How can we improve OneNote for Mac?

Mac: Custom tags

As a law student, the tags that are included in this version are completely useless without being able to search for them. Please allow us the ability to use custom tags or at the very least be able to compile like-tags in one place

1,890 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Gathering feedback  ·  AdminOneNote Team (Admin, OneNote Team) responded  · 

Help us out!!! We appreciate that you have spent time on UserVoice giving us feedback on how to improve OneNote tagging. We’d like to hear more!!! Click this link to help guide decisions around custom tags. The survey will take less than 3 minutes. All answers are anonymous.

Survey is closed

407 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why oh why do I still keep hoping that OneNote will be properly supported on the Mac ? Perhaps time to just ditch it once and for all and switch to Evernote and relieve myself of this agony ...

Custom and SEARCHABLE TAGS. This has not made me resort back to windows as may be the business plan, this has just disappointed me in the product and made me think about my use of the office suite in general

• Matthew Crosby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be a core feature of the product. When it comes to organizing info, you need a way to designate some things in categories (via tags), while other types of info lend themselves more to hierarchical organization (notebook -> section -> page etc).

• Ed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tags should be creatable in mac OneNote and sync across all platforms.

This needs to happen. The power of OneNote is its granularity and ability to be tailored to any form of organisation. Tags are key to some systems, particulary as systems grow, and the need for finding information efficiently grows.

• Bar Studier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am the OP of this request. Glad to see they're at least working on it, 4 years on. I posted in the Insider forums that the Office for Mac is really a bastardized version the full Office, most especially OneNote. I hope that changes.

Filtering the list of ideas by "Top," they really should merge this one (#2) and the #3 idea, since they are the same thing. That would put this idea as #1 by a long shot.

• Guy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just moved over to using OneNote from Evernote (company policy). I really miss the tagging feature of Evernote - it helps me organize content that can span multiple topic areas and helps massively in organizing notes.

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nice that you are gathering feedback, but custom icons?!? Seriously?!? Take a quick look at Evernote to see how tagging should be done. It is simple. Free text tag. That's it. No silly icons. No silly tick boxes. Just any number of free text tags.
        This then allows arbitrary organisation of notes, based on tags.

• Shalimar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must have feature for me. I'd like to be able to search by tag. When I'm taking notes on a project and I'd like to just take an hour to make phone calls, I'd like to be able to pull up a list of all the items tagged "calls". Or perhaps being able to pull up all the questions I need to research the answers to. This would make organizing actions so much easier.

Thanks for considering this.

• AdminOneNote Team (Admin, OneNote Team) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you very much to all of you who took the survey. The survey will close today, Wednesday the 18th at 1 pm PST. If you have started the survey, please complete by that time.

Preliminary results indicate that icons around shopping and home activities are needed as much as business-related icons. 23% of you sometimes use the same icon for a tag but with a different display name. The display name and icon are the most important components of a custom tag. And I hear you, having the ability to create custom tags on the MAC is a must.

Nice - on a mac, using the latest Chrome (66.0.3359.117), the survey you sent on 4/17/18 will NOT submit and is asking me to answer the first few questions where you drag/drop the icons into the buckets, even though all questions have been answered.
        Also, echoing Chloe Gilbert's comment - I don't care about the icons, I just want the ability to search tags and display a summary based on my search with the summary sitting in a new pane on the right side of the app and visible at all times - the same as was originally in the OneNote for Windows a few years ago when I was using it.

• Chloe Gilbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From the survey you sent around it is obvious that the developers (you) dont use the product and have no idea how people want to use the Mac edition. We want the searchable custom TODO tags like in the Windows desktop version, I dont want a stupid tag of a sandwich or a rainbow or whatever. Please get someone to watch Stale Hansens videos on YouTube.

Please please add custom tags into Mac edition!! This is really one of the key things which is holding me (and perhaps many others) from replacing Evernote with Onenote.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 20 21

Feedback and Knowledge Base