How can we improve OneNote for Mac?

Mac: Custom tags

As a law student, the tags that are included in this version are completely useless without being able to search for them. Please allow us the ability to use custom tags or at the very least be able to compile like-tags in one place

2,289 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Gathering feedback  ·  AdminOneNote Team (Admin, OneNote Team) responded  · 

Help us out!!! We appreciate that you have spent time on UserVoice giving us feedback on how to improve OneNote tagging. We’d like to hear more!!! Click this link to help guide decisions around custom tags. The survey will take less than 3 minutes. All answers are anonymous.

Survey is closed

463 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Aren K. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really lacking from Microsoft. That a key function (yes, custom tags are a key function because I can care less about a "movie to see" tag) is missing from the Mac version of a product for so long (looks like 4 years already) is embarrassing. Get your act together....

• Jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems to be a pretty simple message: if you want the best features and functionality, use windows. Sorry, but that doesn't work for me, so I'll keep limping along with this until something better comes along. Hmmm... I do really like Evernote

• Colton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you search for "OneNote for Mac", you'll see this issue pop up everywhere! This original post was brought up almost 4 years ago to the date and it still hasn't been included in any of the updates. I fear that MS will never make this feature available.

• Colton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand why MS didn't make this feature available in the Mac version. "Tags in the Windows MS OneNote is a hit! You can create custom tags and have a tag summary. Let's leave that out of the Mac version. They don't need/want it. Only seems beneficial to Windows users." Almost seems like a jab at Mac users. That's one of the most basic and best features of OneNote and they didn't put it in the Mac version?? Classy...

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish we knew if this were coming. Not being able to search for tags renders OneNote useless.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just moving over from a PC to Mac at work and this is a total dealbreaker. I guess I'll go buy Evernote. I wish I understood why the Mac versions of these tools are so scaled back.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add customizable tags to onenote for Mac. The ones that come with it are pretty useless. I would love to be able create Bullet Journal type tags. would make my life easier! Thanks!

I am moving between OneNote for Mac, OneNote for Windows and OneNote Mobile. I can create custom tags in OneNote for Windows, but not in OneNote for Mac. It makes no sense to have a cross-platform notetaking application that does not provide the same functionality across platforms. The list of default tags available to me in OneNote for Mac are useless for my purposes. I need to be able to open notes in any platform and tag these notes with metadata that makes sense for that specific notebook.

• Peter C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's ridiculous that there are no customizable tags for OneNote for Mac. As a researcher I need to find metadata on all the work that I do. The "tag" in OneNote is more of an action item list, not a tag for metadata as it's used widely.

Yes, Please. I use custom tags in onenote when I'm using my PC, but they don't work when I'm on my mac.

I will never switch from Evernote to OneNote without the ability to make unlimited custom tags. It's an essential feature for any note-taking app

• Meg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use Evernote for our small business because OneNote doesn't allow us to customize the tags on Mac versions. Several of us prefer OneNote for personal use and would really like to be able to use OneNote for the business, but can't because we need the custom tags that Evernote allows.

• Rebecca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need flexible tags. Included tags are not relevant to me. This is actually a make or break feature for me. I will continue with Evernote until customizable tags are available.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 23 24

Feedback and Knowledge Base