OneNote for Mac

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. We need dark theme for notes.

Dark theme is supported in most of the apps. It would be better if you support the same.

721 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

111 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Mac: search for tags

Need equivalent search system to Windows version. Being unable to search on tags makes the Mac version half as usable. What good are notes if you can't find the information when you need it?

Not looking for OS level tagging or fancy tag structures as in the other requests posted here, just want useable, equivalent features.

1,076 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

110 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. New apple pencil double tap option

Apple came out with the new apple pencil and the double tap feature to change to and from the eraser does not work on OneNote. Other apps have updated already to make this compatible. I love taking notes on OneNote but if this update is not made i may change apps.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Adding tags would increase OneNote functionality tremendously. Thanks.

As noted by several other users, adding tags would increase OneNote for Mac functionality to a significant degree. Thanks!

102 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have added tags in OneNote for Mac. There are a number of tags to choose from, such as To Do, Question, Critical, Call Back, etc. There are a number of other UserVoice threads that discuss specifically what more should be added, for example, searching and custom tags. Please go to those posts to add your voice. Thanks

5. Add Touch Bar Support for OneNote for Mac

Like you did with Word, Excel, and Outlook, please add formatting tools in the Touch Bar in support of the 2016 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar.

545 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

161 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Please allow the ability to hide the sidebar (its even more intrusive in the new update)

Please allow Mac users the ability to hide the sidebar! It's huge, takes up 1/3rd of my screen (which is already a small 13" to begin with). Everything else is great! But I am seriously considering another solution since my MacBook Air screen real estate is already very low... Thank you!

125 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for using OneNote and sharing your feedback! I’m happy to report that the latest version of OneNote for Mac, which was released yesterday, includes the option to resize or hide the navigation panes. Simply use your mouse to drag from the outer edge of any navigation pane to make it bigger or smaller. Or, if you’d like to hide the panes altogether, open the View menu, click on Navigation Panes, and choose the panes you’d like to show or hide.

7. Give the option to resize sidebars in the experimental features

It would be great if we could resize the sidebars in the experimental UI. It'd also be great if the users could choose to have the sidebar appear as a bar along the top of the screen in a manner similar to the old UI but with the new look.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for using OneNote and sharing your feedback! I’m happy to report that the latest version of OneNote for Mac, which was released yesterday, includes the option to resize or hide the navigation panes. Simply use your mouse to drag from the outer edge of any navigation pane to make it bigger or smaller. Or, if you’d like to hide the panes altogether, open the View menu, click on Navigation Panes, and choose the panes you’d like to show or hide.

8. Recent Notes

Have a "Recent Notes" option like on the mobile versions.

118 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Mac: Page Templates

Vote for this suggestion if you'd like to have page templates for your notes in OneNote for Mac, similar to the templates feature that is available in OneNote for Windows.

2,665 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

400 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback. Everyone should have this capability with the newest update.

You can now make any page within a section the default template for it, simply right click on any page, and select “Set as Default Template”.

If you’d like to remove the template for any section that has one, right click on the section, and select “Remove Default Template”.

Note the remove template option only shows if a default has been set, else the option won’t be available.

10. Add lined paper styles in the Mac version of OneNote.

Just like in OneNote for Windows and, apparently now iPad too, it would be great if we could have the option for ruled, paper style backgrounds. It would really increase the flexibility with which we can use OneNote, and make our work a lot neater.

84 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Mac: Custom tags

As a law student, the tags that are included in this version are completely useless without being able to search for them. Please allow us the ability to use custom tags or at the very least be able to compile like-tags in one place

2,552 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

546 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Mac: Allow multiple OneNote windows to be open simultaneously

The Windows version allows multiple OneNote windows to be open with the use of ctrl + M. However the Mac version doesn't have this function at all, which is a great shame as having, simultaneously, two windows open can greatly enhance productivity.

1,742 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

330 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have shipped multi window support for Mac OneNote. Here are the various ways to create a new window -

• View Tab → New Window
    • Application ‘Window’ Menu → New Window
    • Right click on Dock icon → New Window
    • Right click on a Notebook/Section Group/Section/Page → Open in New Window
    • Shortcut Key: CTRL + m (matching Windows)

Let us know if there are any issues with the design.

13. Mac: Insert screen clippings (screenshots)

Vote for this if you want to be able to capture screenshots in OneNote for Mac and insert them into your notes.

1,804 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

222 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Mac: Specify a Default Font & Font Size

In OneNote > Preferences... please add a place to specify a default font and font size. Currently, whenever I add text to a new page or a new container, I have to change the Font Size from the miniscule default Calibri 11 to a more readable 14.

877 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

142 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your suggestion and votes. We added the ability to set your default font and size on Mac. In preferences, there’s a “Edit & View” menu that can be used to set the default. Changes to the default font won’t affect existing notes, but will be applied to all future notes.

15. Disable auto-capitalization

I use OneNote for all of my notes that I take in class. In various classes, I use special symbols (Greek letters in my math course) or names (class or method names in programming) that have entirely different meanings when capitalized versus lowercase.
    OneNote does not recognize this, and I frequently find myself going back to retype (rather painstakingly, in the case of the Greek letters) various characters. I'd like the ability to disable this auto-capitalization; whether it is at the section, notebook, or app level, I do not care.

130 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

47 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. spell check

Mac Spell checker is breaking version 16.9 of OneNote, please release a new version

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have fixed this issue in build 16.10. We are sorry for the inconvenience it has caused you. To get the update, go to the Mac App Store or if you installed it as part of Office, use these directions, Check for updates in OneNote for Mac. Let us know if you are still having issues.

17. force quit

I just started using OneNote and I have a couple questions. First, my OneNote works okay but always freezes when I go to quit the application and causes me to force quit - every time.

Also, is there a way to search for tags on mac? I can't find the find-->tags command from the 'home' screen that tutorials talk about.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You are correct. You cannot search for tags on a Mac at this point in time. The best place to get answers on these types of questions is at Answers.microsoft.com as we have experts there ready to help. They will also be able to help you with your force quit question.

I’ve included a forum link about tags—https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote-mso_mac-mso_archive/onenote-tag-search-missing-on-mac-when-will-the/8cc76d48-87b0-4099-a444-c93e446a23a6
    that may help you out.

18. Fix how OneNote constantly freezes

Every time I try to click on a suggested spelling, OneNote freezes and I have to force quit. I really regret downloading the latest update. I used to love OneNote but now I can barely use it!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello-
    Thank you for telling us about this bug.

The best place to alert the team is to go to the OneNote area of the Answers Forum https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote. For this particular issue you should follow this thread in the Answers Forum— https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote-mso_mac-mso_mac2016/onenote-for-mac-crashes-every-time-i-use-spell/dafcd792-8b83-4549-8db3-9fd477194827?auth=1

UserVoice is only for product suggestions.

19. Include "Rule lines" and "Draw" in Mac Desktop version and "Rule lines" in Online version

1. Just like in OneNote for Windows and, apparently now iPad too, it would be great if we could have the option for ruled, paper style backgrounds. It would really increase the flexibility with which we can use OneNote, and make our work a lot neater.

2. Draw option should be included for ease of students and teachers for Mac

3. As we don't find these options on desktop version, at least these options should be available on Online version like "Ruled lines"

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Multiple windows

Multiple windows is not working on the new version (15.36). Could you please fix it?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have shipped multi window support for Mac OneNote. Here are the various ways to create a new window -
    • View Tab → New Window
    • Application ‘Window’ Menu → New Window
    • Right click on Dock icon → New Window
    • Right click on a Notebook/Section Group/Section/Page → Open in New Window
    • Shortcut Key: CTRL + m (matching Windows)

Let us know if there are any issues with the design.

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Mac

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base