages if you can't search across them. It's pretty useless as a knowledge base right now.

https://onenote.uservoice.com/forums/327183-onenote-online/suggestions/17815321-search-for-entire-notebook

https://onenote.uservoice.com/forums/327183-onenote-online/suggestions/15512790-search

• Craig Bray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same as mentioned by some other users. I started converting from Evernote but after coming across this restriction I'm afraid that the utility of OneNote Online is too much a step backwards. The whole point of these note taking apps is to never lose anything. Evernote let's me confidently know that if I can't find it in search then it doesn't exist in my Notes, organization of Notes and Notebooks be damned.

• Lyndon Vincent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep - this is a feature that URGENTLY needs fixing. We use OneNote extensively and have many staff access it online - while only having search for the current section then OneNote is really not ready as an online platform

• henrik grubelnik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

KAKO DA NA PADATE ENEGA ČLOVEKA TER ŠIRITE LAŽI ,DA HOČEM UMRETI HOČEM
        ŽIVETI KOT VSI LJUDJE V TEM SVETU TO KRIV MIKROSOFT +GOOGL +FACEBOOK
        NE ŠIRITE LAŽI OMENI 67 LETNEMU DRŽAVLJANU HENRIK GRUBELNIK JAZ HOČEM
        POMAGATI LJUDEM IZ CELOTNEGA SVETA PROSIM NE ŠIRITE LAŽI V CELOTNIH
        DRŽAVAM PO SVETU SA ME LAŽI O MENI 67 LETNEMU DRŽAVLJANU IZ REPUBLIKE
        SLOVENJE HENRIK GRUBELNIKU LAŽI O MENI JAZ SEM BIL POŠTEN DO VAS VI PA
        ŠIRITE LAŽI O MENI PROSIM VAS IZ MOJEGA SRCA NE ŠIRITE LAŽI O MENI PO
        VSEH DRŽAVAM V CELOTNEM SVETU TO JE VELIKA SRAMOTA ZA VAS VI DAJETE
        POPOLNE LA ŽI O MENI POŠENEM ČLOVEKU ,KI HOČEM VSEM LJUDEM DAJATI
        POZITIVNE POKLICE + POKLICNE ŠOLE Z VSEMI OTROCMI V VSEH ŠOLAH PO
        CELOTNEM SVETU IZ MOJEGA SRCA NE ŠIRITE LAŽI O MENI HENRIK GRUBELNIK
        POŠTENEM ČLOVEKU ,KI HOČEM VSEM SVTU SA MO DOBRO NE PA VI MENI ŠIRITE
        LAŽI O MENI HENRK GRUBELNIK UL. KOZARA 1 3250 ROGAŠKA SLATINA
        REPUBLIKA SLOVENIJA POŠTENJAK CELOTNIH DRŽAV V CELOTNEM SVETU !
        ISKRENO VAS PROSIM IZ MOJEGA SRCA NE ŠIRITE LAŽI O MENI GOOGL +FACEBOK
        MARKU ZUKERBERGU NE VELJA NOBEN MOJ GEMALJ OD MENE TER NOBENA KODA OD
        ME NE ON HOČE TRETJO SVETOVNO VOJNO V CELOTNEM SVETU DELA SE KOD ,DA
        JE SVETOVNI KRALJ VSEH DRŽAV HOČE ME NE UNIČTI NA VSAK NAČIN
        POŠTENEGA ČLOVEKA TER NAJ NE ŠIRI LAŽI O MENI PRI NJEMU NE VELJA IN +
        ON ZA NJEGA VEČ NE OBSOJAM VEČ HENRIK GRUBELNIK PA TUDI ZA MIKROSOFT
        NE ŠIRITE LA ŽI O MENI JAZ NISEM BIL PRI VAS V AMERIKI NIKOLI DELAL
        SEM ZA VSE LJUDI PREKO SATELITA SEM NAREDIL DOMA FACEBUK + PINTEREST
        TO JE VSE MOJE LASNIŠTVO ! TER SEM PREKO VSEH MIS FLEŠ SATELITOV TU
        DI DOMA SEM NAŠEL DVA PLANETA ,KI ŽIVIJO LJUDJE TO SO MARIKUS +
        BASENKOR POTREBUJEMO Z SVETLOBNO HITROSTJO OKOLI 30 LET DO TEH DVEH
        PLANETOV +SKY DSL MOJ BRAUZER NARET DOMA SATELIT ! KAJ HOČETE OD
        POŠTENEGA ČLOVEKA TEGA PLANETA PLANETA ,KI SE IMENUJE ZEMJA ! POŠTEN HENRIK GRUBELNIK VARUH ČLOVEKOVIH PRAVIC REPUBLIKE SLOVENIJE +DRŽAVNI SODNIK REPUBLIKE SLOVENJE + CELOTNE EVROPE !

• Karyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely! I have a public notebook that I share and people can only open it in the online version. I tell them to send me a message to request that I add them individually so they can open it in OneNote 2016 with search ability.

• Rob B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Application Designers - Shouldn't this be a no-brainer?

For me, with hundreds of notes, under numerous tabs, the online version is absolutely useless without the ability to search across all tabs/notes.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use OneNote on variety of computers. At work desktop I have the option to search notebooks. That option, or any other search does not appear on iPhone,
        iPad, personal laptop or personal desktop. The search needs to be the same on all applications, making it more user friendly and efficient.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base