OneNote Developer APIs

Welcome to the feedback forum for OneNote’s developer platform and APIs! This is the place for developers to send us feedback and suggestions. To share feedback about OneNote’s apps, please visit our user forum instead. For “How To” questions, please visit StackOverflow.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve the OneNote APIs and developer platform? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Drawing chain of lines of fixed unit distance

It would be nice to be able to draw lines in a chain so that the end of the firstline is the start point of the following line. Would make for easier drawing
    of poly shapes.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. add option to search pages

Hey, My notebook have lots of page. It's not handy scroll down and find page. So, it's need option to search pages.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Export Options - epub and Publisher Format

Export to epub should be a standard by now. Publisher Format would allow to keep object positions which it does not seem to do in Word format.

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. IT is not a Ideal, it's fact!!!

One Note!!!!
    One Drive I hate them to a extreme, been a User of Microsott and Windows for at least 30 yr. I hate them both sol bad I'm seriourly thinking of changing to Apple!!! One note and One drive completly takes over your computer and the bullshit of going in circles for hours because one or both keep taking you to a direction that you never asked for nor want to use onedrive. It won't let you go the direction you want. ItForces you to use things the way they want!!!!!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Be able to put several clips into one note.

Right now you can clip a page or section of page and it drops into OneNote, but have an option where you can keep clipping multiple clips (for example researching a subject) and then once you have many clips on the clipper, go ahead and drop them all onto one new page instead of having to have each clip be a page on its own.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. oneNote recent notebooks not loading

oneNote recent notebooks not loading

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. New OneNote Page Types

I hope OneNote gets a major update to handle new Page types or at least new Page elements. Currently, you have a Notebook, and you can have Sections with Pages. But all those Pages are the same (formatted text/tablets/images/basic lists). It would be interesting if there were new Page types that we can add to each section. For example instead of just 'New Page', there could be 'New List' (for more advanced lists), 'New Agenda', 'New Doodle', etc. (Just like a real physical binder would have). :)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Word Count

With a few tweaks, OneNote can graduate from content collection to content production. I know there are macros that simulate this functionality and dedicated apps that have this feature (Scrivener), but would greatly enhance content creation within OneNote. Word count, word count goals.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Enable OneNote API for data storage on Phone, health vault, box, and other HIPAA compliant data storage options

Enable OneNote API for development with other apps. Moreover, API should allow data storage on smart Phone, health vault, box, and other HIPAA compliant data storage options.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add ModifiedBy to page objects

Right now when a user changes a page, the containing Section has a ModifiedBy field which is updated. However, the Page itself has no such field. This makes it impossible for a change polling service to distinguish who changed individual pages between polls, and makes it cumbersome to get any such information at all (via the Section).

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make page modified times update immediately in the API

Currently, it takes a long time (seems like 20 minutes to an hour is common) for the ModifiedDate of a page to be reflected in the API after a user makes a change. Meanwhile, the containing Section has its ModifiedDate updated immediately. This is very strange behavior. It also seems like sometimes *only* the section's ModifiedDate ever changes, even though I'm clearly adding text to a page.

Since there's no notification mechanism in the OneNote API, my current solution is to poll for changes (to update our Slack channel), but this has unexpected delays and reliability problems due to the…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  0 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. allow the ability to save on a flash drive!

If I'm working on something. I might want to work offline, from the original.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Export Relative Positions of Objects

Export needs to address relative locations. Example I put white text over a picture, or I have multiple pictures arranged in a group. In all export to Word, they are arranged vertically, not overlaid as they appear in note. Are displayed properly when exported as PDF. Also true of ink objects, table objects. I have them arranged on a page, but when I go to export does not align or flow.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Api to access todos and mark as done

I want to be able to quickly find all my todos via the api and then to mark them as done through the api

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow OneNote notebooks to exist in Onedrive/O365 and also be replicated on a local server on a site.

OneNote API is for the Onedrive onenote, The COM API is for desktop onenote.

I would like to write an app that would offer the flexibility of having onenotes online (onedrive/etc) but also having the peace-of-mind of having a local copy on a server for a site to work on so they don't get lag and also still have the notebooks if their internet dies.

I .. I don't think this is possible right now.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. make it less soul-crushingly awful to create COM add-ins.

Take a queue from Google and "don't be evil." You're current approach to COM add-ins in OneNote is downright diabolical.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. allow organsing in better manner

i am a reasercher into notes application,i have found that hiraricial folders to 5+-2 is the best amount of nested folders to be allowed in any app to organize information,right now onenote allows section groups>>sections>>pages>>subpages,plz improve this with the help of folders,that can go upto 7 levels if needed

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. recognize bluetooth pencil in onenote (ipad)

See above. Recognizing Bluetooth pencils in iPad / iPhone OneNote version

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Set transparency of graphic items

Would be nice to set transparency and other aspects on an image. Especially when doing background items, would be nice to use an image like a watermark. (also convert to gray scale)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

OneNote Developer APIs

Feedback and Knowledge Base