How can we improve OneNote for Mac?

Leaving (or option to leave) the section tabs at the top on the page instead of on the side

Of the new experimental features is the sections tabs moving to the side of the page instead of displaying at the top. This kills screen space as it takes a huge chunk or horizontal space for people who work with two windows side by side. If the feature is coming, please leave an option to revert back to displaying these tabs at the top of the notebook.

1,522 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Pedro Gomez shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1019 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ridiculous!!!!! Why would Microsoft take away the ability to view tabs on top!!!! ARGGGH!

Frustration and disappointment when I opened OneNote on Windows 10!
        This is a valued tool for me and with the Windows 10 version, it is clumsy and cumbersome to use and I curse it. Considering going back to my old computer that has OneNote 2016.
        Please provide the option to move the section tabs back to the top and move the page list to the right side of the screen.

this is so annoyingly stupid, I am still using onenote 2016 just for this one particular reason.

• Linh Quach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any mature development company should have a requirement to not backslide upon release of a new version of an application. I'm not sure who was surveyed but given the dramatic amount of studies that have been done, we know there is no one best way to do anything. Everyone has a preference so it seems foolish to change where the tabs were originally placed without offering users a way to customize back to what they prefer. Especially for such a large development company that should recognize the large diversity in the way people work.

I can't believe in 2019 we can't do such a basic customisation! OneNote is going backwards!

I HATE the tabs on the left. I recently switched from OneNote on a PC to OneNote on a Mac. I can't believe that they would take away the option to put the tabs on the top. So Disappointing. I might switch to a different program.

I would appreciate if Microsoft could give us an option regarding the tabs on top. Having everything on the left takes a lot of space and you cannot see your sections readily (compact view).
        Listen to the people. Do not change things for the sake of it.

• JR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Regardless of "user testing", there should be an option to have tabs on top. Frees up screen space and allows me to view section + pages in a compact view.

Please return the section tabs to the TOP of the page. Having them on the left is awful!

Please allow users to toggle between top and side tab views. I am currently shopping for a different product to use because I was forced into a change that makes using One Note annoying. Adjusting Navigation Panes adds extra steps for me because I move through multiple Notebooks for each department and I would have to toggle this option on and off all day. Shame that this one negative turned me from a heavy user to someone that wants nothing to do with it.

I have used OneNote for many years and have my whole team using it. BUT, I also have personal tabs that I do not need my team to see. I don't like it when Microsoft feels they know how to do my work better than I do.

I also think the tabs on top layout is a lot more intuitive. Please let us use that.

• ukcommando commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Forcing this change is so short sighted. At the very least, you should have provided a choice of layouts. I've used One note on and off in the past, but recently decided to have a close look at OneNote vs Evernote vs other products to settle on a good tool for a host of data / notes. This bad decision by MS is a massive black mark IMHO

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely loathe the new tabs running down the left hand side. It is anti-intuitive and has put me off this app that I loved and adored. My eyes literally have a hard time scanning my notes now. Please listen to your clients and customers who LOVE(d) this App and provide us with the option to revert to the old horizontal designs.

Please give us the option to have the tabs on top in web. Hard to to understand.

Can't stand the tabs to run down the side of the page....it slows me WAY down in my work.

• Cheryll Yowell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please at least give users the option to move the tabs back to the top of the page. I HATE THE SIDE VIEW, and am seriously considering another option other than OneNote.

• StaceyDawnn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please give us the option to move the tabs back up to the top - I get so many questions about this!!!!!!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 50 51

Feedback and Knowledge Base