How can we improve OneNote for Mac?

Leaving (or option to leave) the section tabs at the top on the page instead of on the side

Of the new experimental features is the sections tabs moving to the side of the page instead of displaying at the top. This kills screen space as it takes a huge chunk or horizontal space for people who work with two windows side by side. If the feature is coming, please leave an option to revert back to displaying these tabs at the top of the notebook.

1,145 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Pedro Gomez shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

799 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Give option to revert to tabs on top old layout please. I hate the new layout and the way it was arranged in the original version was the whole beauty and magic to OneNote, the main reason I ever started and continued to use it for years.

I don't give a Sh** about 'consistency across MS Office programmes' - I prefer ease of use over consistency. Plus, overconsistency makes things boring. I called this >forced< change overconsistency.

• Melinda Crow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot stand the sections on the left OR the pages. I move back and forth between sections and pages as I work. Having them both open on the left is far too much clutter in one place, and the extra click to view the sections and then close them again is irritating to say the least. Plus, I still use older versions on other devices and it is jarring to make the switch from right to left when I work on my laptop. Change is good, but a better change would have been to give users the ability to arrange the screen the way that works best for them.

• Roxy Kugler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely hate the change!!! Please leave an option to keep the sections at the top. It is more organized for business purposes and allows for more work space. TIA!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be an option to switch between views, I'll start using OneNote again when there it's available.

• WantThatOldThingBack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is horrible!! I was using onenote 2016 for all my work notes, so i decided to sync up with my w10 laptop when I found out one note is free. if this isnt fixed i will be moving away from one note, such a horrible experience now to manage notes. Keep the horrible format for anyone that wants to use it but add back the old style with TABS!!!

• Jenna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Was forced to update when I received a new computer from my work. I need the sections back at the top! They were the whole reason I used/chose OneNote over other note-taking options.

• FormJeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tabs on top and notebooks on the side in a tree format to view the sections. Similar to the view available on Windows machines.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For God sake Microsoft.. I haven't come across anyone who doesn't miss the old style. Tabs have been removed and never came back so far.. it was one of the most useful layout on the market.. I am not a microsoft products fan anyway, it has been 10 years I don't use any apart from Word, Excel and OneNote and this was the exact reason I got rid of all other microsoft products.. Massive unreliability , no backwards compability !

• Dennis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really! Please give us the option to decide which view. I guess I'd like to switch between them. But I need them back on top! Or at least let me pin the notebooks section on the left. I need to drag&drop pages from notebook to notebook. Please be so kind!

• M. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The tabs on the top need to come back - on the side is horrible experience.
        I hate it!!!
        Make it flexible that the user can chose to have the tabs on the left or top if that is needed, but I want them only on the top while it is much better experience, easier to find my data and take much less of the width of my screen.
        On the left makes no sense at all....!!!

• Denise Burke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I upgraded to Windows 10 and was disappointed to find this forced very undesirable changes to my OneNote. I am an Office 365 E3 business owner with numerous personal and business notebooks. The paragraph spacing is gone. Paragraph formatting is a bit more than left, right, and center. The pin to top is gone. I will start migrating away from this **** as I no longer feel that it can satisfy my needs. It was a wonderful program. It is a shame that Microsoft has chosen to take the features away that made it great. As software, we expect more over time and not less, duh! I hate this version, passionately.

• gmalone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

sorry my recent comment was for windows not mac - they have now ruined both

• gmalone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow option for sections to be on top and pages on left. This modified setup is awful to an product that was working so great. We moved our business to this for shared note tracking and information and this is now not usable :( Very disappointed and frustrated!

• Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have always been hesitant to update programs I like. Today I decided to do it and IT TOTALLY RUINED MY ONENOTE EXPERIENCE. I love the section tabs displayed at the top. Now its ****. CHANGE BACK NOW.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 39 40

Feedback and Knowledge Base