OneNote Developer APIs

Welcome to the feedback forum for OneNote’s developer platform and APIs! This is the place for developers to send us feedback and suggestions. To share feedback about OneNote’s apps, please visit our user forum instead. For “How To” questions, please visit StackOverflow.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

1. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix the Microsoft Surface 3 Glitch we're you can't actually use the Pen with the Surface without the Device breaking. out.

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-ca/support/hardware-and-drivers/troubleshoot-the-surface-touchscreen?os=windows-10
    as it turns out none of the trouble shooting on this page actually works, I've contacted Microsoft 3 times about this issue the only real Fix, is after the reset, or updating all the drivers, Don't Link the pen, Open Onenote, and let it go to screensaver for longer then a few seconds if you wait a few minutes the glitch shows up and is permanent until you Reinstall windows, the glitch then persists until you Unlink the Pen by turning off bluetooth and erasing some more data. then when you re link the pen it all works ....…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. "Post-it" notes level

I love the one note badge concept where you don’t need to open the program to take notes. I especially love the fact that I don’t even have to unlock my tablet or phone to take notes. What I would like to see is another ‘layer’ in OneNote. When I write One Note Badge notes, they are more like “Post-it Notes”. So sometimes these disparate “Post-its” will eventually make up a single page. I’d like to be able to group my “Post-its” into a single page instead of each note being a page unto itself, because it becomes difficult to…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. To be able to save notebooks in Dropbox, other cloud providers

Onenote is great, but it would be even better if we can save our notes to Dropbox or any other popular could storage solution.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Get full text OCR from images

Say I use the API to search for information and want to show a snippet around the search term. If I could get all the text via the /content endpoint of a page I could achieve this.

Idea from Mikael Svenson

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. chrome上的 onenote clipper無法開啟

不好意思
    想請問一下
    為何最近我在
    Chrome上安裝的onenote clipper
    都無法正常使用?(點下去沒反應,開不了)
    這種情況大約已經維持半個月~1個月了...
    不知道是我電腦問題?還是你們軟體問題呢?

桌機版是正常可用的
    但附加在chrome上的外掛不能使用...
    想紀錄網頁上都資訊都無法紀了...

看能否請協助處理..謝謝

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Ability to add border to text boxes (and fill) & Ability to add thumbnails of images which expand on click

Both so simple. I write in the nice, flexible boxes, then want a border to distinguish this from other but i have to draw a rectangle but then i always have to adjust the rectangle to the text box when expanding and shifting.
    When I add large images from slides, I want a thumbnail.
    If i make it big enough to read it takes up the whole screen and ruins my layout.

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. ANCHOR THE DEFAULT INSTALLATION, IF MOBILE, THE LINK SO USERS CAN'T MISTAKENLY MAKE CRITICAL SYSTEM CHANGES USIN THE LINKS TO EXECUTE OTHER,

ANCHOR THE DEFAULT INSTALLATION, IF MOBILE, THE LINK SO USERS CAN'T MISTAKENLY MAKE CRITICAL SYSTEM CHANGES USIN THE LINKS TO EXECUTE OTHER SOFTWARE, ISSUES WHERE THE PROGRAM FILES BECOME MIXED, DETACHED ,OR SEPERATED, ALONG WITH NAME OR DESCRIPTION, JUST MAKE IT PERMANANT, AND FIXED. BUT ALLOWING , MIGRATION FOR UPDATED USER DATA AND PACKAGE. Example, I have a one note that links to exe OneDrive then the files then OneNote, and a sky drive with OneNote icon and description that executes OneNote then the link to SkyDrive (old) from within, A link on a note activates the .exe link to…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Integration with various smartpens

Increase integration with popular smartpen products, such as Equil, LiveScribe, and the new Neo 2 Smartpen. Should include the ability to transfer the vector graphics and integration of synchronized audio with notes.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. find

Should be able to search documents better. Only being able to type one word when it might be a phrase you are looking for is annoying. Also, the found word does not lineup to where the actual word is so I still have to search entire pages for the one word I typed.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. why would teacher see students notes>

I think it's unncessary for teachers to be able to see student's notes on "Student Notebooks" because there could be a personal information
    or a note that teachers does not have to have access to it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Save option button

when you write something have the option to save the information.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. REST API to create hyperlinks to objects on a page

A REST method like GetHyperLinkToObject Method in the OneNote client API would be very handy to create multiple pages with links between them. Since page objects can already be retrieved with an id, the REST method to generate an hyperlink would take that id and turn it into a hyperlink which can be used to navigate to that object on the page

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Developer Token for immediate access to own notebooks

Evernote provides a special "Developer Token" for developers to manipulate items in the own accounts. The token is passed in the header or as part of the REST URL and does not require a refresh token. It would be nice to have a similar feature in the OneNote API to be able to access/modify information in my own notebooks as most of my development is for my own use.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. calculator

it would be great to have a calculator that will log all calculations then allow notes to be added. this would be great to work out costs and bills with the sync feature and being able to share notes this would be very convenient in many work places i know and to work out yearly bills etc.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. WordPress App support for Notebooks on Office 365

Currently the WordPress Plugin only supports Logging in via a Microsoft Account. It would be great if the plugin could be used with school or organizational accounts.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Additional new modern templates.

The ones built in are really outdated, There should be a Onenote category on https://templates.office.com/ as well. Being able to share templates is what makes Word really awesome.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. For lefties, move radial menu to left side of screen

Allow the radial menu app to be moved to the left side to make it easier for lefties to access the radial menu.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

OneNote Developer APIs

Feedback and Knowledge Base