How can we improve OneNote Online?

Merging table cells

When creating a table in OneNote, it would be great if we could merge cells. Even copying a table from Word will split up the cells.

119 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Pierre shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Su Jin Jeong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My God it has been THREE YEARS since we have been asking for this simple feature. Really, I can’t imagine how hard it is to implement such a simple feature when it’s already available across all other office apps. PLEASE implement this feature soon and save us hours of frustration.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the functionality to create tables within tables, and the ability to merge cells within tables would be very helpful

• Harrison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah. This is a basic function of tables in the Microsoft product lineup. Why remove it from you brand? This is something I want very much in my next windows update.

• Deepak Mahat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Honestly, I couldn't understand the technical difficulty behind such simple but sought out feature for table formatting in One Note. You can do it word, excel, heck even in outlook I think (haven't tried) but nope in one note, why? This feature has been asked since mid 2013, as one can see questions and feature requests here in forum. Yet, neither it been fulfilled, nor any proper explanation has been provided so far.

Is this because of some sort of patent, legal issues, else, I really cannot believe that there is a technical difficulty in implementing that tiny update.

Please MS you are killing us here. Is it that difficult? I mean we not asking you to put a washing machine into space or anything.

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I copied a table from Word where I had merged cells in a table but OneNote reinstates the merged cells anyway. Frustration.

• Denise Vajdak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tables in OneNote should at LEAST mirror the Tables in Word...merge cells, basic functions such as sum, adding, subtracting, multiplication, etc., Column/Row width. Draw Tables....

Merging Cells and other formatting should mirror Excels table capabilities. I could never understand why Microsoft is not more consistent between apps when it comes to table formatting, for that matter all formatting.

HI, I am a teacher and we use one note a lot but the tables are very frustrating because we can't merge cells. Would that be something you s

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. Can we please merge cells and be able to distribute rows and columns evenly.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please, please may we be able to merge table cells and be able to distribute rows and columns evenly. Please, please!!

Maybe use a compatible format with Word, Powerpoint and Excel.
        Whenever I copy a table over, all the formatting is removed such as cell width and colour. Being able to merge cells would also be good.
        I wouldn't say the data handling functions such as sorting and formulas would be needed

Feedback and Knowledge Base