How can we improve OneNote for Mac?

OneNote on Mac needs the ability to save directly to the hard drive.

460 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

30 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jawad Malik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The irony is that we as a family use OneNote at home and on our personal phones. But on my work computer and phone, it's a no go. There are hundreds of possible corporate and research scenarios where cloud storage will simply never be an option.

• Christian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also need to store the information locally, please fix it, otherwise i need to look at other software and i dont want to do that cause i like Onenote and used it for a long time but with PC.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i would also like to add to have this support for Mac--thanks for this topic

• Dean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been a big advocate of OneNote. My new company is a mixed shop. We could really benefit from OneNote but I can no longer recommend it due to lack of support for Mac.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't keep notebooks containing sensitive information unless local notebooks are enabled. This means I cannot use this software. You are losing customers left and right. Please fix this.

This is BS. I 'upgraded' to the latest MS suite, and had nothing but trouble and lost data. If for any reason your credentials are not recognised, locked out, inaccessible from another device, or not syncing, everything is lost!! Permanent inability for system to store password or maintain sync, means days of uni notes are now missing. MS help topics and helpline are useless in recovering what isn't anywhere to recover from!

• martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please guys, implement the future. i have a commonplace notebook (its like my entire life) but im still using another program, because i cant save locally!

I am a school student and it sucks that I cannot save my one note files directly to the drive... listen to your Mac users and give us the option to save directly to our drives!

• Anthony Rogers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use onenote for all meeting note taking on a Surface book 2. Great. Notes are all saved on the Google Drive Stream so accessible to everyone in the business.

My business partner just bought a new Mac to replace her PC. She now has no way to open up any of the historic client notes. Ridiculous.

• Jan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS has only one purpose, making money. They dont care about end users! Get it now people! They force you to use cloud because they yhink they can hold on to people that way. Kinda like russians think!

Mac Users should never fall for that, they dident in the past, so dont start now. USE some OTHER software.

Regards

I'd like to use OneNote to collaborate with corporate clients who are not allowed to save data in a MS cloud. It would be necessary to export and save the notes to a private, encoded cloud. It's not possible for Mac OneNote.

• Maxipes Fik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't use OneNote as it only works with the bloody cloud!.. WTF?! Why oh why the SW vendors forces such things onto their users? Who asks MS to develop this nonsense? Oh well, yes, password-protection.. - another useless PITA; one has to encrypt one-by-one every bloody sheet! What a mess.. Such a pitty, OneNote could be simply the best tool, I would pay for it - but no, MS forces me to search outside my MS Office products...

• Meg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We run a small business using Mac, but I've used OneNote in the past for collaboration. I would like my team to switch from Evernote to OneNote, but keep finding OneNote features unavailable to Mac users. Please make the Mac version as useful and useable as the PC version. For now, we will have to remain with Evernote.

We have a mixed PC and Mac environment. I find it ridiculous that you do not support local files in Outlook for Mac. I am an IT professional of 25 years and also have some InfoSec skills.

Please fix this!

• michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey everyone here. Just dump OneNote. Check out Outline for Mac. No effort or crazy setup to use your OneNote notebooks. Just simply do the standard, File > Open notebook... and select your OneNote notebook. Done, happy and finally got rid of the last piece of MS in my life. This house has no Windows... you know what I mean. ;-)

I need to be able to access and edit notes created from Windows and saved on the local network (e.g. my LAN home directory) while using my Mac. Requiring an account and cloud storage is a completely ridiculous requirement.

• Yvonne Gray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One Note (before the changed layout!) was at the core of the way I work and run my businesses.

It is essential for any online system such as this, to have the facility to have a BACKUP facility, and / or export to a hard-drive.

Please HEAR this!

Thank you.

• Frank Cottrell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I stopped using OneNote in 2015 because its file storage was not compatible between Windows and MacOS.
        Just tried again 3 years later and still OneNote for Mac cannot store a .note file locally.
        I need this so my Auto Backup systems can save up my notes files and also I need to edit my notes across Mac and Windows.
        How can Microsoft expect to keep loyalty to their products when there are such fundamental issues outstanding for so long.
        How could any professional developer think it is reasonable to store peoples work files in one location as nothing more than a URL pointer to a closed internal cloud file.
        Could this be a Corporate policy to punish MacOS users who rejected Windows - if it is, then remember: the company who listens and acts on user feedback to give the best service always wins in the long run.
        This is a perfect example of why Microsoft is continuing to loose dominance in the computer user market.
        Great user interface, but excludes Mac Users who also use Windows and need a unified application platform.
        Hopefully this issue will get fixed and we can return to using OneNote seamlessly on all our devices
        which is currently a false claim by Microsoft.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base