How can we improve OneNote for Mac?

Leaving (or option to leave) the section tabs at the top on the page instead of on the side

Of the new experimental features is the sections tabs moving to the side of the page instead of displaying at the top. This kills screen space as it takes a huge chunk or horizontal space for people who work with two windows side by side. If the feature is coming, please leave an option to revert back to displaying these tabs at the top of the notebook.

1,404 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Pedro Gomez shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

962 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also hate not having the tabs at the top of he screen -- enough so that I am looking for a different product to use. I have invested a lot of time putting information into OneNote, so I will hate to have to spend all the time to convert to something else. Microsoft clearly did not do enough testing with "real" users to see what they want!! I am fine with the new format being added as an option, but don't take away the option to continue using the format we all are used to.

Put the tabs back on top. I'm not sure where you're getting your feedback from but having the tabs on the left side is horrible. It was much more intuitive for the tabs to be on top or give the user the ability to change the view like all of the other Microsoft Office applications

Why would the flexibility for tab placement be removed? Users should be allowed to determine either to use side or the top of the page tabs as an option for each user. Please give us this option back.

I agree completely with the comment - please give us the option to have the tabs at the top. Losing the screen space really degrades the experience of using OneNote. I don't understand why designers thought this was a good idea. Please bring it back as soon as possible - for both the mac and PC version. I rely heavily on OneNote and this new view has really messed up my productivity.

Tab placement either on the side or the top of the page should be optional for each user. Please give us this option.

• Eimear commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I've just gotten a new laptop and hate the new layout of OneNote. Please give the option to return section tabs to the top of the page, it's not worth sacrificing so much screen space!

• Abdullah Amiry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

leave that section tab on the top, otherwise you can have both options available for clients not just removing one.

• Jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Go back to the old design with tabs across the top instead of managing sections on the left side.

Why don't MS tell what is changed in the upgrade and give the option to upgrade... also why does changing things around and making things confusing on each upgrade warrant it being called an upgrade... this is across all the Office products. It seems like MA has too many people needing to show some contribution - even if completely worthless - by changing the cosmetics.

I need to see my work, not occasionally used columns on the side. Tabs back on top please!!

• Carlos Delgado commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please leave them on top. takes to much space on the side. I also use the PC version for version at work and it is very distracting to have it on the side on my mac.

Please put the tabs back art the top! I don't have the real estate on a laptop screen to have the tabs on the side.

• Michael Potter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just upgraded to the most recent version on the mac and lost the tabs across the top. Please put them back. The tabs on the left take too much screen space. Or add a new hierarchy: Notebook -> Section -> Page -> Tab. The tabs are one of the reasons I liked OneNote over the other solutions. I hope G-Suite comes out with something like OneNote.

The new lay out takes too much space. The old layout has the limitation of the number of sub subtabs pages within a tab. I would suggest to lead the old interface and add a scroll bar to the right of the subtabs so you could have more than what fits on a screen.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 48 49

Feedback and Knowledge Base