How can we improve OneNote for Mac?

Saving OneNote Notebooks locally

I am an exciting OneNote user and have now a Mac. Unfortunately the OneNote version for Mac does not allow to store the notebooks locally on the hard disk.
My suggestion is to enable this function additionally to the storing in the cloud! This current limitation drives people to use Mac Alternatives like Outline (which are, of course, not that good like OneNote), like myself. If this will be possible, I definitely would use OneNote again.

178 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Siika commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My onenote notebook got removed by a onedrive sync error. Now the only copy is the one that is local on my macbook, but I cant sync or save the notebook to another location. Time to print out my years of notes as PDFs and never use Onenote again.

• DN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please add this. As a student, I am terrified of what would happen if my notes were lost mid-semester.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should have a say where I store my data. This lack of this feature made me use something different

• John Bigboote commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I must have a say in where my data is stored, and who stores it. Lack of this feature makes the product useless to me and more importantly, my employer.

• Mauricio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi!. Beyond being able to store a notebook on Mac locally, we might need the ability to store elsewhere, for instance: Dropbox or another cloud service. Also, the iOS app should have this functionality...

• Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We totally need this feature also in Windows 10 app version. A lot of people doesn't want to upload their notes to the internet...

I used OneNote (Windows) for 12 years in my previous job, everyday, several time a day. It was my life line. Not a single note lost. In my new job I have to use a Mac and cant store company sensitive data online. Guess what! I tried OneNote and found that I cant use it!

I even bought Outline (but it is a piece of junk compared to OneNote losing my data, using 4GB memory etc. list goes on.

Can you please treat Mac users at same level as Windows users... after all also paid same for office

Please allow Mac users to save OneNote locally. This saves our time enormously and improves our productivity by organising everything in one place locally. Please respect our privacy and add the feature to OneNote so Mac users can save their content locally. It's highly marketable & profitable for Microsoft too as we are even willing to buy OneNote with all these features included. Please consider and help us. Thank you.

• SCADA-Guy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I recently had several OneNote pages simply disappear from my Notebook; they comprised a lengthy chronology of certain special financial transactions. OneNote was "the" place to track the progress of those transactions, but now they are lost -- because I have no way to backup my OneNote content on my Mac (silly me to think my Time Machine backup was collecting all that data...)

Please allow Mac users to save OneNote notebooks locally. I would like to buy OneNote for mac if this feature is added to a non-free version of onenote.
    Thanks

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be remarkable, if the MS OneNote team could please add this feature for Mac users. Grateful for your support.

• LeDoc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been using OneNote ever since it first appeared quite a few years ago. Few people realized then how genius it is in all its capabilities.

It took a long time for Microsoft to finally give us Mac versions of their software and I am glad OneNote came to be included in the Office package as well.

In the Windows version -- which I use -- I can save my files locally. The same does not happen with the Mac version, unfortunately.

I do save some personal stuff in the cloud but I cannot do that with my professional files. Our policies prevent us from doing that.

May I please ask the Microsoft team to allow Mac users to do the same as the Windows users as far as saving OneNote files either locally or in the cloud?

By leveling the field I believe many more people would use OneNote and be satisfied.

I have encouraged my students to use OneNote ever since it first appeared on the scene and will continue to do so. I am a huge fan of OneNote's.

Would you be so kind as to hear us, Mac users?

Thanks.

• Mark H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My question is "Are you going to fix this marketing disaster and provide local OneNote for Mac?"

You can do this on a PC, so why are you forcing OneDrive Only for Mac. It makes no sense because it acts as a negative advert for Microsoft Office on the Mac and obstructs sales.

Please let us know you hear us!

I recently moved from PC to Mac and have years worth of notes in OneNote that I'd love to use on my Mac, but my company won't allow storing the information on Microsoft's servers. Too bad! I'll just have to export everything to Word files :-(

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base