How can we improve OneNote for iPad & iPhone?

Being able to convert handwritten text on iPad OneNote to text

Being able to convert handwritten text on iPad OneNote to text. It seems to be available on PC tablet/hybrid version, why not iPad? Would be even better now with apple pencil of course!

349 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Robin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • LShep commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The fact that this option isn't there means it's not even a consideration as a daily driver when apps like Nebo, GoodNotes, and others have this out of the box. Honestly, how do you let little players overtake you with such an obvious needed feature?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Big miss to take this out. EverNote and others are probably better until this feature is added for devices besides surface or PC.

+100 for this feature

• buckeye_929 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Holding a business meeting in front of a customer while typing on an iPad is considered rude, so for business purposes the alternative is to use paper and pen. The efficiency of then documenting those notes electronically is greatly diminished and possibly never completed.
        If OneNote (still) had ink to text, those notes could be documented, organized, synced with your computer, emailed, and saved on my companies CRM database. There are other handwriting recognition programs but none that I've seen that have the capabilities/flexibility of OneNote. Without ink to text, OneNote has little value to me and I'm guessing other business people.

• mharr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is not just Surfaces that can convert. But it is only Windows Desktop version of OneNote that can convert ink/images to text.

You can (I do) take my notes with pen in OneNote for iPad, then sync to my Windows Desktop version, and can convert to text there.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use OneNote for everything on Mac, PC and Android but fact i can t do this on my iPad pro means i think i will have to to switch to something else :(

• shierly Matrix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I guess the simple text recognition is only available on Surfaces, as it is built into on IPad you need to go through a different app which is available at a store until MS has it built into OneNote on iOS. Need any other updated information or problem's solution regarding iPad than visit here https://www.ipadsupportnumber.com/

• Jim Gates-Patch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It’s such an obvious omission. All the vlogs i’ve viewed looking for the best note-taking app don’t rank OneNote because it doesn’t convert handwriting to text.

• Marcelo Lopez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps we should consider the several DOZEN similarly worded threads about being able to convert handwritten INK text to RECOGNIZED formatted (i.e. "ink to text") text?

C'mon Microsoft...it's about time!

Feedback and Knowledge Base