How can we improve OneNote for Mac?

Leaving (or option to leave) the section tabs at the top on the page instead of on the side

Of the new experimental features is the sections tabs moving to the side of the page instead of displaying at the top. This kills screen space as it takes a huge chunk or horizontal space for people who work with two windows side by side. If the feature is coming, please leave an option to revert back to displaying these tabs at the top of the notebook.

1,634 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Pedro Gomez shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1081 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Willow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I only downloaded it because I saw a client with the tabs at the top. Very disappointed the mac version does not have this. Will not start using this.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also purchased MS subscription solely to use Onenote, only to find it ruined. I will now have to end my subscription.

Forcing this kind of change with no way to revert is ridiculous and short sighted. Noone used your app because it looked exactly like every other options out there. I do not believe there was any research at all. It appears you have just copycatted other note apps in hopes of cannibalizing their business, and in the process destroyed the main factor that made Onenote better. Your competitors are available for far less.

• Marta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Got private O365 just to use OneNote and then realised how poor the new experience became. Not listening to the customer voice may end up like the Nokia path... Hope finally someone @Microsoft management will read all the comments and take the right decision to bring this option back!
    Would appreciate also to understand rather this option will be returned or not at all, to make my decision easier.
    Thank you.

• Ming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am sure with today's technology, Microsoft is able to provide options to users. I have been using OneNote for several years and just like how things were in the past because my brain has been wired that way. Please either bring back the section tab to the top or better still provide options to your users!

• Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One more product ruined with a very stupid update. Please, use your product, so you will see how wrong is this update!!!! Give us back the tab at the top!!!!!!

• Andrew Halcomb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It just happened to me...I thought surely something is wrong here, this has to be a mistake. So much of the view has been completely demolished with this change, I can barely see my notes the way I used to. This is literally affecting my job...

• Mark Paluta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This isn't a good UI. Lots of wasted space and feels off-center. Please give us the option to customize locations. Thanks.

• mne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

make it a configurable option. i want the tabs back across the top like everyone else. this was pretty stupid design change.

• Kelly Eleftheriou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please put tabs back across the top - it is not about navigation but readabiity of content - navigation of section and pages to the left diminishes visibility of content.

• Ben Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, this change was stupid and makes for tons of wasted space on my screen. I don't use Mac, but this change seems to be applied to the Windows version as well. I stumbled across this voting portal when searching for a way to move the navigation window back to the top of the screen when I noticed the change after upgrading my OneNote version. Very disappointed to find out that there isn't even an option to choose where these menus appear.

• daniel leaf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

tabs back on top please. the change is a significant detractor. it is really bad. I don't know who would have asked for such a thing.

• George commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hate the new layout of OneNote for Windows. Please give me the tabs back to go across the top.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

:-( I am sure users vary on preference. Just give us a choice.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add the option to have tabs on top. I have no motivation to use the latest version of OneNote with this change. I have no room and I feel like my organized notebooks are now cluttered and jammed onto the screen.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 54 55

Feedback and Knowledge Base