How can we improve OneNote for iPad & iPhone?

Being able to convert handwritten text on iPad OneNote to text

Being able to convert handwritten text on iPad OneNote to text. It seems to be available on PC tablet/hybrid version, why not iPad? Would be even better now with apple pencil of course!

554 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Robin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Adam McCash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm an instructional designer at a VERY large university (+68k students) where we have recently started giving all new students iPads and Apple Pencils. Students' inability to convert their handwriting to text for studying and working on assignments is one important reason we recommend students pay for Notability instead of using OneNote, despite the fact that students automatically get OneNote with the rest of Office upon enrollment.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This does seem like a logical step, it seems unusual to have ink to shape, which is rarely useful but not ink to text.

This is a must have function if you really want to use it in a business context!

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to complement the inquiry by asking for the convertion of handwritten notes to formula, like it is possible on windows based operating systems.

I echo Joy's concern. Even I'm looking for exactly the same and it seems, this would be the reason to look for other apps.

• Joy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am in shock that I cannot convert my handwritten notes to text on my ipad. it was the WHOLE reason I got the ipad. I am going to be forced to use notability and not synch . Very frustrating!!! Come on Microsoft. Support the enterprise users who need this to do our jobs.

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have an HP Spectre 360 convertable laptop. Handwriting to text conversion works extraordinarily well using Onenote in Windows 10. I purchased an iPad Pro assuming that it would do the same and was shocked to find that it didn't. I returned the iPad Pro because that was the primary reason for the purchase, but certainly hope that MS and Apple will make this happen soon.

• Christy Gary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many other apps have this. I got an Apple Pencil for Christmas and can’t use it in OneNote to convert to text for searching, smaller text, etc. I’ve been using OneNote for over 10 years and have all my notes in it. I really wish you would add this feature so I don’t have to convert to Evernote 😩

• Prajwal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It’s been ages and Microsoft doesn’t seem to care about this feature ! Come on guys !

• Brad Revell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still not sure why this is required. Think how we work as humans, we are visual people therefore converting colourful free-form notes take away from your ability to retain information. PLUS you can search your hand written notes without converting them!

• LShep commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The fact that this option isn't there means it's not even a consideration as a daily driver when apps like Nebo, GoodNotes, and others have this out of the box. Honestly, how do you let little players overtake you with such an obvious needed feature?

Big miss to take this out. EverNote and others are probably better until this feature is added for devices besides surface or PC.

+100 for this feature

• buckeye_929 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Holding a business meeting in front of a customer while typing on an iPad is considered rude, so for business purposes the alternative is to use paper and pen. The efficiency of then documenting those notes electronically is greatly diminished and possibly never completed.
        If OneNote (still) had ink to text, those notes could be documented, organized, synced with your computer, emailed, and saved on my companies CRM database. There are other handwriting recognition programs but none that I've seen that have the capabilities/flexibility of OneNote. Without ink to text, OneNote has little value to me and I'm guessing other business people.

• mharr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is not just Surfaces that can convert. But it is only Windows Desktop version of OneNote that can convert ink/images to text.

You can (I do) take my notes with pen in OneNote for iPad, then sync to my Windows Desktop version, and can convert to text there.

I use OneNote for everything on Mac, PC and Android but fact i can t do this on my iPad pro means i think i will have to to switch to something else :(

• shierly Matrix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I guess the simple text recognition is only available on Surfaces, as it is built into on IPad you need to go through a different app which is available at a store until MS has it built into OneNote on iOS. Need any other updated information or problem's solution regarding iPad than visit here https://www.ipadsupportnumber.com/

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base