How can we improve OneNote for iPad & iPhone?

Option to disable autocorrect

I am a university science student. My notes contain many scientific names. OneNote autocorrect keeps changing most of my scientific names. Please, consider an option to disable autocorrect.

71 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Cynthia A shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

37 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am using one note to hand write notes I am taking while on the phone with customers in tablet mode. When I convert my handwriting using the "ink to text" tab, One note decides it wants to auto correct on the fly without any input by me. For example, customer's names is "Cherriel", which is what I carefully write down, only to have the program convert it to "Cherries". This is not from messy hand-writing, it's the program doing this over and over again.

You can remove autocorrect, if you go to: File, Options, Proofing, Auto-Correct Options. Then, change, "Replace as you type".
        I haven't found the option to eliminate the cap at start of sentence, but the option is likely there.

• student commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Found the switch to turn off autocorrect for spelling (thanks monia). But, it capitalizes the start of every sentence which does not work for me in a computer science class when UNIX differentiates between capital and lower case letters.

• Jisoo Yu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have tried all the suggestion on the post, still did'nt work. MS team should work on this and fix it FAST!

• Benson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

as i just use it to store some of my login name and password. It keeps annoyingly change to start with Capital Letter for the 1st letter. That is a stupid mindset of the team!

• Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is here since april 2016 and onenote is still happily messing up my notes, is it such a big problem to give us a simple option of turning it off? I myself use more languages in notes and half of my notes are underlined in dirty red making it so disturbing to read.

• Erik Van Nooten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is not a OneNote issue but rather an issue of too many 'AutoCorrection' slider to deactivate. The one you find in the General Settings => Keyboard is not enough. There is also a Hardware Keyboard where you need to deactivate. I have the impression that it works a little better but I still get pop-ups in black or in blue with a white background. Annoying...

• JazzieJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a teacher in a university. I tried to use oneNote for my class. The autocorrect option is literally driving me crazy, even for simplest notation such as part (a) of a problem. It insist to start the sentence with (A) instead of (a). I was very glad they made OneNote available for iPad. But this is over disappointing.

• Readone Mohamed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can´t understand why microsoft annoys their users and make totaly perfect app nearly useless. You don´t need to babysit us. Nice you make it free. But if you don´t change this, the app has no benefits. Or do you want to force people in paid subscription?

• Stephen Kirkland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you, Cynthia A for sharing this idea. I was searching the internet on how to disable the auto-capitalization, because sometimes, quite frankly, at the beginning of every bullet point or after I pressed the "Return" key, I don't want my word to be capitalized. I think I should have a say in whether my words are capital or not, dang it!

• monia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you're using this on the iPad, if you go to view, there should be a slider for spelling--turn it off.

Also, I would recommend turing off autocorrection on the keyboard (meaning you have to go into apples settings then keyboard then turn off autocorrection).

I'm not sure if this will help, but it's something.

Auto-capitalization when using a blue tooth keyboard is also irritating. My companies product starts with a lower case "i" (like iProduct) and every sentence that starts with the product name auto capitlizes. If I delete the first letter and re-add it, it auto-capitalizes that!! The only way I found to make it work is to type IiProduct and delete the leading "I"

OneNote is unusable for me on the ipad because it keeps "correcting" the abbreviations and acronyms I type when taking notes. I use a lot of acronyms in taking notes in meetings. If I can't type what I want without getting OneNote's "corrected" version I can't tell what the note means! This makes the app completely useless. Please, Microsoft, let us turn off autocorrect.

2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base