How can we improve OneNote for Mac?

Please allow the ability to hide the sidebar (its even more intrusive in the new update)

Please allow Mac users the ability to hide the sidebar! It's huge, takes up 1/3rd of my screen (which is already a small 13" to begin with). Everything else is great! But I am seriously considering another solution since my MacBook Air screen real estate is already very low... Thank you!

125 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

JamesJames shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Completed  ·  OneNote TeamAdminOneNote Team (Admin, OneNote Team) responded  · 

Thanks for using OneNote and sharing your feedback! I’m happy to report that the latest version of OneNote for Mac, which was released yesterday, includes the option to resize or hide the navigation panes. Simply use your mouse to drag from the outer edge of any navigation pane to make it bigger or smaller. Or, if you’d like to hide the panes altogether, open the View menu, click on Navigation Panes, and choose the panes you’d like to show or hide.

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want the old interface back! Is there a way to switch? It does not help if I turn off the "experimental features" :(

• GRGarsideGRGarside commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

View (menu bar or ribbon) → Navigation Options → Hide Section List and Page List

• Dan MillsDan Mills commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have you guys not seen the new feature they added in Experimental or Fast Updates? In the upper right corner of the window is a "double arrow" button that hides the sidebar and gives you the content in full screen. There is a "back" button that will reveal the sidebar when you need it. This is the best of both worlds. I love it!

• ShaneShane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is bugging me as well. It get's really bad on my second monitor that I have rotated into portrait mode.

But here's a trick, click the search icon. It gives you back a little of your screen.

• Daniel P FarrellDaniel P Farrell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is desperately needed.

But you can temporarily workaround this by entering search via cmd-f, it hides some of the sidebar, and for me at least the find sidebar is about half the size of the default sidebar

• Aaron CohnAaron Cohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I came here to make a very similar request. It doesn't matter to me where the notebook/section-pane resides, as long as I can minimize it. I should be able to remove everything from my viewing pane except for the note area. I spend a very small percentage of my time browsing through my notes, so the notebook/section-pane is more often a visual distraction than anything else.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Old layout definitely better on smaller screens. If new layout is to be kept then need a preference setting to select the old tabbed layout.

If new column layout becomes mandatory I'll have to be looking elsewhere - probably Apple Notes (not as good but more efficient on screen space despite the column layout)

Feedback and Knowledge Base