How can we improve OneNote for Mac?

Enable onenote for mac to be saved to the local harddrive like the windows version

Like the windows version, it would be much better if the notebooks we able to be saved to the computers local harddrive on the mac. This would ease peace of mind with secruity as well and ease the mind of many students that they wont lose their notebooks if something goes wrong with the cloud,

It would also be much easier to share notebooks, so that students could share entire notebooks worth of notes by using something as simple as a usb to drag and drop essentially.

1,025 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Darshan Patel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

148 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jeff Bratton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree. This is so frustrating. If Microsoft wants us to use their products, they need to make it friendly with all OS's and cloud solutions. Not everyone wants to use OneDrive.

• sword commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we need local save option!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fy!!!!

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I loved OneNote and was using it for years for private and business notes. I stopped now using it because i am sick of running a windows vm to have the ability to save local. I switched to ******.
    Never see you again. Sick of the cloud strategy.

• Siika commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Onedrive sync error deleted my online notebook. The only copy remaining is on my macbook but I cant sync or copy sections to another notebook or export as pdf. My only option is to copy and paste several years of notes. Never using onedrive for anything important ever again.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Enable onenote for mac to be saved to the local harddrive like the windows version

stop making money off storage!!!!

Microsoft is not a technology company, they are first and foremost a marketing company. They only use technology when it suits their interests and this is proof of that fact. They think OneNote is a good enough product that you can't live without it. If you choose to use OneNote you will be consuming Onedrive space and Microsoft doesn't have to compete with other vendors for profits. It is a simple slimy strategy. After years of using it on Windows and now switching to the Mac I won't be using it anymore.

Why do they FORCE us to use the **** cloud?! Let us have control over where we keep our info. Why is this so hard? Why do you guys love the cloud so much? Why why why why why.

• Fred J. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I won't reiterate all of my reasons for being dissatisfied with OneNote for Mac (and Windows 10) as they are mentioned in other posts here. I will say that I feel that the only reason I can think of for being forced to store data files online is so that I have to buy Onedrive space. Offer OneNote free, get people engaged, then offer tiered services (space). This seems silly I know, but I'm a subscriber to 365 and have already paid for more space that way and feel I'm being punished with reduced functionality.

My main reason for beginning to switch away from OneNote and Business 365 however(canceled now), is the lack of parity between the new OneNotes (mac and win) with OneNote 2016. I depend heavily on the integration between Outlook and Onenote for my projects and team collaboration (OneNote) and practically speaking, this has never been good in the Mac version and is being gutted in the new OneNote for Windows 10.

In having a service in business 365 which touts all the apps and their integrations, it seems strange that MS wouldn't at least keep OneNote 2016 supported till the new apps were up to parity. This, along with the diminished integration with Outlook, guts the collaborative foundation that attracted most to MS Office in the first place.

I'm presently switching to SmartSheet, a few other apps and integrations to bring our workflow back up and not have to figure out work-arounds for the next 5 years.

• Ahmad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That is the sole reason why I moved to Outline. It sucks not to be able to save files locally especially that many companies have security policies against storing important content on the cloud.
    Outline is much inferior to OneNote (imo), but Microsoft left me no other choice. Very disappointing.

• Nofil Fawad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could one someone from MS explain the reason for not supporting local file reads and writes to One Note?

In the mac version One Note only saves files as Read Only files. That defeats the purpose. Why can't it save the file like normal programs save their files so that they can be edited in the future without having to created a new version unless you choose to. I don't want a million versions of a file just because I added a new sentence or paragraph to the file every week.

OneNote for mac has a very serious flaw and dangerous. If anything happens to the internet connection or satellite you will not have access to all your files for who knows how long.

• Dr. Ronn Brashear commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And my entire org (170+) can no longer use OneNote because there is no other persistence option beyond OneDrive. I will miss it.

I totally agree. Love OneNote and now using the mac version. Can't believe it doesn't save to the local harddrive. Doesn't make sense.

• Christian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is stupid. Something this basic and obvious shouldn't have been removed just because you ported Office to the MacOS. Microsoft is being stupid again.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base