How can we improve OneNote for Mac?

SAVE LOCALLY !!!!!!!!!!! (or WHERE I WANT TO (Dropbox,iCloud...)

If this does not come within the next three months, I WILL GIVE up my office subscription, I think it is ok to use a subscription model for software but NOT AT ALL to FORCE me in using the Onedrive ONLY model. If this doesn't change it will be bye bye OFFICE 365.
as simple as that.

220 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Philippe Braem shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • D. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is insane. You can't save/open/create locally-stored Notebooks in OneNote on Mac??? What is the point of this? Why don't you just allow local copies? I would also ask for Dropbox support but if you just allowed local copies, the issue would be solved.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add the ability to store notebooks to OneNote for Mac and for the iPad too!
    Just b/c we CAN store these notebooks in the cloud does not mean that we should HAVE to do it!

• David Farnell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Doro running OneNote does not allow me to set up cloud uploading for my OneNote files, as since 21-March-2018 the synchronization was lost between my pc and my Doro.

• DebbieD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

TOTALLY AGREE. Outraged!!! I like many people, even those deleted because MS doesn't want to acknowledge the level of outrage, will not use OneNote even though I paid for the 2016 version that is not compliant with "Truth in advertising" by stating allows local copy. IT does not. Forces to use MS cloud. We are being highjacked and it's the govn'ts fault in not getting more protection to consumers!

• Frustrated, Disappointed, and Angry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It reflects extremely poorly on Microsoft that customers have to specifically ask for support for such a basic function as being able to save or export our work in a a way we can store, secure, or move, let alone that thousands have been begging for this functionality for so long and it is still withheld. It never occurred to me that after investing years in the creation of elaborate notes under an account connected with my school there would then be no possible way for me to save, transfer, or move those notes for use independent from the account on which they were created. After hours of searching forums filled with people as frustrated as I am over this, I am now seriously questioning whether the use of ANY Microsoft product is worth risking this level of frustration as a result of this company's obvious deafness to its would-be-users' most basic needs. It appears that I, like so many others, have no choice but to accept the loss of the product of my many hours of diligent note taking, now worthlessly entombed within a Microsoft account to which I will lose access upon my graduation. Microsoft, you have lost my trust, and it shall not be easily regained.

• anna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Microsoft, Please add this function. I would like to use OneNote, but can't make the switch from Evernote because of this very limitation :(

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To this 20+ year tech guy, this is the most critical failure of OneNote right now.
    OneNote + Outlook on PC is great, but dumping crippleware on the Mac community smacks of the petty suppression / one-upmanship / school-yard push-and-shove when Steve & Steve and Bill Gates started almost 40 years ago.
    I have Office365 E3, and use Office on all of my 7-8 devices, covering PC/Mac/iPad/iPhone/Android. It's only passably usable on the PC.

Get with the times - build apps to be faster, cross-platform, and full-featured. Stop the crippling.

• Jack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just don't understand ignoring the user community and not providing this capability. At least let me open .one files on Dropbox like my PC version of one note can. What is the explanation on why this cant be done?

You and all of us know that being able to save locally (like in the windows version) is the elephant in the room. I notice that you buried the other thread on this topic by closing discussion after it had over 1200 votes. Trying to force mac users to adopt onedrive by deliberately crippling the mac version of one of your best pieces of software just reminds people of the old MS. Definitely not what you want.

• John Walls commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

his is far and away the most important missing onenote functionality, and that's why it works on the windows version, and why it was the topic with the most votes before you closed it. Why don't you just do what Apple does: Make your product better and charge a few extra dollars for it? I understand you want to push your cloud service, but this is a misguided way to go about it. Instead, why don't you just charge a higher price for non-crippled software. This sort of treatment of users might drive a few people to your cloud service, but the primarily effect is that it makes onenote look bad reinforces some negative perceptions about MS.

• D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for this. I've been waiting to see local workbook support for a year or more since moving to Mac from PC. Really unfortunate this still isn't possible

• Malgorzata Oleszak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just started my journey with MAC and from the beginning I am not able to move my most important and sensitive notes. I can't use cloud service, it is forbidden by corporate policy....

• Eugenia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How come we can't save to local hard drive!!!!????
    What?!?!?!?!
    please fix this ASAP

It's absolutely ridiculous. Can't agree more. Especially when my storage fills up, and the only way to get more is to pay for it.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base