OneNote Developer APIs

Welcome to the feedback forum for OneNote’s developer platform and APIs! This is the place for developers to send us feedback and suggestions. To share feedback about OneNote’s apps, please visit our user forum instead. For “How To” questions, please visit StackOverflow.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. API to list notebooks in sharepoint site even if the site has more than 20000 items in it

API can have a "search by displayName" feature instead of restricting the API to be used if share point has more than 20000 items in it or at least it can provide a paginated response

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Why Onenote Online's hyperlink has 'http://' at the beginning

I want to use hyperlink to open a protocol app, but the online's link will add a 'http://'; at the beginning. I think it is not necessary. And it is different from UWP OneNote.
    Now how can i open my protocol UWP APP?

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. All Most Imp. Point for One Note Windows 10 , Very Exclusive Points to be Added , than it will be Full Featured app. And compete to any and

All Most Imp. Point for One Note Windows 10 , Very Exclusive Points to be Added , than it will be Full Featured app. And compete to any and best one will be proved in World. That’s It.

1. Notebook Group, Section Group,Page group,as well Rename.in Android.& All
    In current senario of bunch of Info Its Must.

2. Auto add Notes Created in PC or Mobile. - as we have to do manually and its not good as many can forget to add and will be useless, and imp. Info can be lost.

3. It Doesn`t Recognise hand writtens words…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support Word-style content controls and Custom XML Parts

We have successfully extended Microsoft Word to handle semantic scientific information: https://www.chem4word.co.uk/ . This free add-in brings rich chemistry to word, and has seen over 200,000 downloads and is used in teaching situations worldwide.

We'd like to bring this to OneNote. If OneNote could support Word-style content controls and custom XML parts, then this would open up a whole new world of extensibility and add-ins that would add real value to educators. It would also make OneNote into an unbeatable lab notebook.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. drag and drop from outlook

Please please bring back the drag and drop from outlook feature. I used that feature all the time and frustrated that I have to save to folder from outlook, just extra steps that I don't have time for. Why do upgrades try to fix things that work well.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Markdown Support for OneNote (desktop and web)

I know there's already an Idea posted for this topic however the original poster of the idea hasn't provided feedback as to what exactly they meant. so here goes:

It's simply the ability to use Markdown in OneNote pages, Currently I use the tool to take all of my work notes, and as a Developer I need to add code blocks, code lines and other formatting into my notes,. It would be great if Markdown was added to OneNote just like in GitHub wikis or Stackoverflow for example as I would hate moving away from using it!

3,061 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    55 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. ODATA 'search' for OneNote Business

I was somewhat shocked when an API tech told me you can't search OneNote Business pages via the API to find the note you need to retrieve or modify.

I'm sure there are some permissions concerns, but without being able to search using the API is extremely inefficient and not really usable for many purposes.

Please prioritize giving your paid business customers the same features as your free consumers can get.

62 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Requests throttling (suggested API call rate)

What is the suggested maximum OneNote API call rate (API requests per second) over thousands of API requests - in order to NOT get throttled by the service.

Or, put it in another way, that is the minimum suggested interval between single OneNote API requests, in order to avoid throttling - over thousands of requests needed to be made?

I would implement this throttling in my client-side code, but any reasonable call rate I've experimented with, currently still leads to throttling, beyond 1000 requests performed.

My use case is this: I need to mass-import data from OneNote notebooks under an…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Embed Mentimeter

Mentimeter is a very powerful interaction tool for classroom activities and it would add great value to interactive and engaging lessons.

you can easily embed a Poll or quizzes by just pasting the link would be perfect

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. BUG: REST API - Getting page collection of a section returns deleted pages

I noticed that requesting a page collection from a section will return a response with pages that were deleted already. This does not always occur. In my scenario I deleted pages from the OneNote web app and made a call to the following endpoint:

https://www.onenote.com/api/v1.0/me/notes/sections/{section-id}/pages/

Both current and deleted pages were returned in the response.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Webhooks for Office 365 Notes

Webhooks now work for OneDrive accounts which is great, but we've got Office 365 Business clients clamoring for the same functionality. I know there are privacy and access concerns to be addressed here, but Evernote solved them and I'm sure Microsoft will too.

It's always tough when paying Business users feel behind free users in functionality. Hope this can be addressed soon.

110 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Programmer Friendly Pages and Features

I would like to be able to switch individual pages to a "Programmer Mode" or have some kind of "Frames" to put programming code or commands in. I'm tired of the first letter of every line being capitalized automatically, auto correct changing words in my code, and everything being underlined as a misspelled word.

99 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Solve the error code: 10013

Solve the error code: 10013 removing the limit of 20000 items in onedrive (as well as the error with the limit of 5000 item in onenote)

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. A Few Things

Voice to text for efficiency
    Searchable tags
    Tab sections at top of notebook again- it's getting too crowded on the side of the note page- I know you can hide it but section tabs do not stand out visually

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. scan from hp scanner directly to onenote

Would like to scan directly from my HP all in one printer-scanner into onenote.

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Bring back the link with Outlook task manager

in the calendos and Outlook as in 2016

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Expose the complete Object Model of Onenote

The OneNote API should be the API that the Microsoft team that develop OneNote themselves uses.
    There should not be anything that Microsoft can do that a 3:ed party could not do as well.

There should be a set of basic classes/objects that remain fairly stable over time and then just about everything else should be addons.
    Check out how Visual Studio is done, and then do something similar with OneNote.

At the very foundation OneNote is nothing but a distributed and replicated Database, so creating new data models/structures should be a trivial thing.
    There could be requirements that there…

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Mind Maps. , would be great to be able to create mind maps in One Note

It would be helpful to create basic mind maps in one note. I appreciate I could draw one, but not very professional to export or share.

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Onenote tags

I am syncing OneNote notebooks into my application using MS graph API. Onenote has few tags like To-Do, Important, Question etc. When I fetch html content for particular page these tags comes as data-tag like in -

<p lang="en-US" data-tag="important" style="margin-top:0pt;margin-bottom:0pt"><span lang="en-GB">Abc</p>
    How can I replace these tags with the icon with which they are represented in OneNote UI. If I think to skip these tags the notes look very weird.

There has to be rest api which gives you binary content or some metadat information about tag provided tag type (name) like to-do

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

OneNote Developer APIs

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base