How can we improve OneNote for Android?

Android: Password protected sections

Vote for this if you want to be able to create and use password protected sections in OneNote for Android, providing added security and privacy for your notes.

1,643 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Omeed Chandra shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

353 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Bear R Humphreys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have an issue with updating an opened section that is password protected... it opens properly and then it times out, locks and requires me to log back in to the section as I am typing my entry. This appears to be a default timeout of 5 minutes.

I suspect it is because I am using the app on a Chromebook, it doesn't recognise the keyboard input and thinks the app isn't being used as there is no touchscreen input so times out.
    At the moment this is stopping me using OneNote for journaling as it interrupts the flow somewhat.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HOW? With the very latest OneNote on my Note 8 I highlight text but can see no option to encrypt it, nor any menu with such an option.

• Tracy Hurt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can open one of my password protected notebooks but not the others. On the rest of them, I still get the "We couldn't open this section" error. I've tried to resync but get a sync error message.

• PSe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i'm using Samsung S7 edge, unable to open password protected sections, getting the error message "We couldn't open this section". Please advise how could i open it on my phone. Thanks a lot. Waiting for revert.

• J Ng commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm also suddenly unable to open my password protected sections on Samsung Note 8, even though I was able to on Samsung Note 5.

• Mike Langmayer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Installed OneNote on my Galaxy Note 8+ today, but the password protected section still doesn't work. Still getting the message "We couldn't open this section". Strangely enough on my really old Note 2 it was working.

• Fadetonite commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So almost a year later I still do not see a way to password or fingerprint lock this. The PC version has a nice lock feature so my data is "safe". How come this doesn't transfer over to the Phone app? If you put a PW on the PC counterpart it should transfer over to the app but it doesn't, at least not for me. With phones being more and more susceptible to hacking it would be nice to lock up those notes as this is my favorite way to store information that I use for various things.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As others have stated, please add the ability to use fingerprint to unlock. Switching from being an iPhone user for 7 years I miss this in many android apps.

• David Poninski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add fingerprint unlocking like on iOS. It's so much easier than typing in the password every time. I appreciate the added security but iOS has had fingerprint support for a while and it would be nice to have some feature parity.

As other Users have commented , password protected sections should Lock up once you leave the app and ask for the password again if you return to the section.
    Better yet it should have option for fingerprint scanner.

• sidoar78 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good morning sir,
    I make a mistake with my Onenote application in my android. My file was totally lost and I have question to you sir.
    How the way I can getting my file back again sir??

I hope I get good news sir
    Thanks alot sir
    From Indonesia

Good Day,
    why we need this password protection?
    Well heres why in the list
    1. We are writing our Personal Emails in the Notebook like Bank Accounts, Gaming Accounts and more
    2. We are writing our keycode like when you purchase a game u need a serial key to actually play the game and other devs will make it one time serial code but others do it everytime you open a game.
    3. The one time codes. When we logins our accounts there will be always code verification like steam, steam gives us a plenty of one time code and that will access our accounts and even forgot the password and use that codes.
    Thank you for reading this Carefully

• Hugo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why does OneNote on Android keep asking for a security Code? I put one in this morning, and yesterday, and the day before, and the day before ****ing that.
    When I get my phone out to make a note, I have to go through the authentication process before i can start, which delays me by too much. I suppose I'll just have to go back to Evernote.
    Why oh why is MS so crazy that it doesn't store yesterday's verification? And NO, I haven't turned off the phone in the meantime

• Dave Lippa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it looks like i have to type password each time. Am I missing the ability to leverage the fingerprint security similar to iphone when opening password protected sections of OneNote?

• Damon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't wait for this feature. Once OneNote has that ability it would be really cool to add a "Password Vault" type capability (much like KeepPass).

• Christopher Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not sure if I'm clear on the comment from Admin on September 08, 16. It seems that I can now open the sections, but they can't be locked. In other words, the section I locked on the PC is open for all to read on my phone and can't be locked. Unfortunately, will still have to keep the other programs in my life for the more sensitive data.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18

Feedback and Knowledge Base