OneNote Developer APIs

Welcome to the feedback forum for OneNote’s developer platform and APIs! This is the place for developers to send us feedback and suggestions. To share feedback about OneNote’s apps, please visit our user forum instead. For “How To” questions, please visit StackOverflow.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve the OneNote APIs and developer platform? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. OneNote UWP add-in API

OneNote UWP add-in APIs are essential to a successful OneNote-Office transition to UWP. Office-OneNote add-in capability have a healthy ecosystem for customized user-developer functionality, such as Onetastic, OneNote UWP add-in APIs should be sustained to empower users-developers to provide unusual or domain specific functionality, which can quickly be developed and deployed to meet domain-specific user-needs and become candidates for eventual OneNote PWS integration. As an example, an Office-OneNote healthcare Electronic Medical Record (EMR) set of macros is used for clinicians to maintain patient records for small medical practices. Losing OneNote Office API integration decreases the Microsoft value proposition.

80 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Documentation on how to create and update nested lists in onenote pages.

Currently I cant get nested lists to be updated or created. Can you please provide better documentation.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • BUG: REST API - MathML is repeated throughout a page

When retrieving a page with MathML content, the math tags are repeated for every equation. The first instance is in the correct position, and the second is usually at the end.

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Requests throttling (suggested API call rate)

What is the suggested maximum OneNote API call rate (API requests per second) over thousands of API requests - in order to NOT get throttled by the service.

Or, put it in another way, that is the minimum suggested interval between single OneNote API requests, in order to avoid throttling - over thousands of requests needed to be made?

I would implement this throttling in my client-side code, but any reasonable call rate I've experimented with, currently still leads to throttling, beyond 1000 requests performed.

My use case is this: I need to mass-import data from OneNote notebooks under an…

6 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • BUG: REST API - Getting page collection of a section returns deleted pages

I noticed that requesting a page collection from a section will return a response with pages that were deleted already. This does not always occur. In my scenario I deleted pages from the OneNote web app and made a call to the following endpoint:

https://www.onenote.com/api/v1.0/me/notes/sections/{section-id}/pages/

Both current and deleted pages were returned in the response.

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • insert sharepoint form in onenote

Hi,
              I would like to create fields in OneNote page who would inform a SharePoint Library.

9 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • ODATA 'search' for OneNote Business

I was somewhat shocked when an API tech told me you can't search OneNote Business pages via the API to find the note you need to retrieve or modify.

I'm sure there are some permissions concerns, but without being able to search using the API is extremely inefficient and not really usable for many purposes.

Please prioritize giving your paid business customers the same features as your free consumers can get.

57 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  9 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Solve the error code: 10013

Solve the error code: 10013 removing the limit of 20000 items in onedrive (as well as the error with the limit of 5000 item in onenote)

8 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Webhooks for Office 365 Notes

Webhooks now work for OneDrive accounts which is great, but we've got Office 365 Business clients clamoring for the same functionality. I know there are privacy and access concerns to be addressed here, but Evernote solved them and I'm sure Microsoft will too.

It's always tough when paying Business users feel behind free users in functionality. Hope this can be addressed soon.

99 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      7 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Get/Put RAW page data

Hi,

I want to get and put the raw data for a page, so that I don't have to parse the HTML rendered page and download the resources, and maybe have to wait for another API for supporting Ink or other extension generated data. And I'd like to avoid generate multipart http request just to restore what I downloaded.

And want this integrated to MS GRAPH API C# DLL so that I don't have to create raw http(s) request.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Make tags on the entire note available through the API

Although OneNote tags on page elements (e.g. <p>) show up in the HTML content returned via the REST API prefixed with a data-tag attribute, tags on the entire note are not returned.
                        Jorge Aguirre believes that the right way of representing this information is to add the data-tag attribute to the HTML->head->title element.
                        More about this feature (or rather, current lack of it) at:
                        https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47025309/any-way-to-get-the-tag-on-a-note-not-just-a-page-element-via-onenote-rest-api

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Classroom Notebook backs up the teacher and alllllll of the student content. Taking up major space on teacher's hard drive. The teachers c

Classroom Notebook backs up the teacher and alllllll of the student content. Taking up major space on teacher's hard drive. The teachers content only needs to be backed up and the students has their own backup. This has to be addresses - Soon, please!!

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Onenote tags

I am syncing OneNote notebooks into my application using MS graph API. Onenote has few tags like To-Do, Important, Question etc. When I fetch html content for particular page these tags comes as data-tag like in -

<p lang="en-US" data-tag="important" style="margin-top:0pt;margin-bottom:0pt"><span lang="en-GB">Abc</p>
                            How can I replace these tags with the icon with which they are represented in OneNote UI. If I think to skip these tags the notes look very weird.

There has to be rest api which gives you binary content or some metadat information about tag provided tag type (name) like to-do

10 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • API to identify deleted notebooks/sections/groups IDs

Existing API's do not provide a way to identify deleted notebooks/sections/pages. Request you to provide an API to provide the list of items got deleted from a given date.

This will be useful in case of offline apps where it syncs periodically to OneNote server.

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Add createdBy, createdDateTime, lastModifiedBy and lastModifiedDateTime to individual page elements via OneNote Graph API

OneNote definitely has author information about individual edits within a page (i.e. individual divs or whatever), as this can be viewed through the API. We would like this information through the Graph API.

4 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Webhooks via Graph API

Please add webhooks on Graph API.

I assume this is on the roadmap, but there is nothing mentioned. There are several gaps that make moving to graph (and supporting business notebooks) difficult.

So far, we cannot get webhooks or update pages via Graph. Some indication that we will be able to soon support these features would be great.

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    2 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • API support for page versionning

It should possible take a backup copy of page using the same mechanism as the application built-in versioning mechanism.
                                    Eg. Before modying a page with the Rest API.

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • notebook color

Add a 'color' property to the 'notebook' object.

With a 'color' property, apps developed with the API could present a more uniform experience across different devices and domains.

4 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • API bug of Input HTML when creating new pages with non-contributing default div

Hi,

Just came across this bug when trying to create an empty page and append content to it later through data-id.

The HTML I used to create the empty page is:
                                        <!DOCTYPE html>
                                        <html>
                                        <head>
                                        <title>some title generated</title>
                                        <meta name="created" content="some time string generated" />
                                        </head>
                                        <body>
                                        <div data-id="_clippings"></div>
                                        </body>
                                        </html>

The page was created successfully but when I tried to update it later, the response is data-id not found.
                                        So I tried to get the HTML body of the page created and it was like this:
                                        <html lang="en-US">
                                        <head>
                                        <title>test without content</title>
                                        <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
                                        <meta name="created"…

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Search/Filter using data-tags (like data-tag="to-do")

I am developing a script which will copy all the content from several pages having " data-tag='to-do' ". It would be much easier to fetch the particular contents of the page by filtering it using onenote tags. But currently I have to access each and every page as such features are not yet available in API.
                                          Please enhance the filters by implementing filter using OneNote tags.

28 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4
                                          • Don't see your idea?

OneNote Developer APIs

Feedback and Knowledge Base