How can we improve OneNote for Mac?

Mac: Find Tags and Summarize Tags

add "Find Tags" & "Compile/Summarize All Tags" on the Mac. Very hard to believe that Microsoft does not include it for the Mac, very base feature.

2,984 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Philip Woody shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
started  ·  AdminOneNote Team (User Researcher, OneNote Team) responded  · 

Hello—
You can now create custom tags to insert anywhere in your notebooks. For more information on custom tags and searching custom tags, read this blog – Custom tags available soon in OneNote
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365-Blog/Custom-tags-available-soon-in-OneNote/ba-p/302898

Also, tags in your notebook and pages now appear in your search results.

545 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Posted a comment then checked Mac App Store updates, saw there was one for OneNote. Updated. Tag searching works now though wanted to mention there appears to still be a bug. I'm in assessment mode trying to decide whether to purchase Office 365 for work. I created two text boxes which I tagged with to do boxes. The first time I searched for "to do" tags, both were listed. I then checked one of the boxes as done and did a search again "to do" tags, but neither of them showed up even though one of the boxes is not checked. [seems like maybe it could be that the search could be differentiated between "to do - unchecked/not done" and "to do - checked/done', but unless that's done, at a minimum a search for "to do" items should return all "to do" items whether checked or not.] Thanks.

What I wrote earlier:

New to OneNote via the Mac App Store but still in free trial period. Assessing whether to purchase for work. Is this enough to justify a no? Not sure, but I agree with Tom Endyke's sentiment and thought I'd add another voice to the communal plea: FIX or ADD the Tag Search / Summary function for MacOS!

Can someone clue me in please .... how do I get a summary page of all my to-do items across all notesbooks, sections, pages etc.

I see customisable tags has now arrived - we are getting there...

We just need a proper way to find tags and to be able to filter them by completed or not. Come on OneNote Team you are nearly there! Keep going...

Version 16.16 is my current version. When I check for updates, it says that there are no updates. How do I update to 16.20?

• Nicole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Happy with the search as an interim solution. Would love to see it improved with filtering out completed tasks, ability to search more tags/custom tags, and the ability to generate a summary page for different tags.

• Pamela Workman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There doesn't appear to be any way to search for items that are flagged. On my Windows machine, when I flag an item, it adds it to my Outlook tasks, so I use flag rather than a todo tag for my tasks, while using other tags for my supervisor, things I am waiting for, etc. I can see flags on the Mac side, but I can't add them or search them. I can now search custom tags I have used on my Mac, which is a big step forward. But I can't set them on the Mac side, which is a problem.

Agree with Duncan...I’m seeking to show all to do tags in one aggregate list. Versus having to look at them in each notebook or section. Want the ability to see one list of to do from across all notebooks and sections (and it would be better to select which notebooks to collate the list feom

I've been able to figure out how to filter the results of a tag search to narrow down to specific notebooks, or pages; however, there doesn't appear to be the ability to create a To Do list from those items that have been tagged as To Do. I recall this feature from when I used the Win version 2 years ago before switching to Mac, and this would be extremely helpful...

• Duncan Drury commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So the reply from Microsoft seems to be "use the search feature", which sort of works - a search for Important will return all the pages with the Important tag added (as well as the pages with the word Important in them).

However because it is also a textual search, looking for To do tag will return all documents with To do tags, and all docs with to or do in them (and any words that include to and do in them).

We need to be able to search on the tags themselves, not just their textual labels.

3 years later... with no ability to set custom tags... You should let us know how many people are in your team... if you are not more than 2 people on the software, we should know and not blame you for Microsoft not investing on this software...

But if you're more, this is a kind of a joke... features are so basic that Mac Users are really pushed towards Evernote & the likes.... :(

(highly disappointed)

I agree with other comments! I loved OneNote on Win machine. There is no better note handling tool. But Mac version is still far from it.

Summary pages per tags etc are really useful
    Filtering is necessary
    Sorting by sections
    Add-ins (Win have some really awesome apps you can add)
    All tags search

Good job, but keep it coming!

After literally years of waiting what has been provided is woefully inadequate. It is a far cry from the Windows version and smacks of contempt for Mac users. It is interesting that I still pay the same price as a Windows user though. Come on, OneNote Team, surely you are embarrassed to put out very basic 'search' facility after all the endless requests and long, long wait. Please can I urge you to do the job properly this time and develop the software to the same standard as Windows users.

• Kyle Stenson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like tag search results to appear as it's own page, rather than just results off to the side. It'd be great to view all "critical" items, "Ideas", or "to-dos". In addition, It'd be awesome if it allowed you to edit on the consolidated tag page, but also reflects on the original source page. For instance, if I check off a to-do, in the combined view, it will also be checked off when I go to the original page it was pulling from.

• Todd Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This implementation of tags is so different from every other implementation of tags I have ever used. It is very awkward. Honestly, you need to go see how Evernote does it and just start over. Sorry to be so negative but this is really poor. I want to use OneNote because our office is standardizing on Office365, but I just can't use this tagging.

• Lauren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had to go to Preferences > General and check "Enable Experimental Features" to get the tag search options to come up.

I agree with previous comments that the ability to filter completed and non-completed to do tags will be essential.

• Colton Pepper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm afraid I don't see these new features and I even downloaded and installed the most recent update from Microsoft's site. The GUI does look different but I'm not seeing how to search for tags. Thinking that maybe it was a different tab in the Ribbon, I tried to customize the ribbon but it's grayed out. Not sure why but nothing I do allows me to customize the ribbon. Why have that as an option if you can't click it?

I verified that I am on the version specified in the announcement.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 27 28

Feedback and Knowledge Base