How can we improve OneNote for Mac?

Mac: Insert screen clippings (screenshots)

Vote for this if you want to be able to capture screenshots in OneNote for Mac and insert them into your notes.

1,784 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Omeed Chandra shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

213 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand why when things work OK MS try to change them? wwwwhhhhyyyyyyy ???? 😡

• Ray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My comment to Support's answer below: Thanks so much... As an ex-MCP (NT/Exchange/Pro/Server) who finally gave up on PC in 2018 due to… Windows OS [woes though using Windows] since Windows 3.1 in college at West Point… it’s difficult to even stay with Office when so many features are missing. [Per your response] I understand there are 2 operating systems [which shouldn't be your go to answer for a feature request in an app... 2 separate discussions], this does not preclude coding similar features.

I do not want to switch to Evernote! Still waiting on Screen Clippings in OneNote… You have it in Word and PowerPoint and it's even in Excel when Excel should be the last choice for Screen Clippings… Isn’t it just as easy to get it in to OneNote. Of all the Office products #1 for Screen Clipping is definitely OneNote as it's primary purpose is note taking… #2 PowerPoint… everything else, last…

This is someone who was obsessed with Windows... even had the TMobile Wing before that OS team was fired to make a better Windows OS for phone (to bad Windows didn't buy Android)!! Had hotmail before Windows even bought it... Do I need to give up everything Microsoft?? I bought a MAC in 2018 and now I just decided to give up Android because Samsung made me angry with the Note 7 and it just won't catch up S7/S9 (screen. processing/latency/restarts, battery)... it's reminding me of Windows and now I'm switching to iPhone because android reminds me of Windows. Windows/Office/Microsoft this shouldn't happen... I shouldn't be giving up... Save us... Keep us... don't let us give up.

In case you are wondering this is the note I was responding to when I posted an Outlook question so I can add Screen Clipping and Print to OneNote in Outlook after attempting to cheat by modifying the Quick Access Toolbar which isn't even an option in Outlook... ahhhhhhhh come on help us please!!!:

How do I print to OneNote on MAC Outlook? How do I update my ribbon. Can I save my PC Ribbon and import it to my MAC ribbon. Why would PC Office and MAC Office have so many serious differences.

Hello Ray, hope you are doing great! My name is Alex and I’ll be happy to help you.

At this moment, there is no option to print to OneNote from Outlook for Mac and no option to update the customize the Ribbon. If you would like to see this feature implemented in our app just submit your vote via our UserVoice topic: https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/293343-outlook-for-mac/suggestions/15441291-customize-the-ribbon

We would love to hear your feedback!

Regarding the differences: Mac OS and Windows are quite different OS hence apps also work in a different way and have different design, features.

Please, let me know if there is anything else I can do for you? I am happy to help.

PS… Honorable Mention to Alex Wang MSFT who did at least try to help me:

Hi But2LuvJustice,
    We are sorry for all the trouble it has caused and sorry for the disappointment you feel. 
    Since Office 2016 for Mac is released, Microsoft is trying to make Office for Mac have the same function as Office on Windows and some features are added to Office for Mac successfully, but as you experienced, there are still a lot needs to be done.
    About the Side Notes from Outlook message,
    1. If the shipping tool is like to save the notebook as a file offline and sent it via mails, maybe you could consider export the notebooks according to this article: Export and import OneNote notebooks. This solution is available for Microsoft account(in another word: personal account). Notebooks stored in OneDrive for Business does not support export.
    2. The print to OneNote is a function is also limited to Windows. A workaround I can think of is sending the email to OneNote: Outlook for Mac now supports sending items to OneNote in Insider Fast.

• BattleWoLFc99 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One way I found that may be useful:

Install OneNote Clipper (For Chrome for me). Once it's done, click the button, select the area, double click, then Command+V to Onenote.

That helps me in most cases, but still, it is an extension only for Chrome(or Safari or whatever it supports), you have to keep your Chrome open in order to click the extension button, which is a bit annoying.

Hope it helps.

• TGC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you MUST add the screen clipping option for Mac. how else is one supposed to add portion of .pdf files to onenote?!!!

• RM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The PC version of one note also made this feature difficult to use, but IMHO this is the very core of ONENOTE. I take a screen clipping and it is stored for later reference, and the whole process used to take half a second. Can we have this feature back, please?

I don't really care what the keyboard shortcut is, but I want to hit the key, have the screen gray, highlight the rectangular region of interest, and have that section saved in a default folder in one note. This has been available since the first version of onenote way back in 2013.

Why disable the very core of an application?

One of the most useful tools! Why has it been removed? But it back, preferably yesterday!

This is such a wonderful note taking program. I absolutely love it and prefer it over Evernote and all the others. I was very disappointed not to have this option on my MAC though. Why would such a key feature not be included? I can't use this program without the screen clipping option. It was my main draw to the program both as a student and a professional.

Please, please, please fix this.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ALL: with the new macOS Mojave being released in September, the updated screenshot utility with give you a much easier way to put your screenshot directly into OneNote for Mac.

I thought I would try OneNote as a possible alternative to Evernote. Literally the first thing I wanted to do was cmd+ctrl+shift+4 to take a screen shot and cmd+v to paste it into OneNote online.

Back to Evernote!

• Devi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Insert a screen clipping in onenote on mac

Where is this feature?? Need it on computer offline!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

Feedback and Knowledge Base