How can we improve OneNote for Mac?

Mac: search for tags

Need equivalent search system to Windows version. Being unable to search on tags makes the Mac version half as usable. What good are notes if you can't find the information when you need it?

Not looking for OS level tagging or fancy tag structures as in the other requests posted here, just want useable, equivalent features.

966 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

William shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

88 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tom Chmielewski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree. What's the point of having 29 tags to choose from in the Home ribbon if you don't have the show all tags button in Mac like we did in Windows to show all the tags from all my notes in a window to the right? Very frustrating to see such a key feature missing when my company forced me to migrate from Windows to a Mac as a OneNote power user

• Alano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Insider update is still not showing up even with the Insider Fast on.
        Also it would be nice to have a panel for the tags so you can quickly flip between pages of different notebooks or a Page Pin feature

• Els DP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Indeed, without searching for tags, OneNote becomes indeed useless

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same with me: the insufficient tagging functionality (also in UWP app!) is the biggest issue in OneNote. Of course I can try to model my own system using hashtags but this is not very comfortable, especially when you have big amounts of tags. For example, when I want to change a tag I have to go every single page. This is the opposite of efficiency and is very time consuming. At least there should be a smart hashtag system like in Workflowy. But in my view Evernote's tagging system is gold standard (ConnectedText is very good but a niche product). I don't see why not to combine OneNote's hierarchical organization features and free form editor with a smart and handy tagging system. This would be the best of both worlds.
        Btw: I'm also considering to switch back to Evernote. Just because of the tagging functionality. But I still hope Microsoft will bring smooth tagging functionality soon. Thanks a lot if it happens!

your problem of methodology than a lacking feature in OneNote ... the thing lacking on OneNote side is accelerating dull text search of hashtags indexing while the page is typed to search directly on lists of hashtags in spite of the full text

• Eva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello.
        I've had a lot of trouble using the search function in OneNote. Turns out the problem was using the § sign. The section sign (§) is a typographical character for referencing individual numbered sections of a document, frequently used when referring to legal code.

I am able to search words, but not a specific paragraph/section. This is a big problem seeing that I'm a lawstudent, and I really need to be able to find all notebooks with notes about the paragraphs in OneNote.

Could you please do so that I'm able to search for example "TL § 37". Because if just search for "37" it will show up in all laws etc.

• Alvin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes, please work on making onenote platform agnostic, onenote for Mac has barely the full functionality of the windows client. Furthermore, if you can't make the mac client more useable, then at least make the onenote webclient have all features available. The tags are a great feature, but what is the point of allowing for tagging, ie question tag, if I can't do a search through my whole notebook for that tag.

• Som Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. After categorising by Notebook - Section - Page - Note, I still need Tags so I can find a tagged topic in Notes across Notebooks. Even the ultra-lightweight Google Keep has Labels!

I do not understand why tags are included if you can't search for them. This functionality is crucial for me in both my studies and work. I had to switch to Mac from Windows and cannot believe that a feature this critical to so many people's workflow is missing.

• Ernesto Sanchez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cannot believe the find tags function is not available on Mac version. Makes me rethink switching to OneNote.

• Nic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is this still an issue? I just got OneNote 2016 for Mac. I cannot believe you can't search tags. It's pretty incredible. What's the point of tags if you can't search?? So annoyed.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base