How can we improve OneNote for Mac?

Mac: Add support for offline (local) OneNote notebooks

In some cases you do not want or are not allowed to upload your notes to a cloud, therefore you should add offline notebooks to OneNote for Mac.

1,994 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Marco Rossi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    No current plans  ·  AdminOneNote Team (Admin, OneNote Team) responded  · 

Thanks for expressing your support for local notebooks on Mac. We have no plans to support local notebooks in our other clients, since storing your notebooks in the cloud enables experiences that are not otherwise possible. OneDrive gives you 5GB of storage for free, but if you need more space we recommend subscribing to Office 365 which includes an additional 1TB each for up to five users.

621 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a real dirty move by MS.

If this is the way they are going with there products I am going to avoid MS like the bubonic plague.

Dear OneNote Team, your "no current plans" response to the 1,994 voted topic is ridiculous. Did you even read (i.e. LISTEN) to the customer. We can't or may not want to upload some things. Also, I have other OneNote files that are not in the cloud. OneNote was the thing keeping me subscribed to Office365 (I'm perfectly happy with Pages/Numbers and Google Docs/Spreadsheets), so now I'm cancelling.

• Buh Bye! commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a corporate IT admin controlling both Mac and Windows user devices in our offices globally I unfortunately may not be able to support this product any longer. Forcing individuals to use your cloud just because they are on a Mac version is ridiculous and a bad business ploy, if you were seriously talking about removing the ability to save locally and forcing people to use the cloud, you would do it to your Windows versions as well. Some businesses can NOT use the cloud for many reasons (cost, regulatory... etc.), and unfortunately for you, my Mac and Windows are all one team... my team... a team that now can't collaborate like they used to. I can't really tell you what to do but I can show you by not spending my companies money on this product anymore. There are many companies that are making alternatives to your products these days... why you would want to **** off your customers and force them to your competitors is beyond me but hey it's your profit margin loss not mine.

• Buh Bye! commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a corporate IT admin controlling both Mac and Windows user devices in our offices globally I unfortunately may not be able to support this product any longer. Forcing individuals to use your cloud just because they are on a Mac version is ridiculous and a bad business ploy, if you were seriously talking about removing the ability to save locally and forcing people to use the cloud, you would do it to your Windows versions as well. Some businesses can NOT use the cloud for many reasons (cost, regulatory... etc.), and unfortunately for you, my Mac and Windows are all one team... my team... a team that now can't collaborate like they used to. I can't really tell you what to do but I can show you by not spending my companies money on this product anymore. There are many companies that are making alternatives to your products these days... why you would want to **** off your customers and force them to your competitors is beyond me but hey it's your profit margin loss not mine.

• Dan Barber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ridiculous plan Microsoft...lots of businesses do not want proprietary information on your "secure" cloud. Also, businesses working military/gov't contracts cannot use cloud computing due to regulatory restrictions...losing out on a lot of customers with this decision.

I cannot open important notes made in the past anymore! Also I paid for Office including OneNote were it was said by Microsoft that local documents can be opened with the paid one (feature was listened in the feature list before paying). But No, not possible and not available. By this Microsoft turns the best note into a useless sh** --> going to alternative ones! Return of paid product.

Microsoft OneNote Team, is there any updates on this since your last post was over a year ago? Have plans changed?

• kf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Typical response from a non-customer-centric company like Microsoft. I'm finding an alternative. On Mac, use GrowlyNotes...it's very similar and allows offline files.

• Deb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I deal with information that cannot be shared. That means that "the cloud" is not an option for me, but One Note would be absolutely wonderful to use. Please Microsoft, please consider giving Mac users the same option that you give Windows users.

I have a feeling Microsoft wants you to use their OneDrive system so they or a 3rd party can snoop around your files. Souds like BIG BROTHER is out there so that nothing is off limits to them////

• Sam Barrett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

thats so stupid, i can't experience anything because of the policy restricting me from using your cloud. so dumb

Admin thanks a lot. How about giving people a choice? Whenever I have OneNote opened my internet grinds to a virtual stop making it impossible to use. You guys have really blown it. I will definitately consider ditching MS OneNote if a better alternative comes thatallows offline storage.

Microsoft is clearly gambling that companies will embrace the cloud for ALL storage, sensitive or otherwise. This certainly worked for the irresistible push for BYOD on corporate networks. However, the question is: will companies be willing to place sensitive data in the cloud when MS can change their policy at any time and thereby put all the data at risk? Many companies will not accept this risk where the only alternative is to remove all of the data from the MS cloud (which may not be possible).

Good luck with this MS... you may pick up the consumers and small business, but at what cost?

• myzinsky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This argument makes no sense, Why are you supporting it on windows then? So sad ...

• Neo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely RIDICULOUS that there's no way to use OneNote locally. I DO *NOT* want your stupid cloud features! I never needed them before and never will! I PAID FOR OFFICE, I DID NOT download some freebie OneNote app that is only free in order to bludgeon me onto your cloud crap. F*** the cloud - GIVE ME LOCAL STORAGE OR GIVE ME DEATH! Of course, that's where Office 2016 is going to die, in my trash, as I'll never buy this crap again. No more lazy outlays of cash for Alpha Hotels like MS. Pages, Numbers and Keynote will have to do and they open and save as Microtrash Office formats so I can work with those shills still in the goddamn MS matrix...
        For notes, I'll just use TextEdit RTF format - Apple doesn't force use of iCloud for that and it's also "free" (with my Mac)!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 31 32

Feedback and Knowledge Base