OneNote for Mac

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

We do not troubleshoot bugs on this site. Do not post them here! 
Please visit the OneNote section of the Microsoft Community site or Contact Support for help.
  1. Fix how OneNote constantly freezes

Every time I try to click on a suggested spelling, OneNote freezes and I have to force quit. I really regret downloading the latest update. I used to love OneNote but now I can barely use it!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello-
    Thank you for telling us about this bug.

The best place to alert the team is to go to the OneNote area of the Answers Forum https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote. For this particular issue you should follow this thread in the Answers Forum— https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote-mso_mac-mso_mac2016/onenote-for-mac-crashes-every-time-i-use-spell/dafcd792-8b83-4549-8db3-9fd477194827?auth=1

UserVoice is only for product suggestions.

2. Include "Rule lines" and "Draw" in Mac Desktop version and "Rule lines" in Online version

1. Just like in OneNote for Windows and, apparently now iPad too, it would be great if we could have the option for ruled, paper style backgrounds. It would really increase the flexibility with which we can use OneNote, and make our work a lot neater.

2. Draw option should be included for ease of students and teachers for Mac

3. As we don't find these options on desktop version, at least these options should be available on Online version like "Ruled lines"

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Multiple windows

Multiple windows is not working on the new version (15.36). Could you please fix it?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have shipped multi window support for Mac OneNote. Here are the various ways to create a new window -
    • View Tab → New Window
    • Application ‘Window’ Menu → New Window
    • Right click on Dock icon → New Window
    • Right click on a Notebook/Section Group/Section/Page → Open in New Window
    • Shortcut Key: CTRL + m (matching Windows)

Let us know if there are any issues with the design.

4. Make the sidebar as small as possible.

The new sidebar for onenote is stupid. I don't want to have to scroll sideways to read my notes (i insert PDF and write to the right of them). The space should be for notes not for watching the sidebar. It is to big and takes up to much space inwards from the side. It was taking to much space before the last update but now it is totaly insane. This has ruined OneNote for me.

95 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for using OneNote and sharing your feedback! I’m happy to report that the latest version of OneNote for Mac, which was released yesterday, includes the option to resize or hide the navigation panes. Simply use your mouse to drag from the outer edge of any navigation pane to make it bigger or smaller. Or, if you’d like to hide the panes altogether, open the View menu, click on Navigation Panes, and choose the panes you’d like to show or hide.

5. You could make the Mac version of the Evernote import tool actually work on a Mac.....

You could make the Mac version of the Evernote import tool actually work on a Mac.....
    Currently the Mac Download link says it only works with Windows 7 or higer.
    Something of a fail on the special Mac version

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. one note 15.21 crashes

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:
    Exception: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
    Exception Code: 0x00000001 (0x00000000a4496a10)
    Date/Time: 2016-04-06 13:59:23 +0000
    Application Name: Microsoft OneNote
    Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.onenote.mac
    Application Signature: ONMC
    Application TimeStamp: 0x5703fa87
    Application Version: 15.21.0.160402
    Crashed Module Name: merp
    Crashed Module Version: 15.21.0.160402
    Crashed Module Offset: 0x00003328
    Blame Module Name: MicrosoftProofing
    Blame Module Version: 15.21.0.160402
    Blame Module TimeStamp: 0x5703f89b
    Blame Module Offset: 0x000000000006adce
    StackHash: ffffd521
    Application LCID: 1033
    Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi –

The best place to get support for this is the OneNote area of Answers.microsoft.com – specifically the Office OneNote area

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/search/search?SearchTerm=onenote&IsSuggestedTerm=false&tab=&CurrentScope.ForumName=Office&CurrentScope.Filter=onenote&ContentTypeScope=QnA%2CDiscussion%2CWiki#/Office/office_onenote/QnA,Discussion/1

For this particular topic, there is a thread in the Community Forum on this topic —
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_insider-onenote/onenote-for-mac-1521-160405-crashes/f77c6e89-54cd-4dae-9fd2-4662d27f4b5b

We’ve got folks over there who can help with questions like this, and we’re trying to keep the UserVoice site for new product ideas.
    Thanks for participating

7. My onenote keeps crashing

Error Signature:
    Exception: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
    Exception Code: 0x00000001 (0x00000000a3c41a10)
    Date/Time: 2016-04-08 06:29:24 +0000
    Application TimeStamp: 0x5703fa87
    Application Version: 15.21.0.160402
    Crashed Module Name: merp
    Crashed Module Version: 15.21.0.160402
    Crashed Module Offset: 0x00003328
    Blame Module Name: MicrosoftProofing
    Blame Module Version: 15.21.0.160402
    Blame Module TimeStamp: 0x5703f89b
    Blame Module Offset: 0x000000000006adce
    StackHash: ffffd521
    Application LCID: 1030
    Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0406
    Crashed thread: 12

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi –

The best place to get support for this is the OneNote area of Answers.microsoft.com – specifically the Office OneNote area

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/search/search?SearchTerm=onenote&IsSuggestedTerm=false&tab=&CurrentScope.ForumName=Office&CurrentScope.Filter=onenote&ContentTypeScope=QnA%2CDiscussion%2CWiki#/Office/office_onenote/QnA,Discussion/1

For this particular topic, there is a thread in the Community Forum on this topic —
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_insider-onenote/onenote-for-mac-1521-160405-crashes/f77c6e89-54cd-4dae-9fd2-4662d27f4b5b

We’ve got folks over there who can help with questions like this, and we’re trying to keep the UserVoice site for new product ideas.
    Thanks for participating

8. OneNote for Mac crashes EVERY TIME on startup

The new update has rendered OneNote for Mac unusable. It crashes on Startup every time.

This is not just a serious bug. This is a complete showstopper!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi –

Thanks for participating

9. crashes uploading pictures

crashes uploading pictures when internet connection is slow. file transfers should be improved to avoid making system useless when they don't work. I love the system and it helps me do work faster when it works but not when I have to spend an hour and a half on the phone with tech support after trying for days to open it again

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi –

Thanks for participating

10. Bug Report: CMD+Z function deletes large portion of notes, NO REDO

This has happened to me 4 times now and it's frustrating.

I used the CMD+Z shortcut to undo my last action, and the application goes ahead and deletes about 4-5 pages worth of notes (20-30 minutes of my note taking). I notice immediately and try to both REDO from the menu, and CMD+Y, but nothing.

I go in and check previous versions, nothing. The most recent version of my notebook also deletes that same portion and I can't recover it at all. I go into OneDrive and double check, but it's missing from there too.

I understand that this is…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Mac: Audio recording and playback

Vote for this if you want to be able to record or play audio while taking notes in OneNote for Mac.

394 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

49 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Completed  ·  Omeed Chandra responded

Thanks for telling us that you wanted to be able to record and play audio in OneNote for Mac! We listened to your feedback, and I’m excited to announce that we released an update to OneNote for Mac yesterday that adds this functionality. Update to the latest version of OneNote from the Mac App Store and check it out!

12. Bug Report: Tracking/inter-word spacing is incorrect in OneNote for Mac

The spacing between words (tracking) is obviously incorrect in the latest update to OneNote for Mac (15.13.1) but seems fine in the Windows version.

I can send screenshots.

89 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Open embedded/attached files on Mac

I need to be able to open .doc and pdf files that have been attached to pages. The Windows version does that. Please add this for Mac OSX.

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Good news! You can now use OneNote for Mac to insert file attachments and open them. We added this feature in the update released just yesterday. Please update to the latest version of OneNote for Mac from the App Store and try it out!

14. Mac: Insert PDF documents

Vote for this if you want to be able to insert PDF documents into your notes in order to annotate and/or preserve them in OneNote for Mac.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good news! You can now use OneNote for Mac to insert PDFs and annotate them. We added this feature in the update released just yesterday. Please update to the latest version of OneNote for Mac from the App Store and try it out by clicking Insert and choosing PDF Printout!

15. Mac: Support notebooks stored on SharePoint/Office 365

Vote for this if you want to be able to use notebooks stored on SharePoint/Office 365 in OneNote for Mac.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good news! We released an update to OneNote for Mac just yesterday that includes this feature. Please update to the latest version of OneNote from the App Store and give it a try!

16. Use OneNote for Mac in an On-Premise Sharepoint or Network Share

How about actually giving people the freedom to use OneNote how they would like. if they want to use it synchronized in the cloud provide that functionality(Done!). If people want to store notes locally on their computer or an On-Premise Sharepoint or file share LET THEM!!! provide that functionality! This program, which was awesome in Windows because of it's versatility in use is worthless to Mac Users. I am not sure why a Mac user would use this when they can use Evernote. Evernote Provides the ability to use their app in any of these methods. C'mon, really?

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for sharing this feedback! I have some good news—the latest version of OneNote for Mac includes the ability to use on-premise SharePoint notebooks! Please note that an eligible Office 365 subscription is required to use this feature. For more information, see this blog post: http://blogs.office.com/2014/10/28/onenote-gets-even-better-mac-ios/

However, OneNote for Mac does not yet support using notebooks stored on network shares. I’m closing this suggestion because the SharePoint request has been fulfilled, but please feel free to submit a separate request for using notebooks on network shares if you wish to do so.

17. OneNote for Mac keeps Crashing on start-up

My OneNote is running on the developer version, Yosemite Beta 10.10. Due to an uncertain reason, it kept crashing on start-up. This is very frustrating as I have all my important notes lodged in it.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi –

Thanks for participating

18. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good news—we added this feature in the latest update to OneNote for Mac released just yesterday! Please update to the latest version through the Mac App Store, then click on Insert and choose PDF Printout.

19. Bug: rename section on Mac

OneNote for Mac (latest version from mac app store as of 6-27-2015)

worflow to hit bug:

1. Create section "IOS" (uppercase "i")

2. right-click section, click rename

3. Change section name to "iOS" (lowercase "i") and hit Enter

4. error message pops up: "There's already a section with that name. Please try a different name."

So changing a character from uppercase to lowercase or vice-versa results in error message.

Workaround: name section something else, then rename to desired name. Example: "IOS" rename to "OS" then rename to "iOS"

Not a big deal, but would still be nice to clean up :-)
    Love the app,…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. OneNote Crashes on MAC

OneNote crashes after startup on MAC

Error Signature:
    Exception: EXCBADINSTRUCTION
    Date/Time: 2015-09-04 08:13:01 +0000
    Application TimeStamp: 0x55d78ad0
    Application Version: 15.13.3.150815
    Crashed Module Name: MicrosoftSetupUI
    Crashed Module Version: 15.13.3.150815
    Crashed Module Offset: 0x0000b1a8
    Blame Module Name: MicrosoftSetupUI
    Blame Module Version: 15.13.3.150815
    Blame Module TimeStamp: 0x55d78794
    Blame Module Offset: 0x000000000000b1a8
    StachHash: fffff3dd
    Application LCID: 1033
    Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for participating

• Don't see your idea?

OneNote for Mac

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base