How can we improve the OneNote APIs and developer platform? Vote for an existing idea or share a new one.

markdown support right from onenote, just like the brand new wordpress addin

OneNote page to markdown would be great

3,836 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Gathering feedback  ·  OneNote API Team Admin responded  · 

Hi there,
We would like to get more feedback on which of the two scenarios are more important to you:
1. The ability to create new pages in OneNote from markdown? OR
2. The ability to recall OneNote pages as markdown?

203 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Option 1) for me.

I think it would make the most practical sense to develop & deliver this option 1st.
    Option 2 would easily follow.

• Borek Bernard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Integrating Markdown with OneNote will not be an easy feat but boy, it would be useful. I like writing all sorts of texts in OneNote but it is then quite hard to publish them anywhere because the HTML is full of OneNote-specific markup. Markdown export would make the things so much easier. So #2 would have the most added value for me.

Regarding #1, it sounds nice in theory but I cannot quite imagine how it would be implemented. Would the WYSIWYG editor be replaced with some simple text editor? What to do with all the ribbons and buttons that could not be used in the simplified "Markdown mode"? It would probably only create a confusing user experience.

So I'd start with #2, it's much easier and would still be greatly useful.

• Matthew Conto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to do both so I can both convert my existing notes into OneNote and export my notes in a syntactically minimal way (for blogging).

• Shashank Shekhar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ideally both, but I would prefer ability to export notes to markdown.
    This would allow me to continue writing content in OneNote and then share parts of it on my blog as markdown.

• Vladimir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1) Creating and *editing* new pages from markdown

I would be fine with an option : "This page can only be edited using the Markdown syntax"; of course, that defeats the purpose of online WYSISWYG

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New pages in markdown mode by default (maybe customisable).

For existing pages, maybe a tool to check and convert to 'markdown pages'.

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd have to say both are important to me, though if I had to choose one it would probably be #1.

Regarding #2 (export), I could see lots of types of content/combinations that are possible in OneNote that might not translate to markdown very well, but even partial export support would be a huge plus.

• Geoff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the feedback gathering questions are flawed and need further defining.
    1) The ability to create new pages in OneNote from markdown?
    Does this mean you can type markdown and it will convert to a style in onenote? If this is the case you should definitely fix the bug in OneNote that it doesn't properly use the styles from office first. The other issue that you will run into is how much of the markdown spec you integrate, and would you allow us to add our own style sheet. If you are just going to do the h1-h6 and normal then this feature itself is not that useful.

• Jamie Thomson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely more interested in creating pages from markdown rather than recalling as markdown (obviously both would be nice tho)

• konqui commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i'd prefer the 1st one.
    also integrate (github style markdown features such as creating todo lists like this...

- [ ] Todo 1
    - [x] Todo 2

x standing for done tick

Feedback and Knowledge Base