How can we improve OneNote for Mac?

SORTING... PLEASE!

PLEASE...add the capability to sort pages by alphabetical order and/or by date for Onenote in ALL operating systems. This should be a feature of Onenote and NOT an add-in.

371 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kevin L. Nix shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey. Here are some of the results of the survey –
• Sorting is needed for pages, sections, and notebooks
• Sorting should persist while navigating, after close of notebook, across all devices, and be seen by people they share the notebook with
• Current OneNote users want the following sorts – alphabetical, date created, and date modified
• We heard from a lot of users who wanted to set section lists and page lists in a sort that they wouldn’t change often, but there was also a set of users who mentioned that they would want to live in a certain sort order, but switch to another sort order as an aid to locate specific items within their list

Thank you again for your responses. This information helps us understand the experience we need to build to match your needs.

20 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • John Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Idea... pull-down sort options for each notebook, section, and page, with an option to set globally too. One of the options is "manual", and always permanently store away that order such that you can always come back to the order the user last inserted and shuffled by hand. Let us jump to other sorts, such as alphabetical, date created, and date updated, with instant change to any of these sorts, including back to manual. If a new item is created while in alphabetical sort mode, for instance, then add it to the top or bottom of the manual order behind the scenes. The user can manually adjust the next time they choose manual sort.

• Yvonne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If introduced, SORT should be a selectable option and not an obligation.

I need to be able to sort many notes MANUALLY in order of work flow.

We were railroaded into a radically different structure when Tabs on Top was taken away.

Sort is basic technology that has been around for years - just like an excel column sort dropdown - we should be able to specify the sort required for each notebook, section or page.

Being able to sort only A-Z or chronologically would make One Note totally unusable for me, and I would think, countless others!

Please comment in support of keeping sort - flexible.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very frustrating that you still can't sort by date in OneNote Mac. It's the reason I moved back to evernote. Once you have too many notes, it's difficult to sort or organise.

• Jacques commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would help to add a classification (chronoligical, alphabetical on the pages in onenote

• mrakuni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have too many notes not to have this feature. I find it hard to believe this feature wouldn't be available.

• Jeff Rankine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The page sorting (or lack thereof) in the Mac One Note Makes the program almost useless. How can I find notes? I have to search. This is AWFUL HUI.

• Steve A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This simple but key function seems to have been requested and ignored ever since in came to Macs in 2014. What's worse is that new notes appear way down the bottom of the list. Not the top!

• Annabelle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such a basic feature that it's infuriating that it hasn't been implemented yet. Vaguely considering heading back to Evernote after switching from them to Onenote after their ridiculous changes. Onenote does a lot well but it's still missing so much that would make it actually usable (removing links from text, anyone?).

• Brian Braa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add sort capability for the Mac! Being able to sort notes by date and alphabetically would greatly improve the program's usability.

• di commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why can't you sort notes in OneNote for Mac alphabetically. It seems a logical thing to include

• Annabelle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would so adore being able to arrange notes alphabetically, it's very irritating that it's not already a feature.

• Humberto P. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good job! what's our customer supposed to do? Hire an assistant to sort out thousands of books?

didn't microsoft train everybody to be consistent with their products? every single Office product supports Automatically sorting out this oneNote doesn't ?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have an uncomfortable feeling you can sort tables in Office version but not One Note for Macs -- can't find a layout command -- is this correct or am I missing it

• Ken Goldlen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make it possible to sort, up or down, not only alphabetically but also numerically all items on a page whether it be a list, a table, or an Excel spreadsheet. That feature would be immensely helpful.

• Shannon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although the manual sort ability is quite useful for notebooks and notebook sections, OneNote significantly lacks in its ability to sort individual notes within a section. Please add the functionality to sort individual notes within a section alphabetically, manually, etc., as this would greatly improve the user's ability to navigate long lists of notes.

Feedback and Knowledge Base