How can we improve OneNote for Mac?

Mac: search for tags

Need equivalent search system to Windows version. Being unable to search on tags makes the Mac version half as usable. What good are notes if you can't find the information when you need it?

Not looking for OS level tagging or fancy tag structures as in the other requests posted here, just want useable, equivalent features.

1,069 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

William shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello
I’s sorry to hear there are difficulties in getting the new tag search to appear. We are investigating this and I’ll let you know what is found out.

Also, I want to let you know that the tag search may be hidden from your view depending on how your navigation pane settings were set. If you hid your navigation pane, [“View > Navigation Pane > Hide All”], the search button is not visible. For it to appear, you need to set you Navigation Pane View setting to either “Hide Section List” or “Show Sections and Pages” or use “Command +F” as someone on this forum suggested.

I hope this helps. Keep the suggestions coming as we are reading each and every one.

109 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was previously able to search for tags of my Mac, however, after the 16.22 release I am not able to. I have followed the Admin's suggestions and can only search plane text

I found it only works if I click on OneNote - Preferences - General - and under OneNote Preview - click on the checkbox headed up 'Enable Experimental Features'

Still finding this impossible to work - I have OneNote for Mac version 16.23 - tag search is still not appearing. I have tried all combinations of the navigation panel, can see the search bar but not the tag search. This is very frustrating. How can I get this key functionality working? Thanks!

I think this was added.
    If you press command F in a note, it brings up a search bar with a dropdown that includes different tags.

Hi! I have just updated my One Note for MAC to version 16.22.190211 and tag search is still not appearing. I have my full panel open and still nothing... frustrating!! how can I get this key functionality working? thanks!

• Susie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to search for tags is one step, but producing a summary page is a must. Please get it implemented.

• Gerd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks, works for me. It`s the right start but to use it finally I would need some additional filtering as others already mentioned. Simply because I get too many results to work with. Three kind of filters would be helpful:
    1) For Tags with a status (checkbox etc.) a filter for each status would be needed (e.g. checked/ unchecked task box)
    2) Show results only for specific sections/ group of pages
    3) Filter by a time period (only changed in last week/month/..)
    Thanks a lot for listening for the users voice!

Is there a chance for you to use the Help->New Functions screen like it is used in Word etc.? This would help to get notice of new functions. Without the uservoice I would not know about the tag search.
    Thanks & regard

• Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had to uninstall app then download and reinstall from Mac AppStore before it finally worked.

Huge improvement, thank you! However, how does it choose the list of suggested tags in the search drop down box? It would be nice if autocompleted when started typing in the name of a tag.

• Colton Pepper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the navigation pane visible which the search button but when I click on it, it doesn't give me any additional search options. It looks the same it did prior to the recent update. Unfortunately, I can't provide any feedback on the functionality of the update because I can't use it as it was intended.

I wish I could send a screenshot of what I see. The best way to describe it is that it looks exactly how it did before 16.20. I'm currently running v.16.20.181208.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great, that this long awaited feature ist finally there. But without the user voice notification I would not have realized it. So there is still room for improvements...

• TK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A start but not really useful in its current form. Needs to be filterable by "This week's notes", "Last week's notes", etc and have the ability to create a summary page from the results like on Windows. That can increase productivity. Getting the results of all my To Do's ever created in some order that I can't what it is is not useful. I got 2335 in my results.

• KarlSc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using a German version with 16.20.0.181208. When will you deliver a update?
    At the moment there is no new version inside AutoUpdateApp.

• KrisJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The feature is only exposed through the 'Cmd+F' keystroke.
    On Windows, there is a large 'Find Tags' Ribbon button next to the dedicated 'To Do' button. On Mac (v16.22 Insider build 190101) there is only the 'To Do' button.

This useful and long overdue feature is thus very non-obvious to find.

• David B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't search for all tags / show all tags, where do I even start with old notebooks?

Tagging is coming to Mac in the Insider builds, but it’s still not possible to distinguish between ‘unchecked’ Todos and ‘checked’ Todos.

• vanderwood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Non-ideal workaround: if you search for the tag name i.e. "source for article", you get everything that's tagged with that tag..

I daily use onenote for windows with tags on my work in a Professional way. I can search for it and i can customize the tags. What the ****, i cannot in Onenote for Mac. So it is NOT USEABLE!

I daily use onenote for windows with tags on my work in a Professional way. I can search for it and i can customize the tags. What the ****, i cannot in Onenote for Mac. So it is NOT USEABLE!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base