How can we improve OneNote for Mac?

Mac: Allow multiple OneNote windows to be open simultaneously

The Windows version allows multiple OneNote windows to be open with the use of ctrl + M. However the Mac version doesn't have this function at all, which is a great shame as having, simultaneously, two windows open can greatly enhance productivity.

1,743 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Completed  ·  OneNote TeamAdminOneNote Team (Admin, OneNote Team) responded  · 

We have shipped multi window support for Mac OneNote. Here are the various ways to create a new window -

• View Tab → New Window
    • Application ‘Window’ Menu → New Window
    • Right click on Dock icon → New Window
    • Right click on a Notebook/Section Group/Section/Page → Open in New Window
    • Shortcut Key: CTRL + m (matching Windows)

Let us know if there are any issues with the design.

320 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • NofaceNoface commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was agreeing with OneNote Fan that even on OneNote for Mac v15.36 I had nothing. But this morning I updated with microsoft office updater that updated Word, Excel, etc. After the update, I'm on build 170815 and now finally multiple windows are working!

I still wish I could back up an entire notebook to PDF or some format, as I don't trust OneNote to not corrupt my notes. That's why I just use OneNote for non-essential notes that might get lost any time.

• OneNote FanOneNote Fan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding additional comment to say that with my OneNote for Mac v15.36..Nothing appears to offer a "New Window" option. NOT The View tab, the Window tab, or Rick clicking which only offers to Sync, copy or close a notebook, plus options for the navigation pane. ctl-m does nothing. PLEASE HELP! Is there some patch that's needed? OneNote is telling me I have no updates?

• OneNote FanOneNote Fan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Help! I desperately would like to have more than one Notebook open. None of the options above work for OneNote for Mac version 15.36. Please help!

• Bernard LinehamBernard Lineham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great work - thanks for adding this function! Working well for me.

Also - for what it is worth, I'm a huge fan of the new layout with the tabs down the side instead of the top. Make great sense on 16:9 displays, and I find re-ordering vertically much easier and more sensible than horizontally. Makes it much easier to deal with large numbers of tabs too.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you team. It works perfectly for me on version 15.36 (170702). One thing I did today is to update my Microsoft Suite including Outlook, Excel, Word and yay it works :-)

• Kryssi BensonKryssi Benson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

But but but... I don't want to have to upgrade. The new layout is ugly and stupid. I have ver 15.30 and I love it because I can have the rainbow-colored tabs across the top that I've come to know and love. I even got my boss hooked on OneNote and she had to do a ton of digging in order to download this older version of if because she wanted rainbow horizontal tabs like mine! Now I have two options: I can either stay stuck with only being able to open one OneNote window, OR I can upgrade to your stupid boring ugly new version. This hurts my heart.

• OneNote TeamAdminOneNote Team (Admin, OneNote Team) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was rolled out slowly on that build. So if you weren't in the first group it got rolled out to, you need to restart the app and make sure you do this connected to the Internet.

Let me know if people still can't get it to work.

OneNote Team

• Lionel LaskéLionel Laské commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just updated my version: OneNote pour Mac (French) V15.36 (170702) on Sierra.
        Works as expected.
        Great to see this feature finally included. Thanks to the team.

• OlivierOlivier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IT DOESN'T WORK:

- No "new windows" in App's Window MEnu
        - CTRL+m doesn't work
        - DOck icon: no "new windows choice"
        ...etc.
        => OneNote pour Mac (french version) V15.36 (170702) on MacBook Air (Yosemite)

• Jaroslav GergicJaroslav Gergic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am on the latest version of OneNote for Mac 15.36 which is supposed to have this feature, but the above described menus are not available yet. Anything I have to do?

• RyanRyan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really looking forward to this, big thanks to the Mac OneNote team for making it happen. Not on insider fast, but hopefully will be taking advantage soon!

• Javier PlumeyJavier Plumey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It'll make the standard built soon enough. For now, switch to Office Insider Fast and it's in 15.37

• Cecile HannayCecile Hannay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It doesn't seem to work for me. I tried all the options. There is no "new window" option.
        I do have version 15.36.

• KrisJKrisJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Beta : don't be ridiculous.

It is in the insider fast builds and ever since it appeared it has never disappeared.

As confirmed by others, you can get it right now by switching to fast builds but you ll have to live with the occasional issue.

It is always easy to voice empty criticism. A lot harder to think before you post something....

• BetaBeta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same experience. After update to 15.36, there is still no option for multiple windows. I guess we live in the age public misinformation. Thanks Trump.

• jeremyjeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Updates say it has the multi window but it's not there. Fake news. Sad!

• BoydstonBoydston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, after the update, there is still no "New Window" option as the updates says there is supposed to be.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

Feedback and Knowledge Base