How can we improve OneNote for Mac?

Open .one and .onepkg files on Mac OS X

Be able to open local .one and .onepkg files using Mac OS X.

My colleagues started using OneNote. They share their notebooks via a fileserver. I can only open them using OneNote for Windows. To use notebooks on Mac OS X, I'd have to export them via Windows to OneDrive.

Sharing via OneDrive is not an option yet as that would involve using a cloud service for company data which is not an option yet. Also: people'd have to setup their OneDrive.

178 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Patrick Mackaaij shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • JJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found a temporal solution, you need to use a one drive account, and then using the "show action" botton--> click on Open --> Open in OneNote, your current application starts loading the notebook, at least that works for me

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really one of serious issue, Note one should able to open on MAC without any cloud services.
    And moreover why MS forcing users to post note books to one drive.
    In fact if you use paid version of MS office still not able to open one/onepkg file one mac.

• RP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What are the Microsoft developers doing with their time? They can't (1) fine tune and release the "send to OneNote" feature to Outlook, (2) no print function exists that works (similar to Windows version) and (3) this glaring omission (opening a file with their own d*&n extension). I am sure there is way more than this, but these seem to be key features to be able to use the Office programs as advertised.

Any time Microsoft.... Maybe next decade?

• Grant Fischer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft come on already. This post was made in 2014 and its 2019. Are you ignoring all of our feedback? This seems like such an obvious feature to add to really make OneNote on mac actually usable for so many more people. Please just let us export and import our notebooks to and from Mac already.

same issue.. you have to personally share the notebooks and pages on OneDrive from your Windows first.
    And then open the shared Notebook on you Mac.

Bit Crazy

I am unable to open .one files directly from a Mac computer. I must save .one files to OneDrive and open the .one files from OneDrive. I am unable to browse my home computer to open a .one file.

Also I am unable to open .one files from a cloud service (Box) using a Mac computer. When I attempt to open a .one file from the cloud service I get the message: “The document “document name.one” could not be opened. OneNote cannot open files of this type”. I’ve read that if I save the .one files on a Windows to OneDrive, then I would be able to open these on a Mac but I have not tried this yet. This is a major limitation in the software and I think it should be fixed on the next update. I had a service call with Gurpreet Singh with Microsoft Global Escalation Services, and he has acknowledged that this is an issue and would report this problem to the software engineers.

• Christopher Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried the linking trick. Do you always have to double click the link? If so, that's not the best workaround. I was hoping it would just open the section and let me move it around.

I had/have the same problem. I have .one files from MS Onenote. I have found short term term solution to opening on Mac.
    1) create new onenote file on Mac
    2) create new page
    3) on new page insert link
    4) drag .one file to link
    5) double click on link to open .one page
    6) repeat for each new page

It does not work for .onepkg files

• Duke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is ridiculous you cannot open .one files on OneNote for Mac. I used to use OneNote a lot and have a ton of files that I cannot open now. It would be an incredible opportunity for MS if they worked to allow Mac users to open .one files with OneNote for Mac.

• Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seems like such an obvious flaw in your product - the harder Microsoft makes it for Mac users to utilize all of their Office products, the more those products become obsolete. I switched back to a Mac at my new job because the Dell they initially gave me was garbage. Even though all of my information was backed up through Box (which is the service our entire org uses) I can't open the files on my Mac or even on OneDrive.com. So it looks like I just lost two months of notes, which sucks. It also means that I will use either Evernote or Quip from here on. Great job messing up a great note taking app Microsoft!

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've 3 OneNote files on Google Drive that I can't see (Home and Student 2016 for Mac). Yet can see them using Home and Student 2013 for PC. What gives?

• Tuukka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

School has already Office365 and OneDrive. But teachers tend to share their OneNotes to Moodle or other services as .one files.
    There is not way to directely open or download and open these files in OneNote for Mac 2016.

This is a total nightmare. All the classes are used to get some stupid cut & paste workarounds with converted PDF files etc and not focusing to subject matter.

How come .one files can be opened in Mac's OneNote when they are saved in OneDrive and opened first in OneNote Online but not if these .one files are opened elsewhere from web or local directory??? Why OneNote desktop version refuses to open .one files then?

Sorry to say but OneNote for Mac is a joke and also gives me a massive headache!

• Björn Wegener commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It totally beats me that this feature isn't available. It's a clear sign that MS is desperately trying to force-feed their OneDrive down our throats. There is absolutely NO reason that would justify a policy than that. MS wake the f**** up and start making software for users again and not to keep your server farms busy. What a fail..... (you can tell that I am quite frustrated with this I guess)... But it has to called....

• Justin Donald Cross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the exact same problem. I have .one files from my desktop PC, and I need to access them from my Mac from inside a corporate network. To be locked into the cloud is not an option. Do I really need to move all my content to something else?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base