How can we improve OneNote for Mac?

Mac: Drawing (Annotating, Highlighting and Handwriting)

Functions such as the pen, can be really important when trying to get a certain idea, which can't be expressed so well through pure words, in OneNote.
Brining this to the Mac would be very useful for a plethora of people for a variety of tasks and it is for many a vital feature.
*UPDATE* We edited this item to remove shapes as we just released that for Mac in 15.18. We left the voting total in place. See more details here http://bit.ly/1m1CTUA

Original description:
Functions such as the pen and shapes can be really important when trying to get a certain idea, which can't be expressed so well through pure words, down on OneNote.

Brining this to the Mac would be very useful for a plethora of people for a variety of tasks and it is for many a vital feature.

2,422 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Completed  ·  AdminOneNote Team (Admin, OneNote Team) responded  · 

Today, we’re launching ink in OneNote for Mac. Now you can write, draw and highlight with tools on the new Draw tab using your mouse or trackpad. You can also use your third-party drawing tablet or display that uses a pen or stylus to write, draw and erase –just like pen and paper. And we’ve added lined pages and grids as a background option to help keep your new handwriting and drawings neat and tidy. to view more information about this, go to https://blogs.office.com/2016/07/21/onenote-july-roundup/?Ocid=1.%20Owned%20NA%20(Reactive)_Social_TWITTER_Office_20160721_523421406

373 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Saad Khan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! Also, anchor drawings to inserted photos! I save screenshots of online notes, and i like to draw circles and underlines. When I move the screenshot/photo, the drawings don't come with it. This would be an awesome feature

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even in OneNote, there is to "Convert Ink to Text" feature. Drawing should be added to PowerPoint, like on the PC and integrated with OneNote.

There is a setting for the "jumping to draw mode" in the wacom drivers Pen -> OneNote -> Mapping -> Mode (Choose mouse or pen)

Same problem here. It has become almost impossible to use OneNote as it keeps switching to Draw mode automatically (wacom tablet). Hoping for a quick solution for this annoying bug.

Same problem with Wacom pen and onenote jumping to draw mode (as stated by DZ, Catarina, and Lynn Grillo)

• DZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Suddenly when I am using my Wacom pen, OneNote jumps to draw mode. HOW DO I STOP THIS? This is realllllly annoying and if I can't stop it from happening, I may have to stop using what has become my favorite note program. Please tell me how to stop this."

Yup. Research shows older Windows versions had an "advanced" preference to disable this. No such thing now in the Mac version.

Microsoft please don't copy all that has gone wrong with Mac, namely the dumbing down of preferences such the programs do stuff "for us" that we don't want them to do.

I have a graphics workstation but I use OneNote for text. I use the pen as a mouse cursor. I do not want it to switch to "draw" mode. At the very least, allow me to disable this "automatic" function.

Suddenly when I am using my Wacom pen, OneNote jumps to draw mode. HOW DO I STOP THIS? This is realllllly annoying and if I can't stop it from happening, I may have to stop using what has become my favorite note program. Please tell me how to stop this.

• Catarina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm with Lynn Grillo, Anita N. and Victor G on this. I use a Wacom instead of a mouse on my Mac, and now OneNote sucks. It keeps jumping to the pen . I now can't use OneNote - please make a fix, where I can turn Pen on and off.

• Heems commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm having the same problem as Helena. As soon as I touch my pen to the tablet to draw, OneNote reverts to text mode. The pen works great otherwise, just can't use it as I'd like for OneNote, which is very frustrating!

• Anita N. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm with Lynn Grillo and Victor G on this one. When you use a Wacom instead of a mouse on Mac, OneNote now sucks bigtime. It keeps jumping to pen mode all the time. It makes OneNote not useable at this time. FIX THIS PLEASE!!

• Victor G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really frustrated that OneNote for Mac now defaults to Draw mode when I use my Wacom tablet. I use it instead of a mouse, and now editing text is almost impossible. Really, really bad behaviour!

This makes OneNote unusable for me.

• Helena commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks soon much for this much-needed update!!

Huge issue with Huion graphic tablet though: each time I select marker/pen/highligher/eraser with my pen and touch it to the tablet, it immediately jumps back to text/select button and only allows those functions. IF, however, I select the tool with my trackpad and start drawing, and then continue to hold down the trackpad while I take over drawing with my stylus, then it sort of "passes the torch" and then I can draw with that tool. Until I lift my pen, of course. Then next time I go to draw with the pen, same issue.

The pen draws perfectly fine in all other programs, and a Wacom tablet worked just fine in the new OneNote.

I tried reinstalling the Huion driver, I updated my OS and OneNote, and can't think of what else to do.

PLEASE help :(

• Mick Mueck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just tried this using using an iPad Pro, Apple Pencil and AstroPad so I could do drawings in OneNote on my iPad. I tried to do some handwriting and fast drawing and I've found that OneNote's sample rate of the pencil is slower than in other drawing packages e.g. SketchBook Pro. If I rapidly draw a large number 6 in SketchBook Pro I see exactly what I drew. However if I draw the same thing just as fast in OneNote you can clearly see that what appears on the screen is jaggier and smaller. This has the effect of making rapid handwriting and drawings look a lot messier than in other drawing tools. Would it be possible to improve the responsiveness of OneNote's ability to track a fast moving stylus when using a tablet?

Thanks! I just tried it and it seems to be working pretty well!

Next - templates!

• Lynn Grillo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

** BIG PROBLEM** I use a Wacom tablet and pen with my MacBook Pro instead of a mouse. I hold the pen in my hand all the time, even when typing, and I rarely draw with it.

OneNote on Mac switches to the drawing tab and automatically selects the pen tool each time I touch the pen to the tablet! To type I must reselect the Type tool every time I touch the Wacom pen to the table, which is hundreds of time in a day.

The expected behavior is for the whichever tool I have selected to STAY selected until I choose something else. This behavior has rendered OneNote unusable for me with the Wacom tablet and pen. Please fix or provide a way to downgrade!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19

Feedback and Knowledge Base