How can we improve OneNote for Mac?

Mac: Add support for offline (local) OneNote notebooks

In some cases you do not want or are not allowed to upload your notes to a cloud, therefore you should add offline notebooks to OneNote for Mac.

1,993 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Marco Rossi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    No current plans  ·  AdminOneNote Team (Admin, OneNote Team) responded  · 

Thanks for expressing your support for local notebooks on Mac. We have no plans to support local notebooks in our other clients, since storing your notebooks in the cloud enables experiences that are not otherwise possible. OneDrive gives you 5GB of storage for free, but if you need more space we recommend subscribing to Office 365 which includes an additional 1TB each for up to five users.

691 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As OneNote team does not plan to add this essential feature, while today privacy is a strong requirement for a lot of customers, we should simply boycott their software.

There are multiple software that do the same thing as OneNote, and some of them are free. Just look to alternatives. Doing so will let us to make our voice count and maybe, eventually, Microsoft will consider to implement such a basic feature that we shouldn't even have to ask for.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not want this "experience". I don't want to be forced pay this subscription forever. I want to archive older notebooks on my NAS. And I want to be sure, that I can open them in 10 years.

• Klaus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear OneNote Team,
        I guess MS's best approach towards storing OneNote data is implemented in Office 2013, which I am using for my job. I. e. when creating a new notebook your are offered the choice of storing it in OneDrive, the local drive or another location (usually a server in a corporate network). This choice allows users to store data that needs to be available anytime on different devices in the cloud. But, if users are - according to corporate policies or customer requirements - not allowed to store in the cloud, other choices under local control are available.
        To resume, I would encourage you the reinstall this feature from Office 2013 in all Office packages. This will not harm your strategy to push cloud services forward, because freedom for choice will be another argument for using OneNote. If you force users into the cloud, you will push many users to alternative notebook products. I would like to continue using OneNote, but only when having the choice of different storing locations.
        It's MS's choice, but don't forget that freedom is a buying argument.
        Best regards

Please implement this feature. The notes of your customers are their data not yours, even Adobe's cloud service allows access to your files. Adobe does this!!!

To parrot what has already been said ... I do not wish to store my notebooks on any cloud. The application used to be an excellent way for me to manage large projects. But i would rather migrate to another application than be forced into a cloud storage option.

I work for a huge, international financial services company. We are not allowed to use OneDrive due to local and international privacy restrictions and things like SEC regulations. We have a fleet of designers on Macbooks in multiple countries, all of whom are keeping notes on paper. Onenote's drawing ability would make it amazingly useful for us to keep track of our sketches, feedback, and notes for product teams in other countries as, presumably, the typed notes are much easier to translate than the handwritten characters scribbled on the edge of a photo of a paper sketch.

Until Sketch comes to Windows, most digital designers are going to be on a mac+wacom system and hard-pressed to find a note-taking software that supports drawing.

Please reconsider as this decision is hampering designers--who almost exclusively use macs--from using *your* software as their tool of choice.

• anthony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please change your mind; We need an optional local, of line storage for OneNote files. It is only 2019, and some of us are still working off line!

• Christoph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just need a note book where I can copy some notes. At first glimpse oneNote does everything i need. But when I am not always online oneNote has problems with synchornisation and hangs up.

For me it is fine if the notes are stored on my PC, i don't need them anywhere else in the world. It seems i am not the client you are looking for - so i have to go and find a product fitting to my needs.

"since storing your notebooks in the cloud enables experiences that are not otherwise possible." does that concince yourself microsoft. How dumb do you think everyone here is? Yes it has great advantages but don't you think it is also an advantage to have options and decide for oneself?
        Your statement is just ridiculous.

I have my notebooks for business and private inside my private cloud and I see no reason for moving them to onedrive. I am not using onedrive for anything else, so where is the sense in forcing me to use it. Before I let Microsoft force me to do something I will switch to another notes provider. It is just sad because I really like Onenote

I like so much Onenotes but to be honest disable local disk on Mac doesn’t make sense. I have a Mac so now I will use an alternative app like Everynotes or Bear. Thanks.

I'll seriously pay $100 or more for the OneNote app if it will let me save my files locally to my mac.

• Lawrence Durham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Today I went through an exercise with MS support to get my missing notebooks. After finding out that I can't backup, import or use another 3rd party for sync, I asked the question why! Reading the comments I agree that the reason given is BS. With MS making their product available on everything you would think they would make it easy to backup or just move your data across platforms. I've been using Onenote for over 3 yrs on both OSX, Win, iOS and Android, but after almost losing my data, because I can't backup or move it easily has made me rethink continuing to use the product.

MS if you are listening, you have a great product, but don't make a dumb marketing decision to prevent users from backup and restore out side of onedrive. BTW My information was not saved on onedrive, but we did find it still in the backup folder on my local system. Which even then was an awkward set of steps to get it readable again in onenote.

Give us another way to backup not just onedrive.

• Lukas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Your cloud offering is great, but the data privacy and restrictions on my client, refuses me to use not approved locations like your cloud.

• Chad Lang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The existence of this thread is absolutely & profoundly asinine. This crippleware has forced my team to have to rewrite 50+ processes because they can no longer be accessed in the local OneNote format.

DO NOT EMAIL ME.

• Ron S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This thread has been going on for three and one-half years. And still, Microsoft has not offered any sensible rationale for not implementing local storage for onenote files. (The rationale offered about "experiences not possible with local storage" is total b.s., when you consider that ALL of the other Office Products (Word, Excel) DO offer local storage. Amazingly enough, one can also use the other office applications with Onedrive as well as local storage.

If MS were really concerned about the amazing experience of using OneDrive exclusively, why not also make OneNote work with other cloud providers: Box, iCloud, Google, whatever.

Here is what I would find refreshing: Microsoft tells us the REAL reason for forcing all OneNote users to use OneDrive. Perhaps, the MS Board of Directors said so? Or maybe the Onedrive utilization numbers are bad, and they need to be improved.

The truth, and not some b.s. about unique experiences, would truly be wonderful.

Love OneNote, heavy daily user. Not being able to back up my notebooks locally is a solid reason not to use it.

• G. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OneNote for PC contained in Office Pro Plus 2016 will save to the computer. The Cloud is not required. So why is the cloud the only option for saving OneNote for Mac that's from Office Home and Business 2016? Looks like Microsoft went out of it's way to not be as user friendly on a Mac. Could it be that they think this will cause people to buy PCs?! Note gonna happen. That said, there's one slightly annoying work around on a Mac. Sign in, create all the Notebooks with the required names that you want and then log out. You can't change the Notebook names, but you can use them and edit them as you want. If you create enough Notebooks and have names that will work with anything you might need in the future, you shouldn't ever need to log in to MS again. Still, since the proper functionality IS available for PC, it's obvious someone went out of their way to NOT have the same functionality for Mac.

• JimS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since when is reducing user features for an application a good idea?!? Since all business decisions are based on $$ - how does MS stand to benefit from this?? What deals do they have, and with whom, to share the data they store?!? F#*K!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 34 35

Feedback and Knowledge Base