How can we improve OneNote for Mac?

Leaving (or option to leave) the section tabs at the top on the page instead of on the side

Of the new experimental features is the sections tabs moving to the side of the page instead of displaying at the top. This kills screen space as it takes a huge chunk or horizontal space for people who work with two windows side by side. If the feature is coming, please leave an option to revert back to displaying these tabs at the top of the notebook.

337 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Pedro GomezPedro Gomez shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

194 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • TimTim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cant use OneNote any more! This update is terrible! let me move the tabs to the top

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Horrible. I roll it back to 15.33 using my Timemachine. And I will never update Onenote for mac.

• AliceAlice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I regret updating the software so so much. The tabs on the left side take up too much space. Please keep the old layout with the tabs on top with the page files on the right.

• ToddTodd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am on OneNote power user and been Using OneNote since its inception on pc.

My life is powered and organized by this software.

The OneNote team has done incredible work in bringing OneNote to the Mac and all the updates and features included but I have to say this is much bigger than an inconvenience, annoyance or disappointment.

We love OneNote mostly because of what you can do on the page. The best interfaces are minimal interfaces and ones that don't get in the way and allow us to get to work on the page. As we tend to always read left to right, interface is constantly now being re-read and is in the way. We're only using the interface to get to and from pages, beyond that it should be out of the way.

My comments below about the new OneNote navigation are also why I never liked Evernote. The old interface was more intuitive, easier on the eyes, better use of screen space and MORE FUN. It's a bit stale/boring looking. And with a vision impairment these are huge drawbacks.

Regarding Tabs:
        • With the larger colored tabs on top, OneNote was quicker to use. Our brains read much quicker left to right vs vertically.
        • Previously, I didn't need to read the tab name because I knew what the color stood for, also there was a spatial awareness where the specific tabs were located left, middle or to the right and now the tabs are just a mush of white vertical text, that we now have to read. It takes 4-5 times longer to find the tab I'm looking for.
        • The OneNote team at minimum needs to consider having the tab color come all the way across the tab to include the name, not just a useless color blotches to the left that have no real utility.
        • Previously the colored tabs had dark border, defining their edges, in addition to extending the color across to include the name, the team ought to consider using a slight boarder as well.

Similar inferences can be said about the above comments regarding issues with the Pages:
        • Now a blob of vertical text on a white background, next to another vertical list of text (the tabs) with a white background. Too much white background & text to read, it's not intuitive or easy on the eyes.
        • The colored background of the page tabs have been removed, not good, so now we have to spend time questioning if we are looking at our notebooks, tabs or pages. Now the lack of visual cues makes them not immediately distinguishable.
        • Also with the horizontal lines previously separated each page gone, and now the pages are a blob of vertical text, it is completely unclear where each page tab begins and ends, with no separation between page tabs or other visual cues it takes more time to find the page a user wants to move to.
        • The pages worked much better on the right, with the navigation tucked out of the way allowing the user full page access.
        • Frankly everything on the left is in the way and a visual distraction.
        • I have a vision impairment and with all the white space and lack of color cues the new navigation is overwhelming and doesn't work.

OneNote Team, keep up the good work but PLEASE allow users to determine where they want the tabs and pages to appear. The team did a great job designing the previous interface, it worked perfect.

Mahalo,
        Todd Dye

• ArchArch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just downloaded Onenote because I was excited with the layout (including tabs on top) and the templates (especially Meetings) ... only to find out that they are NOT AVAILABLE. Can't even work offline! This means that I'll just have to delete what I've downloaded. This is tragically disappointing!

Please bring the old tabs (at the top) back! The new layout sucks. I need my top folders!

• SamSam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please change this to a setting so people can choose the way they prefer. I do not like the tabs on the side as much as on the top. Having the tabs on the top was one of my main reasons for switching to OneNote from Evernote.

• Joel SteinJoel Stein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AT LEAST 4 PEOPLE AT MICROSOFT's ONENOTE DIVISION SHOULD GET FIRED FOR CHANGING IT AND ALLOWING IT TO BE CHANGED WITHOUT AN OPTION TO OPT OUT. AT LEAST 4 PEOPLE. AND PROBABLY A FEW BEATEN WITH A BROOM HANDLE. BUT AT LEAST 4 FIRED.

ALL THE PEOPLE HERE ARE HERE BECAUSE WE'RE PISSED ABOUT THE CHANGE. CHANGE IT BACK! NOW!

DIFFERENT IS NOT BETTER! IT WORKED! DONT CHANGE SOMETHING SO MAGOR ON A PIECE OF SOFTWARE SO IMPORTANT TO SO MANY WITHOUT AN OPTION TO OPT BACK AGAIN!!! SOMEBODY THERE IS JUST CREATING BUSYWORK TO MESS WITH SUCH A CLASSIC LAYOUT TO MAKE IT SO STUPIDLY USELESS! CHANGE IT BACK IMMEDIATELY!! MY $1,200 IPAD IS WORTHLESS BECAUSE IT HAS THE UPDATED APP AND IT'S ALL I USE IT FOR. CHANGE IT BACK FOR GODS SAKE.

Why have you changed this?!!! It was great and now it's not. It's taking over 1/3 of the screen space for navigation. Poor, very, very poor.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base