How can we improve OneNote for Mac?

Mac: Add support for offline (local) OneNote notebooks

In some cases you do not want or are not allowed to upload your notes to a cloud, therefore you should add offline notebooks to OneNote for Mac.

1,994 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Marco Rossi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    No current plans  ·  AdminOneNote Team (Admin, OneNote Team) responded  · 

Thanks for expressing your support for local notebooks on Mac. We have no plans to support local notebooks in our other clients, since storing your notebooks in the cloud enables experiences that are not otherwise possible. OneDrive gives you 5GB of storage for free, but if you need more space we recommend subscribing to Office 365 which includes an additional 1TB each for up to five users.

662 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where is he? Where is the guy? The guy who is putting me through this **** trying to open my Notebooks when I'm not allowed to save to the cloud? This hard, stubborn push for "cloud-only" is ridiculously not thought through and not ready for prime time. The IT industry and the enterprises they support have far too many years of legacy systems and implementations to *just move* to the cloud. Even Amazon's migration to the cloud courses, my instructor said thinking you can make a business decision to go cloud only is absurd. All your doing with this decision is screwing people out of a lot of work, or forcing developer types like myself to find hacks to read OneNote files or develop something to parse and migrate them to something NOT Microsoft and Windoze. F#CK!!!

• A.D. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ridiculous... I can understand that Microsoft wants to support its cloud and OS, but restricting the use of OneNote to cloud-only is unbelievable! Removing one of the fundamental functions of a file editing program... It should be my choice whether to use the cloud or the local storage.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, secure environments where OneDrive would be considered a non business approved cloud solution will not be able to use OneNote for Mac at all. Great job Microsuck. You need to reconsider this idiotic decision.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I appreciate the OneNote Team's talking point on enabling a certain cloud experience, but it would seem this should be an individual decision. I have no interest in having any enhanced could experience for my personal and corporate proprietary data and do not want that stored in a cloud (somewhere). I want the data to reside only on my local drive that is encrypted and only accessible by me and applications that I've allowed for appropriate backup. It's unclear what harm comes from allowing this capability.

And lastly, it's disappointing (and frustrating) that after many ears of stored information in one note on my windows machine I have to abandon those notebooks now in search of a way to convert the notebooks I absolutely need to another product that supports this basic need.

• Lou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

By company policy I cannot save documents to the cloud. This feature is really needed on the mac. Please fix this and allow us to save one note documents locally.

• Fzarpo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Imagine if they stopped allowing Office for Mac users to save documents and spreadsheets locally.

Not hard to guess how their customers would react.

This, is no different.

I enjoyed using Circus Ponies Notebook, which unfortunately went out of business. Despite them calling MS OneNote IIRC "craptastic" I tried it on a customer's PC on a consulting gig and it was a useful tool. Now on my 2017 Macbook Pro I already have it installed and after I start using it, I realize it is uploading everything to the Microsoft servers and doesn't even let me save it in a local file. I do not want my files to be sent into cloud services and I must have a local file, the backup and control of which I am fully in control. This is unacceptable and I will immediately switch to a competitor. Luckily there are a number of alternatives, easily found by Googling onenote alternative mac.

• Gsazraetr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Outrageous.

Having offline capabilities in fact enhances OneNote's merits as a freeform note-taking tool.

Microsoft lately touts availability of fully functional, quality versions of its programs for all major platforms. "Doesn't matter what OS you use, you'll still have your Microsoft app" as it were.

Then to leave it out for all customers of possibly your only application to not have serious comparable alternatives? You must reconsider.

• Carl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"storing your notebooks in the cloud enables experiences that are not otherwise possible". I'm sorry you had to write that, hope you feel better.

But seriously, that is ridiculous. The only experience this enables for me is moving to a competitor. Please change your mind.

"enables experiences that are not otherwise possible" => LOL
        well then, byebye greedy data kraken Microsoft.

This is about corporate policy. I was very happy to find OneNote to be available just to be super disappointed to realize it stores only to cloud.

This is ridiculous I want to save my files locally. I can not always access Cloud files from everywhere due to policies, restrictions or not having internet. Or maybe I woudl just like to put them on a non Microsoft cloud. How can I move them if I were to switch Microsoft cloud accounts. You need to provide a user a way to save their data. because of this I will likely be moving off one note to something more open.

• Mel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been a OneNote user for many years and just installed Office 365 on my MacBook. Since Word, Excel & PowerPoint can have full functionality offline, why is OneNote any different? This will limit my ability to use OneNote as I would like. Interested to know what the roadmap looks like

Why do you offer local storage to Windows users but prohibit it from Mac users?
        This is absurd. Please treat all customers equally.

I have my OneNote subscription through my University although they do not have sharepoint organised. Am I able to set up a One Drive then link it to my subscription?

Aside- I'm also quite annoyed that I wasn't even informed this is a known issue. I'm clicking on this 'Where' box to save my OneNote and not getting an error, just a loading symbol then nothing...
        At LEAST, add an error message informing why you can't save. Just wasted my time searching for this answer which I found via a different thread from poor Dorothy.
        https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote-mso_mac-mso_mac2016/i-am-unable-to-save-onenote-anywhere-i-would/23c14910-85b9-4175-9cff-657becf67496

• Vic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Only 642 complaints before mine? Since only 5% of people actually take the time to voice their complaint, imagine how many One Note users are upset about this?

Our company LIVES on One Note. Like many other companies though, we have strict regulations that forbid us from saving any documents in an online repository of any kind like One Drive, Box, etc.

By preventing us from accessing all of the notebooks on our corporate NAS appliances, Microsoft has basically ruined thousands hours of combined effort to build the corporate knowledge base we had, using One Note. It will now put pressure on us to look for a competing product and ultimately leave Microsoft One Note alogether.

Please Microsoft - don't leave this product half baked on the shelf like this. It needs to be finished properly, to give the mainstream One Note product the continued success and accolades it receives today.

I just lost 4 years of notes from my bachelor and master due to updating my one note, and according to you, there is no way of recovering files when this happens? Clearly One note and your cloud storing services are not for me, or any other student, or generally person who cannot afford to lose important notes.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 33 34

Feedback and Knowledge Base