How can we improve OneNote for Mac?

local storage on Mac

How about giving Mac users the option to locally store their notebooks just like PC users get? If not why do you charge the same for a less feature rich product?

3,711 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1006 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was considering using onenote for a big project, but ruled it out for exactly this reason.

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I grew increasingly uncomfortable with OneNote and not having local copies and local backup for a myriad of reasons.

Bought a MacBook Pro and switched over to DEVONthink 3.
    I wished I had found this software sooner its the best information management software available.
    Local databases with many syncing options, its awesome.
    I use it with notability. When I am finished with the hand written note, I export it as pdf to DEVONthink and file accordingly.

I truly could not be happier!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for missing the point completely - no local notebooks, no point in having the program.

• simee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft - you made a great product and you suck at implementing it. the master brain of keeping the only option to one drive and not making an option to save locally totally sucks. why dont you consider that you cannot keep every single piece of information to cloud. there will be sensitive info also...Fix it or you totally fails again in microsoft way totally.

• Arman Mirzaei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe the best way is to efficiently ask the APPLE Incorporation to design a noting software similar to MS OneNote , and add it to its own office.

• Jeff Bratton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree. This is so frustrating. If Microsoft wants us to use their products, they need to make it friendly with all OS's and cloud solutions. Not everyone wants to use OneDrive.

• sword commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we need local save option!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fy!!!!

• Haywood Jablomi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ditto for the comments below. I have one drive but not able to use it on my work computer there has got to be a way to do this. Windows is awful but I am forced to use it. I use my Mac for all my work on the road and just want my notes.

• Michael Potter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This answer from the "OneNote Team" is a joke; they completely ignored the premise of the question. Question: "I have a requirement that I can't store information in the cloud". Answer: "cloud is better". I would have more respect for MS if they would give an honest answer: "We want to force you to use the cloud so you are dependent on us. Someday we want to stick it to you; We don't know how, but eventually we will figure out a way."

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I loved OneNote and was using it for years for private and business notes. I stopped now using it because i am sick of running a windows vm to have the ability to save local. I switched to ******.
    Never see you again. Sick of the cloud strategy.

• Me commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, here's an opportunity to show your attention to customers. This feature has been asked hundreds of times.

• Me commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What are people supposed to do when they want to sell their computer but OneNote will refuse to synchronize? This is a huge miss, because there is no way to backup a notebook, or save it offline, export/import, etc. And why is that sync problems are so frequent, compared to other products which just work?

• Siika commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Onedrive sync error deleted my online notebook. The only copy remaining is on my macbook but I cant sync or copy sections to another notebook or export as pdf. My only option is to copy and paste several years of notes. Never using onedrive for anything important ever again.

• Siika commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My onenote notebook got removed by a onedrive sync error. Now the only copy is the one that is local on my macbook, but I cant sync or save the notebook to another location. Time to print out my years of notes as PDFs and never use Onenote again.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 50 51

Feedback and Knowledge Base